Has someone experienced these???

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Has someone experienced these???

Postby littleroo2 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:33 pm

Surviving 48 year old. Periods just started being mischevious but firstly for three consecutive months near period time awoke one night each month in a complete panic not knowing where I was or why I was frightened (lasted only briefly) Then this stopped and fine for next two months but after last period awoke with my own thoughts running riot in my head eventually calmed myself down so...... am I going to go MAD?
littleroo2

Postby cin-d-rella » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:55 am

Hi there L.Roo2,
I haven't had the exact experience you are talking about, but I have all of a sudden, out of no where, had panic attacks while awake. It is the most horrible feeling. You are not alone and certainly not mad. Everyone else is mad when we are in peri or meno, but heck, we are NORMAL !!! :wink: !!! It helps to remember that.........all the rest of them are the crazy ones !!!!! LOL Cin-d-rella .
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby drjudy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:36 am

Perimenopause is the most common time in a woman's life for her to develop panic attacks. Lovely, huh? And the day or two prior to periods in perimenopause is the time of greatest hormonal fluctuation, so it's the most common time to experience them.

At least perimenopause is on the way to the calm, wise menopausal place. Hang on, this gets better.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Thanks

Postby littleroo2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:03 am

Thank you for your replies both helpful and comforting. Had bad Panic attacks when 17 for 17 years kinda hoping I wasn't going to go Loopy Loo when the Menopause set in. When you know you are not alone it's easier to deal with these times and you can carry on when others hold your hand.
Littleroo2 :)
littleroo2

Postby mgr » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:15 am

I am also experiencing panic attacks. I started the peri thing about a year and half ago. Been through just about every symptom you can think of, now in the past 6-8 months, I have had several panic attacks. These attacks makes me not want to shop or go in places, even when I feel well, just because I don't know when its going to happen. I am 41 years old, a little early for peri but its happening and I have to deal with it. I take Ativan when it gets really bad but even when I don't need medication I still have the fear that a panic attack may happen. Anyone else taking medication for the panic attacks or anxiety. And also I'm wondering when or if I should take something on a daily basis, like paxil.
I am trying to avoid doing that, but at 41 I still need a quailty lifestyle.

Thanks,
MGR
mgr
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:37 pm

I know that worrying about having attacks can actually bring them on at times, so maybe you could try some meditation or some other thought process that will give you more control when you might be approaching a possibly stressful situation. Not that you can predict when it will happen, of course, but maybe a regular schedule of breathing exercises and meditation each day will give you a more peaceful day.

I took anti-depressants for 5 years and feel that it really helped me get back in balance. You might want to try a combination of lighter meds with the techniques I mentioned above, with the idea that you're not going to have to take it forever. Just experiment a little so you know what your body needs. I even think that being more conscious and knowledgeable about our health helps us be in control and therefore, less anxiety.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby mgr » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:58 pm

What medications are you referring to, (lighter meds)?

MGR
mgr
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:17 pm

You mentioned Paxil....I'm just saying you don't have to start with a large dosage to find out if a little might help.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Panic attacks

Postby littleroo2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:48 pm

So sorry to learn that you are going through these terrible symptoms, I though was kinda stubborn and did not want to take the Diazapam and would hardly take any and put up with multiple attacks everyday. I found it easier to go out at night as I did not feel that everyone was looking at me. I eventually found that Vitamin B6 and Evening Primrose oil taken 2 weeks before my periods greatly reduce my symptoms that I felt almost normal BUT I do not know if this is helpful during Peri menopause. I then still had reoccurances when I became stressed and turned to Natracalm a herbal remedy here in the uk which is of the Passiflora family. About every five years I get overloaded with family stress and then the Doctor gives me 2mg of Diazapam which in fact I still have from the previous time. Also what contributes to my anxiety is low blood sugar (not Diabetes) and I have found it best to have little snacks to keep me topped up plus decaff Tea, coffee no coca cola or too much chocolate that again sends me over the top. Hope this is of some help there are things that will help you it is mostly trial and error but you will find something.
:) cause your worth it.
Littleroo2
littleroo2

Postby Dee M » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:32 am

I have been taking the anti anxiety meds for awhile, I an NEW at this board, please help me.I can not remember anything. My children and family think I am crazy and "bitchy/crabby" I need people like me at age 47 who are either seriously menopausal or pre!
I work at a restaurant and I am the token "joke" that needs a note to remember what needs to be done. I am a good person , but I have lost my life. I am too tired to take my 14 yr old (I usually do many things with him) but lately I can not get out of the bed!
Help

Dee
Dee M

Postby colopam » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:56 am

Dee M

You're in good company, just peruse the different forums and you'll find that alot of us have this horrible symptom!!LOL My DH teases me when I can't remember something saying "this perimenopause can be fun", I used to carry around a clipboard with my "portable memory" on it AND a note attached saying "return to Pam if lost as she gets too many things going on and can't remember anything!" My current job we're encouraged to "have a plan" so mine goes right in my two notebooks day by day. The search function at the top of the page can help look for subjects you're interested in OR just jump in OR start a new subject. The ladies here are of great help and support (and FUN!!!). Glad to see you here, keep your chin up and try to laugh!! Humor helps as you'll see here.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Memory loss (the lights are on but no one's home)

Postby littleroo2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Dee M, this horrible memory loss seems to be NORMAL in the world of Menopausal stages. I have notes stuck by the front door to check before I go out. I have reminders on my mobile phone to go off as back up. One reason is I'm trying to do and remember 100 things at once as when I was young and quite capable. My teenage children make a joke of my amnesia so I too laugh ( better than getting uptight) and don't take it too much to heart even when I'm driving and go straight past the turning I wanted because my mind is on the shopping the dinner etc. There are genuine people here that only want to help each other as we are in the same boat after all.
Regards from old blighty (UK) :lol:
littleroo2

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause