What if you just take progesterone?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What if you just take progesterone?

Postby Dianne » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi -

I may have missed a topic already about this - but - can I take progesterone without having to take estrogen? Are there risks associated with doing this? I am mainly bothered by anxiety/panic and a 'thumping' heartbeat that the docs say don't worry about :? and the progesterone seems to help. But I keep hearing bad stuff about HRT's so am wondering what harm I am doing to my body in the long run.

I hear a lot about estrogen and side effects from it, but what about progesterone? Is it bad for the heart also??

Thanks for any answers! :lol:

Dianne
"Earth is the insane asylum of the universe".
Dianne
On Fire!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm wondering about p. cream. I've not heard of it over here in the U.K. - but U.S. people, online, here, and elsewhere, have mentioned it, (for pre-menopause I believe).
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:02 pm

Here's one post about progesterone and if you do a search here on the forum you will find lots more....also ask Dr. Linda or Dr. Judy for their thoughts:

http://minniepauz.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ogesterone
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Dianne » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:07 am

Seventeen_At_Heart wrote:I'm wondering about p. cream. I've not heard of it over here in the U.K. - but U.S. people, online, here, and elsewhere, have mentioned it, (for pre-menopause I believe).

Hi seventeen at heart ~ -
I am seeing a naturopath doctor who is a bona fide doctor - just doesn't use the same methods to treat her patients. She prescribed Progesterone cream 10%. I have to say it is working well for anxiety and helps with sleeping, altho I still seem to have a thumping heartbeat which is annoying. There is a difference between progestin and progesterone; my understanding is that progesterone (bio-identical hormone) is better for your body than progestin. What do women do in the UK for menopause, mainly? I hear St. John's Wort and Black Cohosh are used in Europe quite a bit with good results. I would prefer to NOT take any HRT's, including progesterone. The naturopath doctor said that there is just too much controversy over estrogen (and progesterone, if you have a uterus which I don't anymore) for her to feel comfortable prescribing estrogen, but she doesn't seem to feel progesterone has the same dangers for esp. breast cancer as estrogen does. Sorry this has run on. What are you using for meno? Any success with it?

Dianne
54 yrs old
anxiety/panic attacks x 3 years
hysterectomy 1998 (except ovaries)
Dianne
On Fire!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am

Hi Dianne :)

Dianne wrote:...I have to say it is working well for anxiety and helps with sleeping,

that is reassuring..
altho I still seem to have a thumping heartbeat which is annoying.
I get that too...it can be a bit scary sometimes, and I try to sit quietly until it passes...I have an underactive thyroid, too, which can have that as one of the symptoms, also, so it's hard to know what brings it on...it could be both that and pre-menopause together :?

There is a difference between progestin and progesterone; my understanding is that progesterone (bio-identical hormone) is better for your body than progestin.
that's useful to know, thanks.

What do women do in the UK for menopause, mainly? I hear St. John's Wort and Black Cohosh are used in Europe quite a bit with good results.
I know St. John's Wort can be used for mild depression, and have wondered about it...there are some contra-indications with that, which may make it inadvisable for me, but I can't remember what it was now :?

Black cohosh I've heard of...again through the States...

I would prefer to NOT take any HRT's, including progesterone.
I'm sort of getting the understanding that progesterone is best for pre-menopause, the stage I'm at, (as I still get periods about every 21 days), where there may be too much oestrogen trying to compensate.

What are you using for meno? Any success with it?
nothing at the moment...I've just made an appt. to see doctor on Monday about various things, and want to request progesterone cream.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:44 pm

I take progesterone only pill and have been for 6 years it definitely does help. I originally was put on it for excessive bleeding and then when the menopause kicked in the doc decided I should stay on it. However, it's a real pain in the butt to come off, I have just recently stopped it and am having all kinds of problems with anxiety, headaches, you name it, so I am actually going back on it right now to try and sort myself out again. It's according to my doc perfectly harmless and while I'm suffering all these symptoms it's better to be on it than off.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby Dianne » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 pm

Seventeen_At_Heart wrote:Hi Dianne :)

Dianne wrote:...I have to say it is working well for anxiety and helps with sleeping,

that is reassuring..
altho I still seem to have a thumping heartbeat which is annoying.
I get that too...it can be a bit scary sometimes, and I try to sit quietly until it passes...I have an underactive thyroid, too, which can have that as one of the symptoms, also, so it's hard to know what brings it on...it could be both that and pre-menopause together :?

There is a difference between progestin and progesterone; my understanding is that progesterone (bio-identical hormone) is better for your body than progestin.
that's useful to know, thanks.

What do women do in the UK for menopause, mainly? I hear St. John's Wort and Black Cohosh are used in Europe quite a bit with good results.
I know St. John's Wort can be used for mild depression, and have wondered about it...there are some contra-indications with that, which may make it inadvisable for me, but I can't remember what it was now :?

Black cohosh I've heard of...again through the States...

I would prefer to NOT take any HRT's, including progesterone.
I'm sort of getting the understanding that progesterone is best for pre-menopause, the stage I'm at, (as I still get periods about every 21 days), where there may be too much oestrogen trying to compensate.

What are you using for meno? Any success with it?
nothing at the moment...I've just made an appt. to see doctor on Monday about various things, and want to request progesterone cream.

Hi ~

Thanks for your reply - appreciate your input! It's all very confusing at a time when I'm easily confused anyway 8) but I THINK that what I'm hearing is that taking estrogen and progesterone (progestin) when you have a uterus is not a good idea. I quit taking the Estrace because there is too much controversy about estrogen replacement. Even though it is plant based, it is still estrogen. Any pill that requires me to come in every 3 months to see the doc and really be conscious of every breast change is not for me!

St. John's Wort is good for anxiety as well as depression and Black Cohosh seems to work well for a lot of women.

My naturopath prescribed a few natural supplements for me to reduce the amount of adrenaline in my bloodstream, which was causing thumping heartbeats and really fun panic attacks. The pills are actually working after a week. I feel like a human again :roll: and can go upstairs without panting. Sometimes you have to keep looking for a solution. I didn't take anxiety pills that my family doctor wanted to give me because they cause all kinds of problems when trying to get off of them. I believe it's better to treat the cause than the symptoms :wink:

Good luck with your doctor; I hope he answers all of your questions :? There are some good books out there about hormone replacement - one is by Susan Love (you've probably heard about it), and the other is by Dr. Larrian Gillespie "You're Not Crazy, It's Your Hormones, which I found useful.

Dianne
Dianne
On Fire!

Postby Dianne » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:03 am

danmia wrote:I take progesterone only pill and have been for 6 years it definitely does help. I originally was put on it for excessive bleeding and then when the menopause kicked in the doc decided I should stay on it. However, it's a real pain in the butt to come off, I have just recently stopped it and am having all kinds of problems with anxiety, headaches, you name it, so I am actually going back on it right now to try and sort myself out again. It's according to my doc perfectly harmless and while I'm suffering all these symptoms it's better to be on it than off.

Hi Danmia,

Wow....6 yrs! I"m glad it helped with the bleeding. I didn't know progesterone was a problem to get off of. Is it progestin or progesterone? There's a difference from what I'm hearing/reading.

If it helps you, that's great! We need all the help we can get. I don't know which method is best - pills, gels or creams. Guess whatever works?

Dianne
Dianne
On Fire!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:16 am

Dianne, I was thinking of getting the cream because of Dr. Judy's advice on another thread.
Sounds good.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:35 am

well, I've just come back from the doctors, which I always find stressful anyway.
I am disappointed.
She said they don't prescribe progesterone cream here. (I think she meant U.K.- N.H.S.)
If I was found to be needing it they would start me off on low-dose H.R.T.
I asked if that would be oestrogen and progesterone. She said yes.
I said I would be concerned about that as I felt (from many descriptions), that I have enough oestrogen, but my symptoms very much indicate pre-menopause lack of progesterone.

I showed her the (35?) symptom list from here, which I had printed off and ticked what applied to me.
Oh yeh...and for the racing heart one she suggested I eliminate all caffeine to see if it's that. :?
I have about 2-3 cups, just in the mornings, of yes, strong tea...but no coffee, as that can make me jittery.
I know it's not that....it's really not too much caffeine compared to other people I know.

She suggested a scan at the hospital to rule out polyps causing the after-period old/brown blood slow loss, (which is usually mucusy, as I've explained on another thread here, and found others have it too).

I really do not want any messing about with vaginal probes and scans and long waits at hospitals...I had enough of that with my pregnancies and labours, and feel it's just pre-menopause symptoms.
I believe it's just that my body is slow to get rid of the lining and some of it is old blood.
:shock: *

anyway, I said I didn't really want any H.R.T. with oestrogen in if I'm already having too much oestrogen trying to compensate (or something - couldn't rememeber the exact way Dr. Judy explained it) - so I asked should I have a blood test to find out my oestrogen levels...which she agreed with, and that was done this morning...F.S.H. etc

my thyroid TSH result (from the blood test 10 days ago), indicated 'normal' again.
yeh right :? *

as my friend said, who kindly gave me and my husband a lift home from there (as I was so shaky after), ''if we were private patients it would be a lot different probably.''

I just felt rushed and not taken seriously ...again.
I absolutely hate going to the doctors - that's why it's been a year since the last time.

Edit:I've just read this
*:shock:
Oestrogen dominance can cause irregular cycles and retention of old blood. Because Natural Progesterone has a normalising effect on the menstrual cycle it can initially promote the shedding of this old blood. This shedding is desirable as old stored blood can increase the risk of endometrial cancer and endometriosis.

http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... terone.Use
which I'm looking at thinking I may have to buy my own progesterone cream if it isn't prescribed on the national health...
which is a pain as we're on disabilty benefit (my husband's).

*just found this, too
Unopposed oestrogen (oestrogen dominance) can interfere with thyroid hormone activity and is often an underlying cause of thyroid dysfunction. Because oestrogen and thyroid hormone have opposing actions, probably at the thyroid hormone receptor level, unopposed oestrogen will prevent the thyroid hormone from "completing its mission", resulting in "hypothyroid symptoms" despite normal serum levels of thyroid hormone.

http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... ne.Thyroid

Just found this too.
Apparently even if we buy it ourselves, in the U.K. we have to have it prescribed by a doctor.
:? http://www.npis.info/howtoobtain.htm
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause