Heavy heavy bleeding - anyone taken Norethisterone?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Heavy heavy bleeding - anyone taken Norethisterone?

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I've had a really heavy blood loss for three days now and yesterday passed some enormous clots of blood, soaking my sanitary towel several times in succession. Well today I went to my surgery and saw my doctor who is taking a blood test tomorrow and sending me for a vaginal ultrasound on Monday to check for possible polyps and other causes of this. In the meantime she has prescribed NORETHISTERONE in the short term, explaining this will stop the bleeding until the cause is known or at least polyps and fibroids are discounted.
Well I'm pleased to be getting some relief, having had an almost daily spotting for the last year, but this recent heavy period was just non-stop flooding and I've never had it this heavy before.
My doctor is suggesting HRT if this continues but I'd still like to try and get through peri-menopause without too many chemicals, but a short course of this stuff will hopefully give me some relief from the bleeding.
Has anyone taken this Norethisterone and, if so, what are their experiences on it? Any comments, advice, experience most welcome. Thank you ladies.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Fri May 11, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello, yes I have taken and do take it. I have been on this for let me see, over 6 years now, three 5mg a day and it's great, no periods forever, however, doesn't stop the menopause symptoms although it does alleviate some of the symptoms. Well just hot flashes I rarely get those, everything else I get in varying degrees of aaaaaah to screaming aaaaaaah!!! I was originally given it because my periods were just miserable, so heavy, so nasty, and so long my doctor said the wonderful words oh well you're drying up now anyway so take it all the time!!. Lovely.......I have tried not taking it, just to see how the menopause was going along, and it was disasterous, symptoms were so strong it was horrible, so back on it for another year and perhaps we'll give it a try again. Right now I just like not having the period problems along with all the other stresses of peri. And today insult of all insults I could not remember my own phone number, how dumb is that!!! The memory loss is pretty bad lately, I had to look on my checkbook to see what my number was. Hey ho, anyway good luck with the norethisterone, it works for me!!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Fri May 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Just realized I dont take 3 a day anymore it's down to 2, weaning off gradually..........:)
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sat May 12, 2007 11:45 am

many thanks for that and it's really encouraging, although a little worrying that the symptoms return with a vengeance when you come off of it. My doctor recommended three a day but I have only taken two ... yes, self-medication is always wrong but I made the mistake of reading the fact-sheet that was enclosed with the tablets and it made terrifying reading. So I thought, well take two-thirds of the dose then there's only two-thirds of the risk, and see how we get on and hopefully when I stop this then the changeover won't be so bad.

Have taken it for two days and, bingo, period has stopped. I'm feeling better already.

Just a thought, at some point you will probably have to come off of the tablets. How are you going to manage with the return of the symptoms ... I see you're delaying it for another year but I guess it's inevitable that you will have to stop the Norethisterone at some point. Have you been given any advice on how to manage this?
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Sat May 12, 2007 11:52 am

You know it's weird, because I was originally prescribed it in England where I come from. When I moved here to the States 8 years ago the doctors here had no idea what it was for and why I was taking it. So they pretty much stuck with my initial prescription. Apparently it doesnt do any harm, and weaning off is the way to go, right now down to two instead of three next year maybe down to one, and the year after none, I think that should work fine. I just stopped them the last time and that does not work, which of course you should never do with any drug you have been taking for years. But I needed a clear reading for menopause and you can't do that whilst taking any hormone. So got my reading and went straight back on it and felt better. When I first started taking it, it was for 21 days and then stop for a period but that didn't work too well for me, my periods just went back to being horrific again. So back to taking it everyday and that's how it's been for all this time. No side effects that I know of, and it does keep away hot flashes a lot more and depression, although it doesnt stop the irrational weeping sessions or the night sweats and various other annoyng symptoms. Just makes them a bit easier I think. Glad you are feeling better, I would recommend this to any woman who doesnt want children and definitely doesnt want periods anymore!!!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun May 13, 2007 4:15 am

Danmia, many thanks. What you wrote is exactly what I wanted to know - real experience of taking this stuff. I've been (perhaps naively) thinking that I could get through all this peri-menopausal disruption with just herbal remedies, good friends and a cheerful attitude but the terribly heavy bleeding that I experienced recently just defeated me and has let me feeling so weary and utterly washed-out. Tail between my legs I went to the doctor and have to admit that this Norethisterone has worked, but I draw the line (at the moment at least) at going on a full HRT programme that was recommended. Interestingly you must not take this hormone with St. John's Wort - which I had previously been taking to alleviate some symptoms.
I enjoyed reading your post which is really informative. Many thanks for replying to me and giving me some comfort.
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Sun May 13, 2007 11:04 am

Glad to help a fellow Londoner :) I have never been a fan of HRT although I guess taking this is kind of that, but no estrogen is involved and that makes me feel better. Like I said I still get all the peri symptoms just not as bad as it could be although my husband might disagree hehehe. If you need to talk about anything else just holla I'm here all day everyday working on the computer.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 am

many thanks for your excellent advice and support. Actually this stuff must be working because I have dried up completely, no blood, no discharge, nowt happening 'down below'. Coincidentally today I had a vaginal ultrasound, prescribed by my doctor to check there weren't any nasties or fibroids going on. Seems that all is well and there's nothing that could be causing such heavy bleeding, so I am much relieved since peri-menopausal anxiety had me sweating that it was something bad!!
So, it is just my ******* hormones being particularly badly behaved. I'm off on holiday today but don't trust all this not to kick off again ... hence my case is packed with a large selection of sanitary products for the light/medium/aaaaargh-why-is-this-happening-to-me? days.
Still not sure if I can trust my body to let me go swimming though, might give this a miss.
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Mon May 14, 2007 11:50 am

Ah the joys of menopause, the heavy bleeding the aches and pains the dizzy head, the itching, can't sleep, can't remember anything, stomach problems, night sweats, hot flashes, headaches, the mood swings, crying at the drop of a hat, and so on and so on, not to mention if you do happen to snap at someone if they know you, they immediately laugh and say hormones, now that really pisses me off. Before everything was blamed on pms now it's menopause, you know sometimes things just piss me off, nothing to do with hormones!!!!

Take care now, where in London do you live, I am from Barnet Herts.
:)
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon May 14, 2007 1:57 pm

well I'm in south London, originally Wimbledon .... you know us southerners who never go across the river and venture 'ooop north', but I see you're now based in the States. How did that happen? New life and all that, or working?

I've definitely run the full peri-menopausal symptom list in the last year and am rather ashamed of myself. Had a zillion years of painless, trouble-free periods, no PMT, no problems .... menstruation was such a breeze and, I confess, I was not very sympathetic to co-workers who complained about their 'monthlies' and had to take time off or constantly blamed errors on their hormones. Because it was no problem for me, I really thought other women were trying it on ... terrible, eh?
But now I understand!!! My memory has gone way out of the window in the last year and I have to write lists for everything and I'm fairly pathetic at learning new stuff. My eyeballs explode with the weepies every so often and I blub away for no reason at all. Bits of me itch, other bits ache and my scalp tingles. I wake up in the night, full of fear and cannot sleep then, the next day, am like the walking dead for lack of zzzzzzz's.
If this is what my co-workers were suffering, then I am cutting myself a big slice of humble pie and grovelling an apology for being such an utter umsympathetic cow.
Maybe this is karma, huh? Coming back to haunt me? What do you think?
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm

I moved to the States 8 years ago because I married an American :) we met online 10 years ago now and he came to England for 2 years then we got married and moved here. Much better quality of life that's for sure. I don't miss England at all and know that I could never afford to live in London ever again!!!!! Plus I live in the woods here, quite a contrast to the concrete jungle of London.
No it's not karma coming back at you, I have always had horrible periods and terrible depression along with it, all due to hormone changes every time I had a child (6) (4 live 2 lost) so I knew menopause would not be fun for me. Don't feel bad about thinking women were just complaining for complaints sake, that's just another thing to feel depressed about or guilty about and you don't need that at this point in life. I know they say menopause is a new start to life etc. but right now it feels like I'm at least 80 years old and pensioners in homes have more energy than I do. I am awake for three hours in the morning and then I start to feel so sleepy it sucks, I have a very pressurized job and deadlines are imperitive so feeling sleepy all day really sucks!!!!
Anyway speaking of deadlines, back to it for me. :)
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon May 14, 2007 3:14 pm

So interesting to hear about your lives ladies....and so much in common (especially the need for a nap in the morning!).

What kind of work do you do, Danmia? It's also encouraging to meet someone who found their husband online. :) Every time I get even close to writing to someone, I back off. I think I've been single too long (since '81)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Mon May 14, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm a market research transcriptionist, which basically means I listen to hundreds of tapes or audio files and type out everything said in focus groups and interviews, reports stuff like that it's really interesting work but oh the deadlines suck. I usually work 12 to 14 hour days at it, but it is nice to work from home.
Well we met online and it was quite a romantic thing, he was 19 and I was 44 hehehe but after six months he ran away from home literally in the middle of the night and flew to England. We were married six months later and moved to the States two years after that. Been married 10 years now, and it is the best thing I ever did. He is far more mature than my ex ever was and its great!!!!!!
I would definitely recommend it :) but now that it's such a popular thing I might be more wary there's a lot of weirdos out there.
well back to it for me :)
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon May 14, 2007 5:23 pm

That's an AMAZING story!! It sounds like you knew what you were doing though! :) Congratulations and best wishes for another 50 years! :) :party:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Mon May 14, 2007 5:32 pm

:wink:
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause