Its been awhile? interesting Diagnoses

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Its been awhile? interesting Diagnoses

Postby ckvk45 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Dee , Hi to All,
I have not been around too much lately ...Seems i had a surge of good health with my back and had been busy...Only to have it fall thru ...i went on a ultra low dose estrogen patch called Menostar several months ago...i couldnt really tell if it it helped ...cept my back and nerve pain improved ...my gums stopped bleeding and hot flashes or cold flashes lessed a bit ...as did my migraine headaches ...I still had not shown full meno hormone levels all the time( some test were post meno level , other times i had estradiol of 100) ..so this small dose seemed enough...i went off 5 weeks ago ..only to reinjure my leg ...then have a host of pain ...return ...just recently ..joint aches, muscle tenderness , muscle cramps .pins , needles , weird stuff..along with mega migrianes ...
the doc did hosts of tests ...I came back Vitamin D deficient ...( lab values range from 32-100) mine was 14.....he did not run calcium levels ...wish he did ..i am back next week for more tests ...i started 1000IU cholecalciferol last week( at docs request) ...immediatly i got nausea, dizzy and a metal taste in my now dry mouth ...along with increasing muscle irritability ...this has gotten worse, add anxiety and feeling all around strange to the mix ...of course i had a migriane and symptoms of low estrogen this week as well
hoping tests do not come back that i had some hidden illness ( like sarcoidosis) or something worse ... Doc had me cut the dose in half...if i still felt yuck skip it till i see him ...i skipped a day ..felt a bit better ..only to take it today and feel crappy again :(
i do not think i had been consuming enough calcium ( i did take magnesium though) at all either ...
so we shall see
its interesting to have a Vitamin D deficiency ...something i never thought about at all .....i am only 45 .Maybe the small amount of estrogen helped hold on to the D and calcium ...now bang
Maybe the brand of D dosent agree with me :( Hoping its simple
Hope you are doing well ...I missed you all
V
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby drjudy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:07 am

Hi V,

Vitamin D deficiency is much more common than we realize, especially in the winter sunless months. If you live anywhere the sun is shining--and I trust it is shining somewhere though we're hardly seeing it in Denver--perhaps you could get out for 10 minutes per day with some bare unsunscreened skin hanging out. D-deficiency can cause body aches and pains.

I'm sorry you're having a time of it again. Let us know how things turn out.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi Dr Judy ,
Thanks for the reply ...I am feeling better since i stopped that D
( maybe the brand isnt agreeing with meCholecalciferol
from G*C can i use the co name ?)
I am amazed at all the new concerns i see about D...from pain to SAD,to many other serious health concerns ..still some in study i suppose ... The sun exposure has been an issue ..I always loved my sunny deck in the mornings with coffee.usually i had sunscreen on ...i am actually craving the sun now lol weird ...but its 10 degrees right now Yikesssssssss
I am bugging hubby for a way to heat an area and still be able to get out there lol
My doc is even considering the depression times i have ,more so in the fall, winter ect lately are from this ...Also tested my estradiol and minerals yesterday ..still waitning on this ...
Even looking at articles many women are deficient ...
interesting stuff
Docs here are just testing for this lately ...
Wishing you all a Happy , Healthy Day!
Hugs !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby colopam » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 am

Good Morning V!

I know that D is best from the sun and I know they add D to milk and OJ to help people reach their D levels but there are also lamps that have the same wavelengths of light, some are sold therapeutically for treatment of SAD or even skin conditions like psoriasis but I know that Home Depot has a table lamp that has the same bulbs and is called the sunlight lamp. I hated it when I'd be getting up very early then go straight to school (or vice versa) and never see the sun really, getting out also helps my insomnia I thinks it's something to do with the pituatary gland and melatonin production. Couldn't live in Seattle and have been blessed with living in Colorado, TN, and Fl.

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi Pam ,
I was unable to get to the website yesterday ..must be AOL ...I am wanting to get my D from the sun 8) ..or a light therapy ..i know we should stay out of the tanning beds , but i am so tempted lol

i am not liking the vitamin supplement ...i have a new one ....still made me feel kinda yuck( could be hormones ) ...My tests done on Monday came back with Calcium right in the middle and phosp also ...so i am ok there ...To my surprise after months of low homones and all that goes with it ...I had an estradiol level of 237!!!!
so, i ovulated, or imcomplete lol ...and terribly i might add ...i felt it yesterday and today ...very sore breasts and very bloated ....nausea...too much juice ( anxiety lol) ...i had my yearly check up at the Gyn for next week , i left a message ...she called about the hormone level ...lol ...the way i feel i may have a darn cyst .. having endometriosis i need to keep an eye on the ovary ......that could explain all the weird stuff i had in the past 2 weeks ...a mega up down up in hormones ...imagine all this with only one ovary and no uterus lol
Isnt Peri fun ??lol
well, it has warmed up here a bit from last week ..a big 10 degrees ...last week i had hot flashes ...now i am freezing , like cold flashes ...
it figures :roll:
It was great to hear from you !
hugs !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby colopam » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm

V
I love the tanning beds on a cold day but don't like what they do to the skin over time. These lamps tho don't tan, they look just like regular desk lamps but the wavelength is like that of the sun. My friends and I down here love to go to the beach early in the morning (not right now tho, it's too cold!!). Love getting my D that way. We go early in the morning cuz it's not so hot or crowded and the sun's rays are gentler, we leave about 11 a.m. and go have lunch (and maybe margueritas!! LOL) they may not be good for vitamin D but they sure are good!! and we get "girl" time together.

Now we're just hitting the flea markets, they've got great vegetables and fruits (the strawberries are awesome right now! and the strawberry festival is coming up!!). they're partly outside so that counts too!!

See ya!! Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi Pam,
How i would love the beach right now lol i never liked the tanning beds either ...i did indulge some in my younger years :wink:
do the desk lamp lights produce any vitamin D synthesis in the skin ?
I was actually sitting by an open window in the sun after a shower ,exposing my arms and legs yesterday ...i do not know if it will help any ...but i did get some sun lol...What a cold breeze ! The deck is still covered with snow ...Waiting for Spring ...

Now the strawberries i could definitley stand !!!!!! i just finished the 2 jars of fresh strawberry jam my mother-in-law made(2006) ..the season was good last year for them ...
Eating is something i am big on this week lol
Eat some for me !
Have Fun !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby colopam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:11 am

V

I'll see if the packaging ways anything about it today.

We're having morning fog this week...just heard the tv announcer state "we're under a heavy fog warning ...due to heavy fog" DUH!!! Sometime what they say or how they say it crack me up!
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am

Pam,
LMBO! :lol: That gave me a good giggle this morning ! i need it ...i think the Peri PMS is starting .. Oh I need a massage , Or my hubby may have to go on vacation for a week or so :twisted:
have a great day !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby colopam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Hey V!!!
I checked the lamp info this a.m. and it says that it does help in the production of vitamin D the floor model is $49 and the deck top is $39 and the company is Hampton Bay....I think a look at their website might find something or a trip to the loval Home Depot!!

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Pam ,
Thanks so very much ..I will sure check this out ... I will need it lol
We have more impending colder weather on its way , with a possible snowstorm Tuesday ...Oh where is spring ???
Again Thanks !
happy Sunday
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Postby colopam » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Spring is on vacation down here in Tampa!! LOL it's beautiful down here right now tho the leaves are just now falling. Have had the backdoor open for the dogs today and for the fresh air. The nights have been coolish (in the 40's etc) but the days have been in the 70-low 80's, won't be long til we're out on the beach again. Just got the pool clean but still WAAAAAY too cold to swim. They're having a Salsa festival next weekend close by, representing the over 40 latino cultures in the area...sounds like FUN!! and the state fair is going right now and the strawberry festival is coming up. ALWAYS something to do....and generally we don't get around to doing it!! DH has days off in the middle of the week and works til 9...I have weekends off and generally get off no later than 4 (his'll change soon tho). I do miss the cooler westher sometimes and the winter sports but DH would rather never to see anything cold 'cept the ice in his drink.
Keep the faith, spring will be coming soon!!

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Hi Pam ,
well spring better get here lol we just went thru a terrible ice storm ...we had no electric ...it is still in the 20's ..there is ice everywhere ...5 inches of packed ice and snow ...
I did get the lamp from home depot ..its actually quite attractive ..
i am using it ..we will see how i feel ..
Enjoy the salsa ...sounds so fun ..its cold and boring here right now ..
feeling like crap here today
after that high estradiol level on the 5th( mid cycle) ..i am feeling bad still its been ten days ...i am so stiff in the muscles( upper back , traps area) it isnt funny :( bloating , sore boobs(still) wanting to eat boston cream donuts every day ( and i have lol) ..so guess what is coming ? the big drop ...
i had my gyn yearly appt yesterday ..i am going to try prometrium
and go back on the low dose menostar , but i need to wait a few more days ..till this comes down ...oh boy lol
its odd ..Doc doesnt know , but it seems i was on this menostar ..maybe my pituitary didnt think it needed to call to my ovary so aggressively :) this big wham came just a few weeks after i took it off ....i havent had a whopper like this since last spring ...i could do without another one :shock:
Doc smiles ..wishing we could stop this from happening to us ...lol terrible peri....she is see's it allot with patients in this age group , another case was a woman whom had an estradiol level of 400 to have it be 10 on the second day of her period ..No wonder we feel like loose cannons :twisted: ...wish i could figure out which hormone is making my darn body hurt ...seems the day i had (237) estradiol i felt less pain ...i think i had 3 entire days with no pain lol...then its been downhill since
do you in peri get these wild extremes ? they stink ...
have a good one !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause