Ever get all shaky, like a sugar crash?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Ever get all shaky, like a sugar crash?

Postby jennykerty » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:40 pm

3 times in the last few months, I have felt a wave come over me like I am kind of shaky and weak. I eat something and then I feel better within about a 1/2 hour.

On 2 of the occasions, I was out in the hot sun, had several cups of coffee with sugar in the am, and barely any food. I can kind of see why that would happen--although I never really had that problem before...

Today it happened again, but I had coffee and cereal a few hours before, so I was not starving. Does this sometimes happen in your 40's?--I am 45.

Could it be a caffeine/sugar crash? Can it be hormonally driven?

I just don't want it to be diabetes (I am a hypochondriac--I go straight for the chronic and/or terminal diseases LOL) I do exercise regularly, but need to lose about 20 lbs....

Anyone else ever have this happen?

I have had anxiety issues in the past--But in this circumstance and can definitely tell it is physical and that the physical sensation then leads to being anxious--worrying about why it happened and hoping it won't happen again.

Thanks
Jenny :shock:
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 pm

It could be hormones, but not solely...you need to get checked out with a good description like you posted here. It might be a signal that your sugar is a bit low and that can be corrected IF you know what's going on. Don't let it get worse when all you might have to do now is make sure you eat small healthy meals throughout the day. If you let it go, then you WILL have reason to get anxious.

Make an appointment and then let us know what's going on ok? We really do care about everyone who drops in and is feeling concerned about all this stuff. It helps to know others know what you're going through!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby jennykerty » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:14 am

Thanks for your response.

The first 2 crashes were scary, but looking back--probably not without reason.

They both occurred after having several cups of coffee with sugar, something sweet (doughnut) and working or sitting in the hot sun and not eating again for 4 -8 hours (yes one of these crashes was when I ate at 9am and had a crash at 4:45pm--that's when I realized I had not eaten all day).

It was yesterday, that I had a crash several hours after having some cereal. That one I cannot attribute to not eating, but again all I ate was all carbs/sugar/caffeine.

Starting today I am changing my eating habits. A bit less caffeine and sugar, more fruit/vegetable and protein...

Even if all goes well, I still may call the doctor on Monday and make an appt. but if I have another episode, I will immediately call the dr.

Thanks
Jenny
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Postby parts2you » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:27 am

i think thats something that should definately be checked out by your doc, but ive noticed that sometimes i feel all shaky for no reason at all. not really weak with it,just shaky. happens to me alot in the mornings when i first get up, but sometimes at other times too. yes,please let us know what your results are.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby mgr » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:38 am

I have had this same feeling during the past two years. I am attributing it to peri. I would feel weak, as if I needed to eat, well knowing that I shouldn't be hungry. I started to eat more and gained a little weight, now I am trying to eat more often. My sugar is within normal range, but I'm told it's the low end of normal therefore I will have to be very careful. I had none of these problems until peri. I also suffered from anxiety since the start of peri, something I had never experiened before.
Good Luck.

MGR
mgr
Hot Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 pm

yes, I get that a lot, but I have underactive thyroid...from when I was 30, (well, diagnosed then, anyway), and it's one of the many symptoms.

it's hard to know for sure what it is, but I guess it's all hormone connected...one hormone or another :(
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby jennykerty » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:16 pm

:D

I'm happy to say that I have definitely been more mindful of my eating habits--have cut down on sugar in the morning, made sure I eat in the morning and throughout the day.

And I have not had any episodes since. It is a bit of work for me though, because it had become habit to have nothing but coffee until noon sometimes. I definitely feel better with oatmeal, than about an hour later, fruit, then about an hour later double fiber bread with peanut butter.

Then I can take a bit of a longer break until lunch (about 2 hours.)

I will continue to monitor myself though...

Jenny
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause