Heeellllllppppp!!!!!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Heeellllllppppp!!!!!

Postby honey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:37 am

Hi Ladies,

I really am in need of some good advice. I haven't been tested for peri meno as my doctor thinks I'm to young. I will go back if these symptoms persisit but in the meantime perhaps you ladies can shed some light on the subject.

I'm 42 and have been feeling under the weather for the past 3 months. I came across the 35 symptoms of peri meno and wondered if I might have arrived!!!

I don't have hot flashes but I do have chills that appear out of nowhere and give me goosebumps. I didn't sleep for 3 months until my Dr gave me phenergan last week. I have scratched the skin on my legs raw cause they itch so much. My legs ache so much deep down in the muscles and feel tender and now my joints are starting to hurt. My feet also tingle on and off. My poor husband has been starved of sex for 2 years as it's to painful for me (and I have no urges anyway!!!) I even had a laproscopy to find out why but there was nothing wrong apart from adhesions. I'm still having periods but when I think about it now, I realise that they have been getting much lighter for a couple of years now. They are lasting about 2 days. I've also had this horrible taste in my mouth for a couple of years but the dentist can't see anything wrong. Anyway enough of my moans and groans, but any feedback would be really appreciated as starting to get worried. Thankyou all in advance.

Much love xxxx Honey
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:32 am

It's very likely that "some" of the things you are experiencing could be from the beginning of peri-menopause - certainly the changes in your monthly period is and the lack of sexual desire- but you should inform your doctor that you're not going to just settle for feeling like you are and if the doc cannot help you, find one who is willing to do something. It doesn't mean testing for menopause, but you should be tested for something.

There are many women who go into early menopause. My periods completely stopped when I was 42 and it was all natural, no surgery, no chemo, or anything else. That was 17 years ago.

Did the doctor say they would test for anything else like thyroid? Did you make a list of all the complaints you have and show them to your doc? If I were you I'd keep after them to put all the pieces together and either rule out any serious problems or find something that makes sense and can be treated.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:36 pm

Hey honey, I am 47 and have been experiencing some of the same symptoms you are experiencing. I have for about 3 or 4 years been having the weird upper body chills you experience. Just on my arms. But I've also been experiencing for about that time on and off flushed feelings on my upper body, especially my neck. Now I've starting have hot flashes and night sweats periodically. And not just when I am in bed. I've had difficulty with going to sleep and staying asleep for years. And like you, my periods are different. I have had two or three times where I skipped a month and I feel drained of energy many times, probably lack of proper amounts of sleep over all these years. And as for the problem with sex being painful, it is somewhat for me at first, I have spots of bright red blood afterward, no flow, just there when I dab with the toilet tissue. There are certain things you can use to remoisten yourself down there to alleviate that. Either over the counter or prescription. I have a prescription from my gynecologist for Estradiol tablets that are in an applicator that I use twice a week for the vaginal dryness issues. Check with you gynecologist and see if they can provide you with something for the dryness. My husband has avoided things with me a great deal because of my having bright red spotting afterwards. But I figure since it is not a flowing event and is just present dabbing with toilet tissue it is not that big an issue. I did mention it to my gynecologist. And I've had two abnormal pap smears since January, atypical cells, supposedly inflammatory in nature, but I'm thinking that is the source of my inflammation, whatever is causing that. Make note of all your symptoms and go see your doctor about them. I am having to have another pap smear next Friday to check again for any change in the atypical cells I have, they generally do not change though I was told. Haven't changed any from the first to the second. But it will involve further testing if this one comes back abnormal. I am going to mention my fatigue to my gyno doctor and see if she will test my hormone levels and my thyroid levels. Good luck and let us hear.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby honey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi

I have been tested for thyroid and rheumatoid arthritis which are both in the family but they came back negative. Also anemia and diabetes. They didn't check my hormones. My breasts are also sore 2-3 weeks out of 4 and I get really irratable which isn't usually me. My poor family!!!!
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:34 pm

My breasts are sore usually two to three weeks out of the month also. Mine are getting very sore now and my period isn't due until around the 20th. Most times my period comes on after 3 weeks but it didn't this past month. I wished now I had not mentioned the tiredness as they will want to make a pin cushion out of me and I am so fearful of needles. I started taking a daily iron supplement yesterday. Hoping that will help. Although low iron has never been an issue with me before. You might want to try taking some iron. :D
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:51 pm

problem with iron is...I read a few months ago, it can interfere with thyroxine uptake and efficiency.

Maybe only a problem if on replacement thyroxine, like me...but I try to get it in natural food as much as possible, and leave some time gap after taking my thyroxine with just water first thing in the morning...

I mention this as Honey's thyroid test may not be that accurate...here in the U.K. Honey, they're not as forward thinking as the States (I'm in B'ham, so not far from you).
I wish they would test by way of antibodies, here, not just TSH levels, which can be deceptive.

Honey, my dad had rheumatoid arthritis, my sister alopecia, both auto-immune disorders...and me, Hashimoto's underactive thyroid (diagnosed when I was 31).
Unfortunately auto-immune disorders can run in families, but emerge as different kinds.
I am very interested in the psychology (as well as the physiology) of all that.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby honey » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:10 pm

My maternal grandmother, my mother and her 3 sisters all have rheumatoid arthritis. My mother and 2 of her sisters also have an underactive thyroid which initially took me off to the doctors as I was also feeling very, very tired but blood tests show everything normal. I then read that peri menopause symtoms can be similar to underactive thyroid, so on top of the lighter periods, tender boobs and loss of libido and VERY painful sex amoung other things I looked into this site. The more I read of others symptoms the more I wonder if I'm peri. The only thing that throws me off is the lack of flushes and night sweats. I'm confused about what happening......

Honey xxxx :(
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:40 pm

honey wrote:the more I wonder if I'm peri. The only thing that throws me off is the lack of flushes and night sweats. I'm confused about what happening......

:(
as Dr. Judy (on here), and others explain...hot flushes/flashes can be a sign of low oestrogen...in peri/pre-menpause it can be that oestrogen is actually dominant, so not lacking, but progesterone, which is meant to balance the oestrogen, is low, or lacking, and causing the symptoms.

Keep reading and you'll come to the threads where this is explained.
In the meantime I'll share some stuff I found yesterday after a disappointing trip to my G.P.- and also something connected to this forum
http://www.npis.info/basicprogesterone.htm
http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... .Oestrogen

http://www.minniepauz.com/jpaley2.html
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:16 pm

So my hot flashes and flushed feelings may be due to low estrogen levels. What do they do for that??? Don't they just test TSH levels over here in the States also?
Peri,
fibroids,
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:36 am

ladydebubba wrote:So my hot flashes and flushed feelings may be due to low estrogen levels.

well they may be, but I couldn't diagnose you.

What do they do for that???
I think that's where normal combination H.R.T. (including oestrogen) helps some, I believe...maybe look on the threads to see what Dr. Judy has said about that.

Don't they just test TSH levels over here in the States also?
sorry if I confused you, but TSH testing is for thyroid problems.
Yes, they do test TSH over there too, but I read on a few sites to do with thyroid problems (based in the States) that with auto-immune thyroid disease it can be more accurate to get antibody tests...
i.e. to test if antibodies against the thyroid glands are around and in excess.
When many pay for their healthcare (unlike us with the N.H.S. in the U.K.) you have more say in what they do, I think.

TSH testing is complicated - to do with t3 and t4 levels - and the lower and upper levels have changed. It seems that the U.K. is more reluctant to accept that than the States, and class you as normal when the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level is high (compared to the most recent recommendations),
but I'm not really qualified enough, or understand it enough, to fully explain.

I think the new doctor here, Dr. Linda spoke about thyroid issues in one of the threads.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby honey » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:33 am

Why is it that here in the UK if your basic blood test for anemia, thyroid etc come back normal, they don't seem to want to delve any deeper? "It must be a virus" is probably the most common saying amoungst our G'P's.... they make me feel like a hypochondriac when I visit the Doctor maybe once every 3 years or so. I'm hardly ever ill and when I am I don't go to the Doctor unless it's been ongoing for weeks. I suffered from anxiety 17 years ago for a year, it was really bad but now I think they put any ailment I have down to that. It makes me really MAD!!! :x
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 am

honey wrote:Why is it that here in the UK if your basic blood test for anemia, thyroid etc come back normal, they don't seem to want to delve any deeper? ...
I was really blessed that, as a young mother in '91, the doctor I had then did delve deeper than the normal test - it took a while but the diagnosis of underactive thyroid came back.
She was so lovely....I have never had a doctor like that since :(
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Progesterone cream

Postby Welsh girl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm

Seventeen at heart,

Can you get progesterone cream here in the UK? Presuming that this is what I might be lacking after reading Honey's post. I know theres no point in having a blood test yet as it will probably come back normal (still having periods).

Thanks for any information

Welsh girl xxxx
Welsh girl
Warm Pauzer

Re: Progesterone cream

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Welsh girl wrote:Seventeen at heart,

Can you get progesterone cream here in the UK?
yes, I am hoping to get some soon myself...
here are a couple of links

http://www.npis.info/howtoobtain.htm note this says you need a prescription to get it in the U.K.
BUT, when I e-mailed this site
http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... roductid=1
which sells it, their reply was that I didn't, so maybe something has changed.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause