vegetarian needs advice

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

vegetarian needs advice

Postby fluff » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:38 am

Hi! I'm new to the boards. I'm 49, have been in perimenopause for 4 years. I've been a vegetarian (no fish, chicken or beef, yes to dairy/eggs) for 25 years. I had bad post-partum depression/anxiety when I was 30, and another episode of depression/anxiety at age 45, around when I started perimenopause. I've often wondered if my vegetarian diet contributed to these episodes, since no one else in my family is vegetarian and they haven't had these problems. I added fish oil to my diet about a year ago. Do any of you have any experience or advice relating to vegetarian diet (or giving up a vegetarian diet), to make perimenopause/menopause easier? Thanks in advance!
fluff

Postby minniepauz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi fluff....love the name!! :) Welcome to Minnie Pauz World! I don't have any experience with being a vegetarian, but hopefully someone here can respond with some helpful information. I did a search for "vegetarian menopause" and came up with this interesting article which I think everyone will find interesting: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32517.asp

The book mentioned there is available here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... auzcartoo/
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby fluff » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Dee,
Thanks for the warm welcome. The article was great! By the way, my nickname, fluff, comes from my crafting/sewing hobbies and always being covered with fluff!
fluff

hi fluff

Postby rubyju » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:07 pm

I am a veggie and i am suffering the same as you, i wonder if it is because we are veggie

hugs
rubyju :roll:
rubyju

Postby fluff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:06 am

Hi rubyju,
I keep reading different things about being vegetarian and how it either makes menopause easier or more difficult. It's so confusing. I hope that other people have experience with this that can help. hugs too, fluff
fluff

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 am

It's a shame if now eating healthy is going to make your menopause worse! I guess we need to find out if the lack of protein might somehow affect your hormones?

I've been considering going on a fish, veg and fruit diet to help with my psoriasis so it seems that the protein and dairy foods are not good for me. It's really tough to sort it all out.

The only way to know what works for you is to try it, I guess.
minniepauz
Site Admin

I wonder

Postby rubyju » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:03 pm

I wonder if it is because we are veggie, would like to know.
Thanks for your reply

Hugs
rubyju :roll:
rubyju

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause