How my birthday REALLY went

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

How my birthday REALLY went

Postby aprilcline » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Another birthday....ahhhh. I've told everyone that I had a lovely birthday but here is what really happened.

I awoke to the sensation of something dripping onto my heaving bosom...the drip drip drip of night sweat from my cleavage into my sleep bra. Realizing I was also on fire :oops: I sat up and started stuffing kleenex into my cleavage to sop up the sweat. Yuck. However, it reminded me of when I was in 7th grade and wanted to look like the bustier 9th graders...

I roll out of bed and go into the bathroom where I discover that my period has just begun. Dang. Another month with a period; instead of skipping I'm regular as rain. :(

I wipe a vitamin E stick under my eyes and remove the smeared mascara and assess the damage of getting another year older while going through perimenopause. My hair is thinning, my middle is expanding and my boobs aren't as perky as they used to be.

After a shower with "body firming" shower gel and firming emulsion body lotion (it didn't firm that much - I'm still not a size 4!) I chose a perky pink top and jeans to wear for the day and placed some really cool pink jade earrings on my ears. My wedding ring is tight and my hands are puffy. An indication I'm retaining about 60 pounds of fluid. :wink:

Downing a peanut butter bagle and orange juice, I fought the temptation to have a big bowl of Lucky Charms (they're magically delicious!) like I would've if I was ten yrs old instead of 51. :roll:

Down to my office to work and make fragrance while empowering women with my self esteem e courses and e books, I begin to feel like a fraud. Could I truly tell other women how to feel better about themselves when I'm struggling so much? Yup. Know why? Cuz I'm one of them and that's why they love me. :D My positive affirmations and motivational messages are NOT meant just for my customers....they're mostly meant for ME. I'm the one who needs to be reminded to Love Yourself, Trust Yourself and Believe in Yourself. I am like all of us - just struggling along as best I can, too.

Flowers were delivered, dinner out was cancelled and my mother and I had an argument. I can't have any birthday cake b/c my doctors said I'm becoming diabetic and wants me to seriously get some weight off once and for all. So I skip the cake but have a teensy weensy amount of ice cream late at night ALONE while my husband slept and my kids are away at college.

Most people didn't remember my birthday. Only one card came in the mail and a few in email. Turning 51 isn't life changing to me either, so I completely understand the apathy from my friends and family. The best part was talking to my son on the phone for 45 long luxurious minutes without him once saying "gee I gotta run". That was nice.

So, even tho my birthday wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination - it was nice and tonight I'm going to dinner with my husband to make up for the cancelled dinner last night. I just hope the freezing cold weather continues so I don't have any hot flashes in the restaurant and have to expose my chubby arms! Now that would be a tragedy!!

From the Birthday Girl :lol:
aprilcline
Hot Pauzer

Postby Nsane » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Happy Birthday from one newbie to another! :party:
Nsane

Postby colopam » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:02 am

Hey Birthday Girl!! I've decided that the one day stuff is always a let down (and the only people that remember mine are my DH, DMIL and an aunt and uncle) so I do things for myself for a month!! and DH wholeheartedly supports it! I say go get yourself a nice manicure/pedicure, or a massage or new highlights. No it's not life changing but you do matter and DO make a difference in peoples lives and you SHOULD be celebrated!!! SO THERE!! Anyway big ol birthday hig to YOU!!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:50 pm

Hey, your name is April and you were born in April??? That's pretty special, if you ask me!! :) Well, I'm an April baby too and I did a post on my blog the other day because I was thinking about these birthdays....since you brought it up, I'll share it with you all: http://minniepauzblog.blogspot.com/

Everything has been a major chore today so I'm not in a very good mood. Hope you all are having a much better day! :)

April...you need to put a signature in your profile so we can visit your website. :) http://www.scentsofyourself.com I don't mind when someone promotes their website as long as they are also contributing to our conversations here and providing support to others.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby momofseven » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Dear April/Birthday girl :bd: ,

Happy belated birthday! I don't know if you meant all that to be funny, but I found it hilarious. Just getting into that "keep laughing" Minnie Pauz mentality, LOL. :lol: I can so relate to the fountain springing forth from betwixt my bosoms in the night hours, ROFL, and the little trickle waking me up! I didn't know women *sweat* from that part of their body!

I am only 46....how many years of this must I endure? I can totally relate to the old woman in the mirror, too. In my brain, I am still in marching band, riding my bike all over the countryside, long flowing hair down to my rear (not gray, mind you). **sigh** Those were the days....

But then again, as I have snuggled with my 5 year old (youngest), breathing in his sweetness, and realized how *blessed* I am to be a mother, to watch my olders turn into wonderful, loving adults, and to still have little ones to hug....I wouldn't trade my life right now for *anything*! :bighug:
Mom of Seven
momofseven
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am

very, very sweet post, momofseven....you're kids have a great mom!! and I love this description "Just getting into that "keep laughing" Minnie Pauz mentality, LOL." That's what I'm shooting for x 50 million women!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby momofseven » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am

We can laugh or we can be so bummed out we don't want to crawl out of bed. Been there. :cry: Laughing sure makes it more enjoyable for my family. Though my 15yo thinks I am just "so immature" the way I laugh with other women. She'll get it someday. :wink:
Mom of Seven
momofseven
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:40 am

Momofseven

Yeah, it's amusing to see how "grown up" the teens are sometimes and it's amusing to see how easily we can embarrass them!! (LOL) When my stepdaughter took to being late or skipping her first class my DH asked the principal if he could come to her first class with her...in his robe and unshaven of course, (he didn't have to some thru on this one) she was duly mortified and started to get her act together!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause