Curious about symptoms

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Curious about symptoms

Postby LadyKOM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:25 pm

­I am curious....I got my period on the 10th. 24 days which is pretty "normal" for me...I get it every 23-27 days or so.
It was not too heavy and seemed to linger past 7 days....had very light trace after that going into even 14 days. Now it's been 17 days and I got it again...it's a full blown period light cramps and all. I just turned 46, so is this "normal" for the start of meno perhaps?
Has anyone else gone thru something like this?
BB
Krissy )0(
Brightest Blessings!
Lady K
LadyKOM

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:59 pm

I go through stuff like that. My periods used to be dead-on every 28 days. Now they're irregular and I can't keep track of them. I still circle the day on the calendar that I start (I've been doing that since I was a child- I started at nine years old). I have two a month now, anywhere from every 18 to 27 days. One is always heavy and crampy and bad; the other is light and almost a waste of time to have.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby LadyKOM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 pm

this never seemed to stop tho...when i got it on the 10th it was *normal* then it was trace every day right up until the 17th day when i got it again! So I wonder if this is the start of it?
Brightest Blessings!
Lady K
LadyKOM

Postby minniepauz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:50 am

Welcome LadyKom....sounds like you have caught yourself in the beginning days of perimenopause! I never paid that much attention to my periods so never noticed if things were starting to change. :) (of course, I was only 41 when my periods completely stopped and back then no one was talking about it all).

The basic theory is that as soon as things start becoming irregular, you can pretty much bet it's the beginning. The tough part is not knowing how long it's going to last or what symptoms you will have. The best advice I can give you is to hang around here to read about everyone's experiences and expect the unexpected! Try to keep an upbeat attitude too....that will help!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:22 am

This will drive you bonkers, as it did me. I started off trying to keep track of it in a diary then, after a few months, just threw the diary away as it was driving me crazy. Periods last for 15 days, then a few days gap, then a horrible slow discharge that lasts for another three weeks, then nothing for six weeks, then it is like Niagara Falls in my knickers for three days .... need I go on?
You will now carry sanitary protection with you wherever you go ... even if you are popping to the shops for ten minutes! I have been caught out so many times and in fact even wear a pad on 'clean' days if I am going out for a long time ... just in case.
For me it has been two years of this but I have been 'dry' for six weeks and counting ....
*checks tampon in handbag just in case ...*
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:37 pm

Know the feeling, I keep a stash of tampons EVERYWHERE!!! In the car, in my purse, in my toolbox!! In my pocket.
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Genteel41 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi - glad to know I'm not the only one. I haven't got anyone at work going through the same stage of this that I am, my mother is gone so I've been looking for some reassurance that what happens to me every month is normal. I've been doing these "weird periods" now for I think 3 years or so. I too, also used to keep a diary and finally gave up trying to keep it straight! I just try very hard to stay on an even keel, lost 67 pounds, try to remain active, eat right, etc. so as to lessen all symptoms but there are days (!) I'm glad to have found this site!
Genteel41

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:49 pm

We're glad you found us too, Genteel! You've probably already read several posts that sound just like what you've been through, but even if you haven't you can be SURE that you sound right in the norm of things. :) It's always good to see your doc just to make sure there's nothing else going on (and to have a good baseline of hormone levels to compare with down the road) but if the worst complaint is irregular periods, it's most likely peri-menopause.

Congratulations on the 67lbs!! That, more than anything, will help you get through menopause a lot easier because you will just FEEL better and be more active. How did you do it? I'm about ready to start back on Atkins, myself. I've been letting it all go for two years since I quit smoking...now I feel like hell because I've gained back what I lost 4 years ago (55lbs). What a time we women have!!! :yuck:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Genteel41 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks - I did it through Weight Watchers. I love their meetings and all the great support and tips you get. Plus, you never have to buy special food, cut out a food group or count carbs, etc. It shows you how to eat real food - all you're really doing is watching portions and you can have anything you want. I lost that weight even eating Trader Joe's dark chocolate raisins every week! I still eat them now - it's all about portions. I don't feel any better having lost the weight (at least not physically) as I had no problems before it but mentally is a whole other story! I'm hoping if the hot flashes arrive it will help not being heavy to start with. That's one thing I have enjoyed not having the extra weight; I can wear sweaters again (or even layer them) as I don't get too warm to wear them like I did all those pounds ago.

I took a survey recently to see where I fall in the range of perimenopause symptoms and it said mild - I would hate to think what it amounts to in the moderate to severe phase!! This is bad enough!
Genteel41

Postby colopam » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Re: the tampon stash above. Had to have my toolbox checked before leaving a store and a young man asked what was in the small plastic container...the girl next to him knew that I kept my extra tampons in there and told him they were ceiling fan bumpers!! All the new safety stuff! Poor kid! doesn't ask anymore! :tmi: Now it's the joke up front! (I'm the merchandiser at the electric dept. build displays etc)..

Just a note: Now I'm sure I'm experiencing cold chills, preferable to the warmies, esp. here in FL!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Sandykins » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Genteel41 wrote:I took a survey recently to see where I fall in the range of perimenopause symptoms and it said mild - I would hate to think what it amounts to in the moderate to severe phase!! This is bad enough!
Where did you find a survey? I'd be interested in taking one.
If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Theresa
Sandykins
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:10 pm

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Genteel41 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 pm

I think I saw it on WebMD the other day when I went to the Menopause boards.
Birth year: 1960
Genteel41

Postby Genteel41 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 pm

BTW, DEE - I love your avatar! I know a friend at work would love it too since the minute she sits down that fan is on her all day long! LOL
Birth year: 1960
Genteel41

Postby Sandykins » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks, Dee!!
If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Theresa
Sandykins
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause