Perimenopause Symptoms?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Perimenopause Symptoms?

Postby jennykerty » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 pm

I am 45 years old and had a hysterectomy in 2004. (I kept my ovaries) I still have cycles, but it is hard for me to attribute some symptoms to PMS or perimenopause because I have no period to gauge things....

I wake often in the night--very rarely sleep straight thru the night. I have been a bit irritable and now have some IBS symptoms. Some of these are the same things I used to experience right before my period--but now they all have been taken up a notch.

I guess I'm just trying to make some sense of all this. Do symptoms often come and go, or do they stay forever?

Thanks
Jenny
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Jenny and welcome to the forum....we cover the gamut here with women in their first day of perimenopause (or last day of PMS :)) to women like myself who have been post menopausal for 15 years. There just is no definite minute when it all becomes crystal clear as to what point you're at. It's a blending of the old familiar symptoms of PMS with the sometimes brand new symptoms of peri---or it could be a dramatic change in how you feel or think, to the point where you think you must be inhabiting someone else's body!

The best thing you can do is read what other women have gone through (this is a great place to do that) and you will find that you relate to many of the stories on various levels. You will be preparing yourself to expect the unexpected and you won't ever feel alone. It's all sometimes confusing, but try to remember that there's a lot you can do to manage your experience, but nothing that works for everyone 100%

Hope to see you around often! Oh, to answer your question...symptoms don't normally last forever, but some women have them longer than others! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am

Jenny
I've begun noticing some PMS-like symptoms getting a bit worse..like when I was young and on the wrong birth control pill. Sometime the weepy phase is worse, actually this is pretty ok right now tho. Sometimes the pissed off waiting to happen is worse, then I ground myself and stay away from human consumption in all forms (at least at this phase in life I can tell and avoid it). My mom had a hyst after I was born and claimed to never have PMS/Peri/Meno symptoms....when she said this all four of us kids guardedly looked at one another and basically psychically said "oh yeah? Bet us!" LOL. Selective memory I guess or just couldn't see the trees for the forest. I think as human beings (yep even men) we're cyclic creatures with ebbs and flows (no pun intended) and phases. Hang in there and check out the rest of the site, good info and friends!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby ckvk45 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi Jenny ,
I like you have a hard time noticing when i cycle ..i also had a hyster kept one ovary , i am 45 ...I am for sure in Peri ...My tested hormone levels are all over the place ..I believe they have been ...My PMS type symptoms worsened prior to my hyster ...The past 3 years since ..they have gotten worse, more intense when i get them :roll:
One thing that has helped me a great deal , is journaling ...By trying HA lol to keep symptoms , mental and physical ( i have had most of the 35 at some time ) written down ..i can see some things ......i can sure see lows and highs, ask my doc to test me to be sure ...these wacky levels change so much at this time ..
i normally only get my estradiol checked ..FSH seems to be unreliable at this time for me ...
On the bright side ...Some day it will end and lessen ..or if we are lucky be gone LOL
This site has many wonderful posts on everything about all of it ..The ladies here are fantastic , and have helped me a great deal !
Hugs, V
ckvk45
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause