My Brain is Gone! Seriously.

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

My Brain is Gone! Seriously.

Postby Zetti » Sun May 06, 2007 10:58 pm

How do we differentiate peri from Alzheimer's or total insanity??? My brain is gone, really I mean that.

Short term memory? Hah! That was history since . . . well I can't remember when.

Now my sense of direction which was never anything to boast about, let's just say I am not the person you want to be lost in the woods with . . . well it's really gone now. Thank goodness for GPS or I'd never get home at nite.

I mean, wtf?

I have to buy a house w/less rooms so I can remember why I went into one room over another.

Do I need a court appointed guardian or what?

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Re: My Brain is Gone! Seriously.

Postby hotpatootie » Mon May 07, 2007 7:28 am

Zetti wrote:How do we differentiate peri from Alzheimer's or total insanity??? My brain is gone, really I mean that.

Short term memory? Hah! That was history since . . . well I can't remember when.

Now my sense of direction which was never anything to boast about, let's just say I am not the person you want to be lost in the woods with . . . well it's really gone now. Thank goodness for GPS or I'd never get home at nite.

I mean, wtf?

I have to buy a house w/less rooms so I can remember why I went into one room over another.

Do I need a court appointed guardian or what?

Zetti
Hey seriously when I first started peri about 6 years ago, I thought I was in the early stages of Alzheimers too, and it turned out my thyroid gland had quit working, adding to my problems. I was severly hypothyroid.

It is a good idea for all woman in their late 40's to get their thyroid checked right along with everything else.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby mgr » Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 am

I know where you're coming from. In 2004 I couldn't find my way to my best friends house or when I left for work in the mornings I honestly didn't know if I was going to work or dropping my son off to school. Terrible feeling. After a lengthly process, I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and it wasn't until a year after that I was told I was Peri. Both peri & hypo have allot of the same symptoms. My memory did come back (somwhat, ah) after I was treated. You should get your thyroid tested.

Good Luck

MGR
mgr
Hot Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Mon May 07, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Zetti,

Memory, particularly verbal memory (finding the right word and using it appropriately) and executive memory (completing a multi-step task) is very much influenced by estrogen. Some women more than others suffer from the hormone's absence or fluctuating levels with profound changes in memory functions.

While menopause moments can be hilarious, and just try to find one woman our age who can't tell you about several such lapses!, actual memory loss is frightening and should be discussed with your doctor. I was in the process of investigating one 50-something lady for possible early Alzheimer's for serious troubles (she was a spokeswoman for a large corporation in Denver and unable to assemble a coherent sentence) when we put her on estrogen therapy, 'just to see.' Her sharp ability to deal with the media returned promptly.

Best,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Fri May 11, 2007 9:27 pm

And this would be why I can't remember my phone number today, tahnk God for check books!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat May 12, 2007 8:06 am

I know there's some memory loss as we go through all this, but I don't think it has to be causing these panic attacks. :) For one thing, I remember ALWAYS having to stop and think about my phone number, even when I was in my 30's...you know why? Because I didn't call myself very often!! :) Remember saying that? So I think it's pretty normal to not remember it.

The other thing is....we ARE what we think we are. We need to think more positive thoughts and we'll have more positive lives. I know it sounds like mumbo jumbo to some, but at this point in our lives, it's worth a try, don't you think?

Instead of repeating, "I've lost my mind (or memory)", try repeating "my memory is improving every day". Instead of thinking "I'm feeling so old (fill in the _______)", try thinking, "I'm feeling wise and loving." Or something of your choice. What happens is you block out the negative thoughts, feel better because of the positive words and the world around you reacts to the positive and brings what you're thinking into your life.

Give it a try...you might be surprised. :)

Here's Dr. Andrew Weil's take on the topic:
"Actually, the complaints about failing memory so many women voice may be more illusion than reality. Results of a recently completed study showed that menopausal women demonstrated no signs of mental decline and that their scores on memory tests improved over the time they participated in the study. The results were published in the September 23, 2003, issue of the medical journal Neurology."
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA312536
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sat May 12, 2007 11:55 am

I've found that, in the last year, my brain has got very foggy particularly with regard to my sense of direction. In fact, on the way to the supermarket I can be stopped at a junction and suddenly think "where am I, which direction do I go" and for a few moments I really don't know my way! Some of the wiring in my brain has definitely got screwed up and some previously familiar journeys have got 'holes' in them where I can't remember where to go.

Mr. GorgeousFluffpot and I are off touring around Europe next week and taking in parts of France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. He's driving and yours-truly is navigating. As I'm currently having difficulty working out the route to the end of my drive then this vacation may be quite interesting, particularly as Mr. GF refuses to get GPS navigation. So, ladies, if I haven't checked in to MinniePauz by the end of June please send out a search party as I've probably taken a wrong turn in Italy and we're lost somewhere in the Ural Mountains!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat May 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Have a WONDERFUL time and what the hell....go ahead and get lost a couple of times, it will do you good! :) :high5:

"See" you when you return!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby minniepauz » Sat May 12, 2007 1:02 pm

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Sat May 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Made me dizzy hehehe
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sun May 13, 2007 7:42 am

Gorgeous!
Just tell Mr. GPF that "we're not lost, we're exploring" and you might get "lucky" in that many rental cars automatically have GPS even w/o asking! Have a WONDERFUL time!

HUgs Pam :bouncy:
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun May 13, 2007 10:25 am

great advice, if he complains about where we are then I shall just say that "we're taking the scenic route" and hope that I can find my way back to civilisation!!

I LOVE these discussion threads where we can laugh about it all. Sometimes, when my brain is particularly woolly, I wonder if I've heading for early senility then I read all your lovely funny comments and realise that, if I were, then I'm in excellent company!!!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby hotpatootie » Sun May 13, 2007 10:48 am

gorgeousfluffpot wrote:great advice, if he complains about where we are then I shall just say that "we're taking the scenic route" and hope that I can find my way back to civilisation!!

I LOVE these discussion threads where we can laugh about it all. Sometimes, when my brain is particularly woolly, I wonder if I've heading for early senility then I read all your lovely funny comments and realise that, if I were, then I'm in excellent company!!!
Yeah don't worry about it GFP, I couldn't function without post-it notes at work. We all call it CRS {can't remember sh!t}.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sun May 13, 2007 6:49 pm

My best friend and I call it sometimers...sometimes I remembers and sometimes I forgets!!! (boy I miss her..she's in CO)
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause