Newbie who wants to vent.....

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Newbie who wants to vent.....

Postby debz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:25 am

Hi, I'm new here and I just want to let it all out... I'm 46 and have been going thru peri-meno for over 2.1/2 years. I first noticed it when my moods started to get really dark and I was angry all the time, my period would disappear for a month and reappear, I was getting extremely painful ovulation to the point that it was agony to walk or sit. When my period made an appearance it would only be for 2 days, one of which would be 24hours of flooding. Then after a year it changed again and my anger moods got a bit better but then I started feeling depressed, my period would be 2 days of not much blood and I was ovulating twice a month! Now into my 3rd year of this my period has been coming every 3 weeks, ovulation seems to have stopped (?) and for some reason my last period is still going - over a week now. Why? I can't understand any of this. I was always regular - 28days without fail and I always knew when I was ovulating. I feel like I have permanent PMT. I have been to the doctor and he says "there will be lots of changes, etc...". No one understands. My friends think I am odd because they haven't started yet, my husband just ignores me when I try and tell him about it, my mother keeps telling me that I have to get used to it because "it will probably go on for 10 years like this". Ok for her, she had no symptoms; her period just stopped and that was it. As I sit here typing this I feel so low, I'm on the verge of tears all the time and I find it hard to go to work and be cheerful. I have two young daughters and I wasn't expecting to have started meno so early. I thought I'd be closer to 50. I'm sick of my period being so unpredictable, I'm tired of all the symptoms and not knowing what I will get every month. I know there are worse things that could happen in life but I find it so hard to feel happy about anything. It's not that I don't want to be happy but my body is making me feel this way! Thanks for listening - I'd like to say I feel better but I don't. Maybe I will tomorrow, if this effing period ever stops!
debz

Postby psexypsychic » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:14 am

Aww, vent all you want! That's what we're here for.

I felt better after finding this site because I realized I wasn't alone and (like your mum), my mother was telling me to get over it, this wasn't so hard on her and all that.

If it helps you any, I started having peri-meno symptoms when I was 34 and I was officially diagnosed at 36.

**hugs**

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby debz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:05 am

Thanks psexypsychic, after reading a lot of the entries on this forum I am realising that my symptoms/issues are very common and it's quite comforting. It wouldn't have been much fun for you to start so early - certainly even more difficult when you have a mother that isn't supportive! Thanks again - I'm feeling heaps better. :D
debz

Postby psexypsychic » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:44 am

I don't mind starting so young- I started getting my period when I was nine. And, I'm done having kids (got them out of the way when I was young and energetic!). I just want it to be over with- the period part especially.

Every time I go to the doctor, I ask for a hysterectomy. I'll say, "This is a teaching hospital... you guys need to learn... teach someone to give a hysterectomy!"

My last doctor (who just graduated) said, "I'm not a surgeon, if I do surgery, it is called "murder"...!" (I liked him, he was always such a smartass!).

My mom's menopause was surgically induced and other than the hot flashes, she never had too much else. What led to her hysterectomy was the continuous bleeding and several D & C procedures- so she wasn't completely symptom-less. She just doesn't see the bleeing problem as connected with peri or menopause in general. To her, those are two different problems, unrelated.

Of course, this is also a woman who tells me I should deal with my stress better, because my stress is causing me some health issues. That's all fine, except I dealt with my stress just dandy till the peri hormones started battling with my body.

But, that's a rant for another time. :D

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby hotpatootie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:24 am

Hi debz I am a dedz too!!!

Been there done that.

I especially remember how down in the dumps I'd get, somebody at work even asked me one day if she had done something to offend me, because I wasn't my old chipper talkative self latey. :shock: I proceeded to lay it all on the line and of course said it was peri-meno and it was like I had totally lost control of my ability to smile or joke around at times.

We have a VALID excuse for erratic behaviour. I'd call it the hormonal roller-coaster. Take heart one day the ride will end and you will finally get off of the damn thing. There is hope sista.

My mom is 79 and if she goes off of her hormones, she starts having hot flashes. :shock:

I toughed it out and didn't take any HRT, but everybody is different. It helped me a lot coming here and talking to my friends as well. As soon as I figured out everything that was happening to me was meno related it some how made me feel better, I was still sufferring with the hot flashes and CRANKY moods, but atleast I knew I wasn't dying from something.

Come here and vent all you want, that is what this place is for.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:27 am

Don't forget, when most of your mom's went through it, no one knew that it could cause all the other stuff and no one talked about it. I would bet even the doctors "whispered" the word and women thought their lives were over.

On top of not knowing, they've probably forgotten what symptoms they had. :) I would say very few women go through menopause THAT easily. Lucky ones that do, know better than to tell us that are suffering 95% of the 35 symptoms!

Knowing you're not alone DOES help, as does reading about how others are dealing with it. Education is one of the best tools to keep your symptoms under control (not erased, just eased). Knowing what your options are, recognizing the symptoms and being willing to experiment with different treatments (whether it's hrt, bhrt or the natural route) will help you get through. Yes, it could last 10 yrs. but if you've found the best possible combination for yourself, it will be much easier. It's all worth it when you get to the point of NO PERIODS!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:58 am

minniepauz wrote:Don't forget, when most of your mom's went through it, no one knew that it could cause all the other stuff and no one talked about it. I would bet even the doctors "whispered" the word and women thought their lives were over.

On top of not knowing, they've probably forgotten what symptoms they had. :) I would say very few women go through menopause THAT easily. Lucky ones that do, know better than to tell us that are suffering 95% of the 35 symptoms!

Knowing you're not alone DOES help, as does reading about how others are dealing with it. Education is one of the best tools to keep your symptoms under control (not erased, just eased). Knowing what your options are, recognizing the symptoms and being willing to experiment with different treatments (whether it's hrt, bhrt or the natural route) will help you get through. Yes, it could last 10 yrs. but if you've found the best possible combination for yourself, it will be much easier. It's all worth it when you get to the point of NO PERIODS!!

Testify sista!!!! It is like taking the worlds worst road trip with the most annoying people in the world, but when you get to your destination, it is like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow. Opps, wrong pot.

hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause