muscle cramps in my legs

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

muscle cramps in my legs

Postby honey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:36 am

Hi everyone.

I think I must have read through every single post looking for anyone who has experienced muscle cramps or aches and pains in their legs but I've only found one or two. It started with a stiff, cramp like feeling in my calves and then I had it in the front of my thighs. It's eased a lot now but there in still a niggle there. I'd like to know in case it happens again. Is this very common in peri as I am starting to get a little anxious...
Honey xxxx :roll:
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:46 am

I think we do experience more cramping as we get older...a lot of women have reported this which is why sore, achy muscles are listed as one of the 35 symptoms of menopause:
http://www.minniepauz.com/menopause-sym ... oints.html

I get more charlie horses than I used to and have learned to do controlled stretching (meaning I don't point my toes or stretch too far) in the mornings.

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? Your body might be low in essential minerals or something.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby honey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:15 am

I've started taking magnesium and other vitamins and minerals but I don't know how long they will take to make a difference. I have seen the list of symptoms and read about people having aches in other parts of the body but not many mention the legs. I don't get it at night when I'm asleep only during he day. Any feedback would be very welcome indeed.

Thankyou so much
Hugs
Honey xxx
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby iluvtolaff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:50 am

I was having bad cramps in my calf muscles for a while. I went back to drinking OJ twice a day (for the potassium) and they've stopped! Maybe this will help you.--??
Hot Flashes are a way of life!

My Paint Shop Page
iluvtolaff
One HOT Woman!

Postby jennykerty » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Honey:

I went thru a short period of time where I was getting a charlie horse in my calf almost every night.

I haven't had one in a while now. I don't know why I had them or why they went away.

Jenny
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Postby abramsj » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:19 pm

I've been getting them the last few weeks as well. I can't figure out why either.
abramsj

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:16 am

I found this explanation that might help:

"Most leg cramps occur in calf muscles, but cramps in your thigh or in your foot are also possible. Older women are more prone to leg cramps and other contributing factors can be lack of physical exercise, an imbalance of minerals, problems with blood circulation apart from menopause.

For those of you that experience the problem of leg cramps only on certain occasions during menopause, you should consult with your doctor regarding the medications you are taking, as leg cramps may be a side effect of certain medicines."
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 pm

My mom used to wake in the middle of the night with horrible leg cramps and I'd have to go into her room and knead them out for her, she finally started eating more bananas and oranges for the potassium and viola....no more leg cramps....it's scary waking up to yells from the other room!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause