Dreadful Night Sweats

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Dreadful Night Sweats

Postby Katty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:39 am

Hi all,

I live on the bottom of the world in a place called New Zealand and am new to this Board. I was wondering whether what I am experiencing sounds familiar to any lady here? I am 36 and for the past two years have been suffering from horrendous night sweats. These sweats are severe - everything is drenched, bedding, body, hair - the lot. I have been to a number of Doctors about this and have been checked for numerous illnesses associated with nightsweats with a chest scan, blood tests, etc all to no avail as to what is wrong. I was worried that perhaps I had Lymphoma but nothing in the bloods indicated this. Another Doctor said it was probably hormonal, but my blood tests did not indicate that I was menopausal. Now for my question - can someone be suffering perimenopausal symptoms and have a 'normal' hormonal blood test result? I went through puberty at an early age - 7! and am thinking perhaps I am going to go through menopause sooner rather than later as a result. Thank you for your time and help. :)
Katty

I also

Postby Katty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:53 am

forgot to mention (have just read some other threads, gee they are great) that I suffer from the dry vagina, which gets sore and itchy a week before my period, then when the period arrives everything is back to normal again. My facial hair is increasing, my Beautician reaps the benefits of this! And the other problem is that my sex drive has dropped. I mentioned all of this to be Gynecologist who told me that if I was menopausal my periods would have stopped. I seem to get a regular period one month, and then the next it will be like three weeks late. It all confuses me and the medical profession has not been a lot of help.
Katty

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:00 am

sounds to me like you're one of us now! This website is really the best place to check out everything that's going on with your body and your mind at the moment. Have a look at http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html and see how many you tick!
Everything you said in your email definitely rings a bell with me.
Facial hair, heck I'm turning into the Circus Bearded Lady!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Thank you

Postby Katty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:03 am

Gorgeousfluffpot - that is so reassuring to hear! I am so excited to have found this site - thanks Google!
Katty

Postby hotpatootie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:54 am

Katty:I mentioned all of this to be Gynecologist who told me that if I was menopausal my periods would have stopped.
Sheeesh sounds to me like your Gyno needs to do a bit of reading up on Menopause. :roll:

You sure as heck sound peri-meno to me, and due to the fact that you started having periods at such a young age, it is extremely possible you are starting peri. I had periods, like I am sure most all of us did, off and on for atleast 6 years while going through the change.

Hey no kidding fluffpot, E-gads the chin hairs. :shock: I've said the same thing if I just let them all go I could very easily join the circus next time it rolls through town.

Katty when I first started having hot flashes and extreme sweating I was sure I must have malaria or some other god awful disease.

I think being here on this forum will do you a world of good, and give you some much needed information.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Hi Hotpatootie

Postby Katty » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:26 am

thank you so much - this has been so comforting. I have been kind of hanging around for the last couple of years wondering if some other awful symptom is going to appear, thus end up going back to the Doctors, and have them say "Ohhhh, you have (whatever), the prognosis is not good, why didn't you come in sooner?". The night sweats have been interesting. I had them badly for many months, then last summer time they went away (oh the relief of having a blissful dry night) and then this winter they have come back with a vengeance. If a Doctor was to do a blood test during the peri-menopause stage would it show any hormonal abnormality or not? Mine apparently came back normal. Thanks in advance! :D
Katty

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:02 am

My blood tests were odd, too. Two years ago my doctor said I was definitely peri- and then, in the last few months (when I am in the throes of night sweats, irregular periods, mood swings, you name it ...) he told me that my blood test results were perfectly normal and showing no signs of hormonal upset!
Obviously it was clear to both of us that I'm on the perimenopausal rollercoaster, so we decided to ignore the results! He said there could even have been a mix-up at the hospital and it was possible I had someone else's results. I rather like to think that somewhere there's a hefty male macho bricklayer who's got my blood test results and been told that he's going through the menopause!
Re. facial hair, I spent half an hour this morning Immacing and plucking my face. To shave my legs only takes about ten minutes - it's a desperate thing when defoliating your face takes twenty minutes longer than your legs!
I guess the key to getting through all this is to laugh ... and thank god for MinniePauz which has kept me reasonably sane through most of this.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Re: Hi Hotpatootie

Postby hotpatootie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:03 am

Katty wrote:thank you so much - this has been so comforting. I have been kind of hanging around for the last couple of years wondering if some other awful symptom is going to appear, thus end up going back to the Doctors, and have them say "Ohhhh, you have (whatever), the prognosis is not good, why didn't you come in sooner?". The night sweats have been interesting. I had them badly for many months, then last summer time they went away (oh the relief of having a blissful dry night) and then this winter they have come back with a vengeance. If a Doctor was to do a blood test during the peri-menopause stage would it show any hormonal abnormality or not? Mine apparently came back normal. Thanks in advance! :D
I started to notice during "my ordeal", that whenever the hot flashes and sweating stopped or almost stopped, then I would have a period or periods again for a while, sometimes I would go 6 or 8 months without a period and figured I was out of the woods, not so, but now finally it has been 19 months without a period or anything even resembling a period and the hot flashes are almost completely gone.

But the first few years were the worst, atleast mentally, because I kept thinking I must have something horrible wrong with me. :roll: But perimenopause coupled with my hypothyroidism, which was screwing up my periods in the beginning as well, was only adding to my problems.

Hang in there Katty, it will only get worse, I mean better, :lol: with time.

Oh I have to go pluck my chin hairs now and get ready for work.
One good thing resulting from my thyroid condition, I have no hair on my legs, unfortunately my chin makes up for it.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Thanks Gorgeousfluffpot and Hotpatootie!

Postby Katty » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:28 am

This really has helped me so much. The information I have gained from this room also made me get my osteoporosis risk checked out today, something that a Doctor told me not to worry about until I was 50, despite my mother suffering from it severely (I am 36). I went and had a Bone Density test done today and hello, I have the start of Osteoporosis and have had it for about 6 years. I was told if I had left it until I was 50 it would of been too late, I would have had severe Osteoporosis. Something else to add into the blend of symptoms hey? I am highly disappointed with the Doctor concerned and am considering changing to a different practice altogether. On Tuesday I am going to the Family Planning clinic to talk to one of their Fertility experts about my peri-menopause. I have decided it is pointless going to see a GP about this subject. So thank you to everyone on this site, you have given me the inspiration to leave no stone unturned.
Katty

Postby colopam » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:09 am

Katty
I think we can all agree that there hasn't been enough research re: peri/meno. I think that by all of us becoming informed and informing that this will change. They've come up with answers for many other issues just by shedding light on them so here we are!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Re: Thanks Gorgeousfluffpot and Hotpatootie!

Postby hotpatootie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:48 am

Katty wrote:This really has helped me so much. The information I have gained from this room also made me get my osteoporosis risk checked out today, something that a Doctor told me not to worry about until I was 50, despite my mother suffering from it severely (I am 36). I went and had a Bone Density test done today and hello, I have the start of Osteoporosis and have had it for about 6 years. I was told if I had left it until I was 50 it would of been too late, I would have had severe Osteoporosis. Something else to add into the blend of symptoms hey? I am highly disappointed with the Doctor concerned and am considering changing to a different practice altogether. On Tuesday I am going to the Family Planning clinic to talk to one of their Fertility experts about my peri-menopause. I have decided it is pointless going to see a GP about this subject. So thank you to everyone on this site, you have given me the inspiration to leave no stone unturned.
I am so happy to hear you are getting pro-active about your health.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 am

The lessons we're learning about women's health include being able to tell the doctors when we need extra time or when we're needing certain kinds of tests (like the bone density) or when our family history sets us apart from the norm. I've never been more upset than when I hear a woman (even in her 40's) say her doctor told her she was "too young to be starting menopause". There ARE no standards when it comes to women's hormones and when they start changing! So just remember ladies, knowledge is power and we don't have to be intimidated by the doctors anymore....it's supposed to be a partnership and you have a right to be involved in your healthcare! :soap:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause