Suddenly Told I am Post Menopausal...Feel In Shock....

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Suddenly Told I am Post Menopausal...Feel In Shock....

Postby GreenEyez » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:15 am

Hi to everyone,
I am new here and I did not know where to really post this because I seem to fit into every category on this forum. I turned 49 last December and have felt unwell since 1999-2000, and I put it all down to stress. I now I have poured over this forum, and can see I was in peri 7-8 years ago......

Late last year I sincerely believed I was suffering some type of anxiety disorder that had been present for about 5 years, so I went to my Doctor who ran a series of test, blood...thyroid...and he added hormonal. I thought nothing of the results and he just told me my anxiety was not true anxiety and it was physically caused and not mentally, and to go home and rest; he did tell my hubby to take care of me and that I was at a fragile time. I still didn't get it......and yes...I was always waking up wet and sweaty, but mainly just before my period, and when it wasn't then, I thought I had something wrong with me.

Well, I missed 3 periods now, and have had tests done by a Doctor other than my regular Doc, as regular one is on holidays. The results came back and he said I am now post menopausal. Just like that. I went and had these tests because I am roasting in hades at the moment, and sobbing and laughing like I have Bipolar......I mean...I can laugh and sob at the same time..and this has gone on for about 6 months on and off.

I feel like me not realizing I was coming to this time has really affected me emotionally. I didn't expect my periods to just stop. I didn't expect to suddenly be told it is all over..to be told "you are now post menopausal"..and I am crying and writing this feeling like someone stole something from me too fast......and thinking why didn't my Doctor tell me.....or was my ignorance a little bliss....perhaps it was when I read some of your posts. I have been there; and am now here....and feel worse.......the flashing.....the insomnia......grrrrrrrr

Insomnia is no longer just now and then....it is ALL the time.....and then when I am so tired I crash for up to 12 hours. I feel like I am a nice woman gone nasty at times, too. I cannot find me anymore..........like I vacated the building.....but I know I am still here beneath all these symptoms.

The brain fog is intense....and I am worried about where to start to try and help myself....but I am determined to do it......I will not let this get the better of me no matter how bad it all gets. But I am happy to have found this forum.....and perhaps not feel so alone.

Has anyone else just "stopped"???? Just been told they are "post menopausal"????? Is it normal to look in the mirror and be confused at not seeing an ancient lady and yet there is supposed to be one there??? I have always been sad and annoyed at Doctors telling me "you are too young for _______insert whatever because I carry my mothers genetics of aging well....but NOW I want to look my age......why? Because when this time I asked for hormone tests, this new Doc looked puzzled and then checked my DOB.....I snapped at him......grrrrrr "yes, I AM old enough". . I am clearly all over the place...can you tell????? :(

I DO have my sense of humor still......and I will not let that go. At the same time, my humor often hides a lot of pain...and right now I am a very confused woman in a lot of physical and emotional pain.....and I simply need some advice....or something.....I don't know what.....

There is one symptom missing....I am not "dry" vaginally.....a little less than before, but is that supposed to be all dry....or is every woman different.....?

So many questions.......I know....I am so sorry......but I hope I can contribute to a lot who are just starting this journey.....
Hugs to all women going through the hormone ride.
~Anya
GreenEyez
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:56 am

Welcome Anya

I've never understood why Dr.'s (some of them at least) just won't get it that peri and meno aren't always the same for every woman and yes even younger women "are old enough!" I feel for you that you weren't told earlier in that you could have been doing research, found us, gotten used to the idea. Yes, you can just have your periods stop, I believe the wonderful developer of this site, Dee, had just that happen. It'll be official after 1 yr. sans period. And yes, the symptoms can be of varying degrees even with the same person. Sometimes dry other times not....sometimes b---y other times not. Do you have a Dr. that you can trust to talk to you? If not it's time to shop around for one (if you can), Check out the rest of this site as we have alot of wisdome here and great friendships. If you have specific questions the search mode at the top can help narrow posts down, you'll be surprised at the people in this boat! But never hesitate to start a thread or answer a question as your post may just be the answer that someone else needs to see. In the mean time be gentle with yourself, you might want to share this site with DH AND you might want to share it with your Dr. everyone can use some education about this issue.
Hope to "see" you around!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:44 pm

Welcome, welcome, Anya (love your name!)....Pam has pretty much answered your questions, so I'll just add that each of us has a different experience when this all happens, but somehow it brings us together when we hear of other women having the confusion, the feelings of doom or just the unfairness of it all. As you've read on here, we're all different ages and at different stages, but we're all in the same boat! :)

I love it that you still have your sense of humor (and you're an excellent writer too!!). The humor is the ONLY thing that got me this far and it's such a blessing to be able to share it with so many other women. I haven't had anyone tell me (in over 10 years)...."hey stop making me laugh...it's making my menopause worse!" :)

I hope you'll become a regular around here and that you feel a little calmer and well-loved! I'm so glad you found us!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby cin-d-rella » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 am

Hi Everyone,
I wasn't sure where to put this so I hope here is o.k. I was just reading up on nutrition and menopause and I found this. I have probably read it before, but well you know....'The Goldfish Syndrome': (swim once around the bowl and everything seems brand new again) !!!

"Research suggests that a diet rich in plant estrogens such as flax can help minimize perimenopausal and menopausal discomforts."

If one was to eat oatbran with some ground flaxseed on top every morning it would be v.g. for heart health and might help other ailments as well. (Tonight menopause, despite how natural a process it is, is an ailment to me !!!) Nighty night all..........Cin-d-rella. (P.S. Who is "Erti"...rather disgusting posts....a hacker maybe ??)
cin-d-rella
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 am

Cin-d-rella

'Goldfish syndrom????' heck that's me with my very short peri memory!!! LOL!!! couldn't find my car keys the other morning!! Of course DH found them and another round of "this perimeno thing can be fun!!" LOL He's got to sleep sometime!!! heh heh he!! LOL

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby GreenEyez » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am now realizing it "can" happen the way it did with me, and although it is not the most common way; it is a way....so I don't feel as alone. :wink:

Finally I did get to see m regular doctor, and he was so well informed, and not like some of those that seem to know not a thing about Peri. I did not want HRT at this time in any for, and he is very supportive of my decision there, but at the same time, he asked me to please not be a martyr to myself....and he said this twice. He is also supportive if I wish Bioidentical hormones as well. :P

The one this we did discuss at his initiation was the fact that the vaginal dryness is not as yet present, and he said that if I take care of it now, it will not ever be a huge problem later on. So....I took the cream with the mildest estrogen in it....forget what type now..but the one that does not enter the blood stream much at all...and he said to use that 3 times a week exterally as well...massaged well. :oops:

He did say that with my FSH level at 77, progesterone high, and estrogen so low, that he sincerely believes this is the end for me....BUT...did say it "might" do a sudden turn around, but finds this highly doubtful.

Poor man said he felt guilty that this had happened while he was away......and although I missed him when I took the crash to 0 estrogen, I certainly know it wasn't his fault....lol

I am also on calcium tablets and some magnesium, but the rest of my blood work was excellent, as was BP, etc.

I see to be coming to some form of acceptance with this....and my DH is wonderfully supportive in all of this......and he's reading a lot.

I am trying to grant myself some time to really rest and slow down a little, but still will not let myself sit and rott in a pool of self pity......I started forcing myself to go out and take walks, go shopping, and also relaxing activities.....despite what I felt about the idea....and now I have done that, it feels like my anxiety level is dropping slowly.......yes, it still scares me sometimes, this utter anxiety that comes from nowhere....but as I treated my so-called anxiety disorder before this was clearly Peri, I am treating Peri with the same methods...deep breathing, meditation...and a spray bottle full of freezing water......uuuuuugghhhhhhh...I hate the flashes..... :evil: ....but they don't frighten me as much anymore.

Minnie and Pam, thank you for such a warm welcome. I am sorry my reply is late in coming, but as I said in my initial post.....I saw a Doc other than my own, and when the blood results came in, mine were initially confused with someone elses...and I was almost diagnosed with another disorder...and that was frightening....it took until yesterday for me to find out the truth....it was two long weeks for me...so....thank you both for the warm welcome.....

Oh, and yes, humor will always be a part of me Minnie, even if it is the part that now and then inhabits my body space and is not so nice.......uhhhhh...I have discovered a "new ME".....and hubby affectionately calls it Lucifer.....and hubby treats it with tenderness and it calms the inner beast...... :roll:

Thank you both for the supoort, and yes, I will be around for some time yet.... :wink:

Hugs,
Anya
GreenEyez
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:25 pm

Anya
I'm soooo gald that you've got a supportive DH AND Dr. Also glad that you're being so proactvie about it and keeping your sense of humor. I've often said that even with all the things we as women have to go thru I wouldn't change it.... I think that the wisdom and nuturing and creativity we have are the trade offs.... I hate the easy tears but love the big heart......I hate alot of the challenges but love the creative ways I've had to create to maneuver around these difficulties. I'm just glad to be a woman even if I have these things to go thru (now don't expect the same answer during a grouchy time.....)but then that's part of being female too...knowing when to hold 'em or fold 'em

Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby lynnd » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:51 pm

Anya,
You wrote almopst everything I have been feeling lately. I am 45, but recently took an estrogen dive, and was just not mentally prepared. Thanks for sharing your story!
lynnd

Postby charyl » Wed May 30, 2007 6:04 am

Hi everyone!

Glad to find this site. I am 44 yrs old and having the night sweats/hot flashes.....mood swings...breakthru bleeding....

I remember my mom use to cry everyday when she was going thru this.

My boyfriend just moved out. Maybe because I'm such a *hothead* . har. :(

I've got to get ready for work. I'd like to write more when I actually have time to articulate real thoughts.

-Charyl
charyl

Postby colopam » Wed May 30, 2007 6:09 am

Welcome Charyl

This is a great place to find out "what's going on???" Post when you can...there's lots of great info and support. Hope to "see" you around soon..
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause