Do dizzy spells (with the room rolling) need to be checked?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Do dizzy spells (with the room rolling) need to be checked?

Postby dlh » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the support! Is is great to have somewhere to ask these questions since no one seems to talk about menopause.

I'm 43 and a few months ago i started getting symptoms of starting menopause (irregular periods, breast enlargement - i didn't know that would happen - and very bad nausea during my period.) I went to my doctor and he said i'm starting menopause.

Two nights ago when i rolled over, i suddenly started seeing the room roll around - it was really scary. It lasted about 30 seconds. And then i got a hot flash. It has happened twice since them (all at night and all when i rolled over on my right side). They have gotten a bit longer (last one was about 1.5 minutes. It is very strange and gets me nauseous - last time i was close to throwing up (i have no idea how i'll get to the bathroom if i do need to throw up during one of these). I've been feeling a bit dizzy over the last day as well. Is this just menopause symptoms or should i get this checked out? I'm in the middle of my cycle right now.

thanks for whatever advice people can give me,
Debbie
Debbie
dlh

Postby colopam » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:59 am

dlh

Welcome!!! Yep we DO talk about meno/peri and all sorts of other things. Please feel free to peruse the board I think you'll find alot of info. Dr. Judy is probably the one to ask but I wouldn't be at all surprised if meno might have something to do with it...tinnitus happens alot with meno but I'd probably suggest having your Dr. check too as it could be an upset with the inner ear or various other problems. I hate the vertigo feeling probably worse than anything.

Hope to see you around more!!
HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby michelilow » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi Debbie,
your post really stood out for me as I have been having these epsiodes since I turned 40, four years ago!
I have had benign positional vertigo though previously & now don't sleep on my left side at all but the sensation you are talking about is pretty horrendous. :cry:
I have discovered though that mine seem to happen if I am suffering from really bad anxiety at the time. I am normally in a deep sleep when they do happen & I don't even have to move. I had an episode only two weeks ago & I had to get up for an hour as I felt so nauseous. It also makes me go into a panic attack but I am learning to control these better now.
Another thing I have also noticed before these spinning sensations happen, is I get electric shock like sensations a couple of days before in my head. It is just like someone as stunned you with a cattle prod. They only last a couple of seconds but they are are unnerving.
I am still having what you would call regular periods, even though one month may be lighter than the other. I suffer from really bad moods though that make me fly into a rage. :twisted:
So you are not alone in your suffering! :)
Take care Michele
michelilow
On Fire!

Postby colopam » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Michele and Debbie
I wonder if any of those symproms could be some sort of migraine??? There are so many differnet symptoms of migraine that you wouldn't suspect ....hmmm something to think about

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby michelilow » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi Pam,
I have recently been diagnosed with fybromyalgia, so do you think these symptoms might be part of this illness as well? :? I have dreadful headaches, shoulder & neck pains & seem to be forever taking painkillers to get me through. I have balance probs some days to contend with & yesterday I stood in the school playground feeling like I was on a boat out at sea! Everything is much worse on the left side of my body than the right. Some days are a a struggle as I feel 90! :(
I have tried accupuncture but I am very sensitive to it & it made me feel really depressed, which with me is a bad thing! :(
My GP is useless to say the least, as he never sent me to have tests to check if it really was fybro but I had already worked that much out myself anyway. The National Health system here in the UK is one big joke to most people! :lol:
Michele
michelilow
On Fire!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Postby dlh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions - it really helps! (Although i don't like to hear that this might be a problem for multiple years - yikes!) Luckily i haven't expereinced the dizzy spells since i first posted so mine might be just an ear infection or something (hopefully). I can't imagine having this for a long time - Those of you putting up with it must be very resourceful to deal with it!

regards,
Debbie
Debbie
dlh

Postby KayB » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm

I have been having this issue too lately or it seems to be similar...
KayB
Combustible

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 am

just a thought, check out if you have labyringthitis,, which I think is an infection of the inner ear. Problems with balance, room spinning, etc., can often be traced to ear problems although labyrinthitis is quite a serious condition although it can be treated with medicine. I knew a lady who had this, and her symptoms sounded just like yours; however, I think you have to be pushy with the doctor to get them to specifically look for this condition.
Good luck.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby oldcowgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 am

I haven't been on here for a while, had a P last Nov and nothing since, was having night sweats then too, then everything quit for a while, thought I breezed through Menopause, LOL.. and suprise had another period last week, BUT the electric prod thing, that happens to me, at night, when I lay down and almost drift off to sleep... I feel like sometimes I am moving, like on a ride, and I am not, and then all of the sudden, right before I doze off, I hear a buzz and feel like I was shocked! last year I was having all kinds of thyroid problems, getting regulated, I went to an ear nose and throat dr for the balance issues, he couldn't find anything, had terrible ringing in the ears.. that has gotten better. I am glad I came back over here to read the list of symptoms again, it is wierd for all of this stuff to start happening to you~
oldcowgirl
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:56 am

Yes, it is weird how it all changes so much. There's just no way to get it all in focus at the same time. I've been saying for 10 years that the only thing we can expect is the unexpected! :)

I hope this batch of symptoms is not too hard on you and just holler if you need some ideas on how to get through. Peri can last a good 10 years so it ain't over til it's over and nobody knows how long it's gonna take! We'll be here for you though!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:03 am

It's so reassuring to see all this discussed and to know that I'm not going barmy, or that I'm the only one that this is happening to. Just the other day I had a strange 'out of my head' moment, felt really spaced out and had to sit down. I really thought I was going to faint. I know this wasn't a blood sugar thing, or fatigue - in fact I was just walking along the road feeling fine and then came over all strange and had to sit down on a garden wall until it passed. This has happened a few times since, but today is a good day. Having said that, it all coincided with a very heavy period that I'm having at the moment - three months of blissful nothing, and then WHAM - back to the heavy-duty sanitary towels and handbag stuffed full of emergency towel and spare knickers, just in case.
Sorry to get so graphic but you ladies know EXACTLY what I mean, and it's so refreshing to have a good old moan about this all and to imagine that you sage ladies are sitting there, nodding your head and thinking "yup, been there, done that".
Anyway, it's a sunny spring day here in London. Despite my foggy head and clogged-up uterus, I shall go out and celebrate the sunshine and sit in my garden, drinking a cool glass of wine. Cheers, everyone!
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:27 am

Have a wonderful day, Gorgeous!! I'm so envious when I hear you talking about walking on the road and the "garden walls"...I wish I was there with you to enjoy this lovely spring day! Hope you're feeling well, also! :bfly:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks for the good wishes, Dee, and they are reciprocated five-fold with a bunch of spring daffodils on the side!.
Back to the subject, however, a new development - these last few days I have been having some very dizzy moments, standing up suddenly and coming over all "wobbly" and feeling quite peculiar. My blood pressure (normally low) is now very low (99/60) and I'm still bleeding quite heavily. Rang the doctor who says that heavy bleeding may have lowered my pressure, take it easy, come along if it gets worse etc. She's a lovely woman but she's in her early thirties so the menopause is something she reads about in a book and has no real experience of. I suspect she would like to send me away with a prescription for HRT but I'm determined to go the vitaminroute for as long as I can.
My question (and sorry, ladies, this gets a little graphic, turn away if you don't want to read on): my bleedings are occasionally very red, fresh blood and occasionally dark brown old clottings (yukand double-yuk!) but, this time round, for the last week it has been very red fresh blood and thre's quite a lot of it. Where is it all coming from? Other than the light-headedness, I feel fine - but should there be so much fresh blood?
I look forward to receiving some sensible, calming wisdom from all you sage and sympathetic ladies out there ...
EDIT - two days later. All bleeding stopped, very suddenly. Like it never happened. What are my ovaries up to these days ....?
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

dizzy head

Postby pattitherip » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm

hi hey ive been having the same things, feel kinda light headed, not dizzy just kinda in a fog. i was fine a week ago, and then bam, can anyone describe just what the hot flash actually feels like, i thought i had 1 a week ago, i had this weird sensation come over me and thought whoa what the hell was that. ever since then ive been kinda foggy not all the time just some time.
pattitherip

Postby minniepauz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:43 pm

the main thing is most hotflashes seem to start from inside and radiate outward. I used to get them on the back of my neck mostly, but I've also had them where my entire body felt overheated.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause