Discharge after Period - for Ages - Is This Normal?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Discharge after Period - for Ages - Is This Normal?

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:50 am

I'm almost 48...think I've been in pre-menopause a few years.
Have also been on synthetic thyroxine for 17 years...auto-immune Hashimoto's. (150mcg daily at present)

My period comes about every 21 days now, sometimes, maybe, between 17-21 days. (Used to be 28 day cycle after I had my 2 kids).
Lasts for about 7 days (used to last 4 or 5).
Quite heavy for the first 3 or 4 days. Feel totally wiped out.
Drained, literally, as it drains away from me.

Then after the period seems to slowly go a discharge comes for days after, for up to 2 weeks sometimes, on and off, and until that fully goes I have lower stomach pain and feel low in my mood.
It seems to go away and then came come back...and is very thick and viscous (is that the right word?) sometimes with clots in, or sometimes I imagine I see little eggs in it :(
and varies from light to dark brown...which I know could be old blood that didn't come away in the period...
but I just wonder if that is normal.

all in all I may get about 5 ok days a month, in which time I try to do the housework I ignore the rest of the time :shock: :? :( :D
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby aprilcline » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi - I have similar situation. After my period is done - about a week later I begin to "shed" more discharge. Lasts a day or 2 and then it's done. I'm 51 and this only started in the last year or so. Good luck!
aprilcline
Hot Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:52 pm

I've always seem to have had the "dregs" as I call it, sometimes a few days sometimes just a couple.

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby jeannie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:47 pm

This is happening to me, too. I'm 52 years old. My last period was 6 weeks late, lasted only 5 days (which is pretty abnormal for me) and was fairly light. 4 days after it ended I started this light bleeding which is between just a discharge and a normal light period. It seems to come and go. It might not happen for several hours then it will be there again. This has been going on now for about 3-4 days.
jeannie
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:49 pm

jeannie....if this is the first time you've had this irregularity with your period, then you have just identified when you started peri-menopause. :) Many of us didn't realize that's what all the "weird" stuff was about....especially me, who must have started it around 16 years ago, possibly even earlier since my period just stopped when I was 41. I just don't remember if things were messed up before that.

You've probably read enough posts by now to see that many women are having (or have had) the spotting, the discharge and even clotting. You may want to wait until your next expected period and see how that one goes, but it sounds like you're starting the process.

Welcome aboard!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:28 pm

Yup, me too. Been doing it for a couple years now. I didn't even notice it at first because it was so mild and I wear colored underwear. Slightly more noticable now.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:23 am

well I've written about this fairly often and seeked some reassurance that it was normal .... which clearly it is. I just find the whole thing so inconvenient, you never know quite where you are and what you can wear. The fashion here is for light coloured gipsy skirts and white leggings and the shops are full of them. "Go and buy one" suggests my husband. IS HE MAD??? I daren't wear light coloured stuff 'just in case' of sudden spotting or flooding. (Anyway, it's impossible to wear white trousers in London, sit down anywhere, and get up without a sooty or dirty mark on your botty?). So it's 'just in case' sanitary protection all the time for me but this part of peri- is such a drag!!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby jeannie » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:42 am

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and reassurance that all is normal and I don't have something horrible wrong with me. :P Today this has turned into a full blown period...or at least it appears to be...so I guess I'll just wait and see what happens next. Maybe this really is the beginning of the end!!! :lol:
jeannie
Warm Pauzer

Postby SLee » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:57 am

I told my husband yesterday that I was changing my name to "Our Lady of the Perpetually Weeping Womb". I, for one, have had it with the phantom periods. Had a normal cylce for the 1st time in a year, 4 weeks from the last, and one week later, I have it again, and it's been going on for 10 days...just a dribble...a slow leak...like I have a crack in my oil pan, and it's definitely old oil. I thought I was winning this battle with bio-identical supplements, so this is very depressing this time. I bought myself a new pair of summer jammies yesterday - lime green and orange striped capris. Hubby went to the football game last night and I colored my hair and soaked my feet and got myself all cleaned up......my new jammies are in the laundry room soaking in Shout. I just went and put my 'painting pants' on. That's how feminine I'm feeling today. Someone mentioned having a low mood while this is going on? I heard a comedian say once that he didn't trust anything that could bleed for seven days straight and not die - TRY 20!!!
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 pm

SLee wrote:I told my husband yesterday that I was changing my name to "Our Lady of the Perpetually Weeping Womb". I, for one, have had it with the phantom periods. Had a normal cylce for the 1st time in a year, 4 weeks from the last, and one week later, I have it again, and it's been going on for 10 days...just a dribble...a slow leak...like I have a crack in my oil pan, and it's definitely old oil.

Ha ha, that made me howl with laughter!!!! I tell my husband that I should be a footballer, since I could dribble for England!!! Yes, I have had the same slow weepy discharge which carries on for ages and makes you think that there's definitely something wrong with your fu-fu valve ... my husband says that this is the price we have to pay for the pleasure of being women!

Now excuse me while I go off and poke him with a sharp stick ..
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause