What exactly is a phantom period?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What exactly is a phantom period?

Postby mariaboek » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:57 am

My understanding is that this is more than just a "skipped period". This is when you get PMS'y, but no period. So, can this happen anytime. I have been feeling this way during mid cycle.
mariaboek
Warm Pauzer

Postby iluvtolaff » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:41 am

Yes, that sounds like a phantom period. You get all the symptoms of PMS but no bleeding. I've had it happen to me twice in the past 3 years. The cramping and irritability and anxiety/anger. Everything but the bleeding. It lasted about 3 days. Hope this helps. :wink:
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby aprilcline » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:08 am

I just had a "phantom" period.... all talk no action. All the symptoms were exactly as they normally are starting with irritability, anxiety, headache, bloating, even some form of cramping, night sweats, anger...usually when I get to anger the flow starts but not this time. Instead - nothing happened. I waited a week to write this - just to make sure but nothing has happened and all the symptoms are slowly going away or are completely gone now. I had this happen once before in 2006 I think. Weird, yet progress! :D
aprilcline
Hot Pauzer

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:40 pm

I never knew they had a name!

I've had plenty of those.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby aprilcline » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Tuesday I posted that I just had a phantom period... well it has now become the phantom MENACE because it's baaaccck!!! Completely unexpected, no pain, no warning - just whoops! Good thing I work from home. :roll: Such a joy being a woman!
aprilcline
Hot Pauzer

Re: What exactly is a phantom period?

Postby moodswinger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 pm

I think I am having one of those ???

All signs of a due period but no bleed...... just a continuation of PMS that is getting worse by the day..... sore boobs.... funny cramp pains but not like normal period pains.... I know people talk about your periods becoming irregular but when it happens its nothing like I expected...feels almost like the first signs of pregnancy because you get similar symptoms but no period......
moodswinger

Postby gracious granny » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Yeah I had quite a few of those too, but sometimes my PMS would last 2 weeks >EEK<.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:53 pm

That must be what I'm going through now. My period was due the 1st of March. Well here it is the 11th and nothing. But yet my breasts are sore, I've had slight period like cramping the entire time but no bleeding. I figure it will show up sometime maybe!!! But I'm used to my breasts getting sore well in advance of my period. I will have several in a row right on time and then I get this weird stuff like I have now. If they are going to stop I wish they would.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby KCee63 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Well I see it's not just me, or that I'm not losing it. I was wondering what a phantom period was and see that I am going through one. I haven't had a period in almost a year. Wondering if I had to go check myself in the restroom at work, you know, eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!! Do I need something from the machine in the wall or what? I have enjoyed not buying those, you know. Have a stash at home that I will probably never use. LOL

At least I don't have the sore boobs - I hated that PMS symptom!!!!!!!
So many books, so little time.
KCee63

Postby GreenEyez » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:39 pm

I may be having this, and I am 6 months without a period, but sore boobs on and off, and not cramps, but a tiny tingling uterine pain, and that's the only way I can describe this strange sensation......this is going on for almost a month on and off, and yet NO period. Does anyone relate to this as phantoms? If so, they are strange. :banghead: .....what fun being a woman. :P
GreenEyez
Warm Pauzer

Postby Kathie in FL » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:52 pm

GreenEyez wrote:I may be having this, and I am 6 months without a period, but sore boobs on and off, and not cramps, but a tiny tingling uterine pain, and that's the only way I can describe this strange sensation......this is going on for almost a month on and off, and yet NO period. Does anyone relate to this as phantoms? If so, they are strange. :banghead: .....what fun being a woman. :P

I thought it was just another symptom of perimenopause! PMS all the time, you feel like your period will start any day but no. Least that is what I had for the past 11 months!
Kathie in FL

Postby KCee63 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Well, today I went to the bathroom and thank the Lord above that I used a panty liner because I had SPOTTING!!!!! What the heck???? It's been months since a period and BOOM! Ugh... I don't have cramps, really, just barely. No other symptoms.
So many books, so little time.
KCee63

Postby snoopy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:54 pm

I too have had those off and on for 8 months!! Currently my boobs are KILLING me!!! :x
I want to weigh what I used to weigh back when I thought I WAS FAT!
snoopy
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:43 pm

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Chanterelle » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:46 pm

I've been having those monthly for two years! Didn't know they had a name! I was afraid I had a blockage somewhere!
Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Chanterelle

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause