Meds to delay periods

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Meds to delay periods

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a woman being prescribed by her gynecologist a medicine to keep her from having her period while on vacation. This woman I work with every time she takes a beach vacation she calls her gynecologist and asks them to call her in a prescription of some kind of drug to keep her from having her period while on vacation, especially when she knows her period probably will be showing up around that time? How common a practice is this? Why not just plug yourself up with a tampon!
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:14 am

I've only heard of people taking their birth control pill straight through instead of allowing that seven-day break (or in the case of modern BC pills, the seven-day placebo).

Back in the first Gulf War, they told women to do that- take the Pill continuously so they wouldn't get their periods.

Thing is, most insurance won't cover a continuous pill cycle. Ours only pays for one month at a time, so my daughters' doctor can't even prescribe the three month refill... we have to schlep to the pharmacy once a month, otherwise, we pay full price for two of the months. Its ridiculous!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby ladydebubba » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:57 am

I think this may be some kind of drug like she took earlier when she was having massive bleeding that was lasting 3 weeks at a time. It is what she took to get it stopped. It wasn't the provera I took to make me start. It did the opposite.
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Actually I was put on a drug for this in 1997 and have been taking it ever since. It's a progesterone only pill (primulutN) and it's great. However, I have a question how do I know when the menopause is over? I still have tons of symptoms with it, but it does hold off a lot of the hot flashes and sometimes helps with my mood. I tried stopping it a couple of times but I felt lousy. And I had horrible cramps. But then I have lowered the dose myself from 3 a day to only one so I guess that tells me I am very much into the menopause phase just not sure when to finally stop it. I was originally put on this in England where I'm from, but doctors over here although they dont know about this kind of treatment actually continued it and definitely doesnt do any harm as far as they can see or I know. I think every woman should be on it hehehe unless they want children of course.!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby ladydebubba » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Why someone would go to great lengths like that to keep their period from coming on while on vacation I don't know. Since this one and my last one both occurred after 3 weeks instead of 4 then I'm guessing it will surface on me again right about the time we leave for the beach on the 24th. But if I'm lucky, it will show up when our vacation is almost over instead. But if it does come on, then I will just have to use some tampons so I can go swimming. And wear the other the rest of the time.
Peri,
fibroids,
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:56 pm

And I think why wouldn't someone want to delay a period for as long as possible? I can't think of any reason to want to have periods at any time hehehe. Mine were so bad that's why I was originally put on the progesterone and then they decided I was going into peri and said well you may as well have one less thing to worry about and that was it, it's been wonderful not have all that stress and pain and flooding. I think the days where women feel they arent right unless they bleed are slowly disappearing and I think it's great.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:23 pm

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.seasonale.com/
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause