Teeth sensitivity?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Teeth sensitivity?

Postby Lori » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:32 am

Anyone have unusually senstive teeth lately?

It started about 2 months ago, I got a new sonic care and though maybe it was because of that. I use sensodyne, stopped the sonic and try not to brush hard. But they hurt and it hurts to drink cold water as I usually do all day long.

I have my 6 month check up on 2/5 so I will check with the dentist, but want to know if anyone else is experiencing this lovely symptom. They just keep adding up :lol:
Lori
On Fire!

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:03 am

Lori

I've used my Sonicare for mores than 20 years (gasp... I didn't think it was that long!! wow!) LOVE it!!! I do know that tooth problems can happen during the peri/meno times, definately something to check out with the doc. This was a post awhile ago, might shed some light!!
http://minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=teeth
HUgs Pam
Last edited by colopam on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Lori » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks for the link Pam.
I will ask the dentist when I see her next month.
Lori
On Fire!

sensitive teeth

Postby Marcia Linden » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi, I am a dental hygienist & deal with sensitive teeth all day long. Hormones can make the gum tissue sensitive and bleed more. Won't cause tooth sensitivity, however if the tissue is inflamed and or receeding the resulting root exposure can be sensitive. Get back on the Sonicare they will help as they will keep the tissue healthier. (Yes, they really are great and work, I strongly recommend them for everyone) Stay on the sensitivity toothpaste. You might try an over the counter fluoride mouth rinse as they deduce decay and so help with sensitivity. When you see you dentist or hygieniest, ask about having a Fl varnish applied to reduce sensitivity. I have been doing that for my severely sensitive patients and had great results with that, the patients really can feel the differnce. Good luck, and oh, one other thing is sinus problems can make teeth, especially the uppers very sensitive as the root are up in the sinus area. Usually pressure and achey from sinus.
Marcia RDH
Marcia Linden

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info, Marcia (my sis spells her name the same way :))

Here's a very good article that talks specifically about hormones and dental health: http://www.minniepauz.com/dental-health.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Marcia
Thanks for the info. What do you think of the new rinses that help replace the minerals etc. to teeth? Do they work?? Are they worth it?? I also like my waterpik and find it a good addition to flossing (got hit in the mouth with a swingset when I was 3, broke my nose, jaw and knocked out my teeth, didn't have any front ones for 6 yrs, but lucky according to the doc to have any so I try to take care of them)

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

tooth sensitivity & rinses

Postby Marcia Linden » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:54 am

Xylitol is the new wonder substance for teeth. There are now gums that have this in it. It not only is sugarless, but actually remineralizes. This is probobly what you mean. Yes, the dental community is pushing it and from what we are being told, does work. Can't repair decay but will go in where tooth structure is starting to break down and will actually remineralize it. This will stop from forming full fledged decay. It think there are some mouthwashes with it in it also, can't remember right off hand. Will be put right up there next to fluoride as far as prevention goes. We will be hearing more on it in the future if all research holds up.( I am very cautious when ever anything new comes out. Seen too many products not hold up to original claims.)
Marcia RDH
Marcia Linden

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm really interested in this topic because, about three months ago, I bought a Sonic brush and now, occasionally, I am getting sore gums and tooth tingling! I am due to see my dentist in a week's time for a check-up but I'm interested to hear that hormonal ups and downs can sensitise the teeth. Isn't this an interesting subject? Weird, heh?
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause