How much longer???????????

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

How much longer???????????

Postby fultime » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:05 pm

:cry:
Hi
I have been in the peri menopause for seven years now, I have gone through most of the 32 symptoms, I thought the worst was the terrible flooding I endured for three years with the iron injections in the backside, the feeling so ill etc, but the past two years I have had the most horrendous hot flushes and sweats, morning noon and night, I am also clammy most of the time, no sleep, feel very low, depressed, tearful, lost my confidence don't want to go out, loss of sex drive, weight gain etc. I have tried most of the herbal remedies, black cahosh, red clover etc etc I even have a magnet attached to my underwear at the moment (ladycare magnet) which I have had for over six weeks with no relief, which I think has made me more depressed as I was really hoping it would help.:( I have come to the point where I think I need to see my GP about HRT but I am so afraid of taking it as I read so many negatives about it and also the thought of going through all of this again when I come off it eventually feels me with dread. I keep on hoping that I will come to the end of this nightmare, I am 53 now but there is no sign of it ending. I still have periods about every 3/4 months now and no more flooding which is one thing to be happy about. I have just been reading about Arkopharma Phyto Soya, does anyone know if this is any good, does it really help or is it just another false trail for me. I feel like I am at the bottom of a deep dark pit that I can't every escape from. :cry:
fultime

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:49 pm

Poor girl...I wish I could find the "off" button for you...no, the PAUSE button!! Everyone is just so different that there's no set time limit for any of this. The best we can do is keep sharing information, trying new options (you know when the symptoms start changing you have to change your treatments) and keep supporting each other until we get through it.

The ones who haven't had it so bad really do try to cheer up the ones who are still suffering by letting them know there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

If I were you....seriously, I would talk to the doc about the smallest dose of hrt that I could get, just to see if it might take the edge off. It just might get you through until your body has adjusted to producing less estrogen. I'm saying this even after not taking anything for so long and after all the studies and reports in the past 5 years.....you really need some relief and hey, if the hrt doesn't help then you're not really that invested in it. You can stop taking it as quickly as you started.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Jeez you poor woman..Testify Sister.

Please know that it will end someday, hang on to that thought too.

I personally toughed it out out without anything. I was always quoting Lilly Tomlins joke about natural childbirth...Jeez I picked a time like this to give up drugs.

I went through periods of I guess it was depression, not sure, but I'd walk around like my best friend had just died or something. I couldn't crack a smile if my life depended on it. It got so bad some people were asking me if they had offended me or something, I had become so quiet and reserved.

I am also surprised I never told anybody at work to F-off, I was even getting so I couldn't stand my friends sometimes. It really was the pits. This along with sweating to death went on for about 6 years. This is the first summer since I was 49 that I have not been melting. I am 55 now.

So take heart deary it will pass.

But do speak to your Doc, I'm sure he/she can give you a low dose of HRT to see if it helps.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:17 am

Fultime

First of all big hugs to you!!!

On my last visit with my Dr. (secondary to a HUGE shift in hormones in one cycle) we discussed different strategies up to and including HRT. Our conclusion (she's my age and going thru the same stuff) is to not let life get soooo miserable (for me OR my DH) and that IF the time came that I couldn't (or didn't want to) go on with the frustration we'd try the minimal HRT for the minimal time (you wouldn't be stuck on it forever!). She had just come from a conference on depression and one of the biggest "revelations" was how estrogen is one of the greatest preventatives of depression. With all due respect to those that 1. didn't need any help and 2. toughed it out she stated "after all it's not like they're giving out medals", and even "natural" remedies are still chemicals and can have side effects too. After that last month (no haven't gone on any HRT as of yet and may never feel the need) but I have gone on a low dose of Lexapro for the grumpies/weepies/depression and general anxiety and life has been really good since I kind of do a check every day or so (I tried it a bit last year and didn't have as good results). She had me on a low dose BC for a little while (about 5 mo.s) and now my periods are alot smoother and not as heavy. My quality of life is so important (just found DH 6 yrs ago) that I want the best quality I can achieve. I encourage you to see your Dr., take the list (let the scheduling person knowthat you wish to have a discussion around peri/menopause to allow for time) and really evaluate...whatever you do WILL be right for YOU!! Please let us know how things go
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

when will it end part two

Postby karl4thewhites » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Hello again
Thanks so much for your kind messages. I decided to take the plunge today and saw my GP she said if she was suffering like I am she would take hrt. She has given me a prescription which I have not filled yet, it has no name but has conjugated oestrogens and medroxyprogesterone tablets 1.5mg daily. She said she does not think this will be a high enough dose but to give it a couple of weeks and then increase to two tabs a day if I am not feeling any better so I will see how it goes. Fingers and toes are crossed.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

XXXX
karl4thewhites
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause