Am I in peri?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Am I in peri?

Postby silverspider » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:47 am

Hi everyone,

I think im just after some re-asurrance here but having read the 35 symptoms of peri-menopause, and im about to turn 40 in Dec, I feel I can say I could possible be in there with just about 3/4's of the symptons.

I've been feeling that way for about the last 2 years, but with the hot sweats once in a while but certainly getting woken in the night by being over hot but not sweating profusely and just waking up for no apparent reason. This year my periods started to shorten to about 4 days and now to 7 days. Also moving from every 4 weeks to either 3 or 5 weeks. Also my last period lasted 7 days and then with still really sore boobs which dropped off yesterday restarted after one day off and has run another 7 days.

I've have awful feelings of anxiety, depression, burst into tears for no reason. Cramps in my legs and in my lower back just before my periods are due.

I am off to the docs tomorrow but my worry is that she wil send me straight too the hospital for tests for this that and the other that I feel I dont need.

Having read your symptoms I finally feel I can understand why I am feeling how I do now instead of being told its all stress and in my head.

Thanks for listening

Gilly
Gill
silverspider

Postby honey » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi there,

I know where you're coming from. I've also been feeling this way for a while but not realizing that the symptoms may be menopause related. I went to my dr's about a month ago and asked her if it could be my hormones and she said I was way to young at 42. Since then I have had even more of the 35 symptoms so I am pretty sure I'm peri menopause. Let me know what the Doc says as I would be really interested to know if she offers you a test or hormones or something. I've decided to keep a record of my symptoms and periods before I go back to see her. Anyway enough of my gasing. Good Luck at the doc's...

Honey
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Don't doubt yourselves, Girls....trust your instincts! And tell your docs that you have it on good info that you're NOT too young to be STARTING peri-menopause! Tell them that all you want is verification that your symptoms are not something more serious and then you want to feel they are your partners in managing your experience through menopause. Be sure to read everything you can....you should be able to tell them with confidence that you know peri-menopause usually starts with some irregularity in your periods and a variety of these other symptoms coming on and off. Also, you should know that peri-menopause could last anywhere from 5-10 years and when you haven't had a period for 12 full months, you will then be post-menopausal. There's a lot of stuff to learn in between there, but the most helpful thing you will have is knowledge! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby silverspider » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 am

Hi Honey & Dee,

you've both made me feel much better this morning. Mind you I was woken only once in the night last night and had a relitivly good nights sleep which did help too.

Well im thining of writing all my symptoms down for her as Im sure once i get in there this evening I'll be so wacked from the kiddywinks today as they are on half term that i'll just burst into tears and forget everything.

I was talking to my mum in law about it and her first thoughts was this is the start of it all. Im afraid both my sister in laws and my mum had forced menopauses due to hystorectomies early so they dont know.

I'll let ya know later how I get on.

Honey, Im in south glos, Im just waving over the Severn to my new neighbough :howdy:
Gill
silverspider

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:06 am

I am living proof that there is no "too young"! I started having undeniable symptoms when I was 34 years old. The doctors acted like I'd lost my mind- "Oh, you're much too young for that!"

Never mind I know my body. Never mind alleged family history. Never mind I've started everything else early in my life (including puberty!).

Two years, lots of weight gained, several medical tests later, they said, "Huh. You were right... it is peri-menopause."

GAH!

**and I know there are women out there who start even younger... they just haven't found us here yet.**

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby silverspider » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:06 am

it wouldnt suprise me one bit if i've been in it a lot longer than the last year or so as I have since my mid 30's suffred with anxiety for no apparent reason and waking with panic attacks for no apparent reason. I've always been told its in my head and to stop worrying.

My docotor now is a differant one from back then and the practice is a modern one so Im just hoping she will listen to me.
Gill
silverspider

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:17 am

Hi from a bit further up north-east, from B'ham :D
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby honey » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi Gill,

Any news on the doc's visit?? You know when I think about things I now realise that I have had things happening starting maybe 2-3 years ago. I think a serious lack of libido and painful intimate moments!!!!! was the very beginning of it. Then unexplained inability to sleep through the night (this is coming from someone who needs 8-10 hours a night and can usually manage this no problem) then nothing that I can really think of until about 4 months ago when I started becoming very anxious and depressed. We went on holiday in august and I was a really miserable B*T*H, I hardly spoke to anyone the whole time!!! My poor family. Then started the aches and pains and so on and so on......How about you, whats your story.

How's life in Gloucester????.................Honey
honey
Warm Pauzer

Postby silverspider » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:04 am

Hi Honey & girls,

Well trip to docs went fine. We did a blood test to determine which way to go and to rule out thyroid problems. So 've got another appointment next week when the tests are back. She was great, she didn't question me over perimenopause at all.

But in the mean time my period has finally just about finished - let hope it stays finished for more than a day this time :).

Gloucester at the moment is dry and blooming cold and dull - just as depressing as the hormones:)

Hows it in wales?
Gill
silverspider

Postby minniepauz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:12 am

You sound much more confident, Gill. :) I believe this can make the difference for many women by approaching the doctor's appointment (maybe the first one to discuss peri-menopause) with some assurance that you are of the right age, having some of the symptoms and having some knowledge of what is going on.

If everyone goes in expecting their doctors to be a "partner" in the plan to get through this, instead of being afraid to speak up and feel like a child, I believe we'd have a much easier time, both emotionally and physically. Good job!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Hot & Cold

Postby bizziebee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:33 am

It is so good to catch up with people who are going through this awful menopause thingy. I have had a week of waking up boiling hot, sweating like a pig then freezing cold topped with the rapid heart beat as well. YUCK. Then during the day, it is abdominal pain, feeling flushed and bascially drained.
Does anyone else feel like they are going crazy?? Dee, thank God for your site and all these people to share stories with. thank you!
bizziebee

Postby minniepauz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:24 am

You're very welcome bizzie! Cute name too! :) Where are you located (in general-don't need your street address! LOL) You should add a little more info on your profile! So glad you're here!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Where am I?

Postby bizziebee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Dee
Thanks for your reply.
Okay - I'm on the other side of the world on a beautiful rock called Norfolk Island. Population of approx 1700. I am one of the descendants of the mutiny on the bounty.
Take care and keep up the great work here. This site is a credit to you and very helpful as well.
Cheers
Bizziebee :D
bizziebee

Postby minniepauz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Wow! How fascinating! Here I am, 59 years old and I have never heard of Norfolk Island. :oops: But I looked it up and plan on spending some time learning about it.

"Norfolk Island (Norfuk: Norfuk Ailen) is a small inhabited island in the Pacific Ocean located between Australia, New Zealand and New Caledonia. It and two neighbouring islands form one of Australia's external territories."

One thing you might want to do is check with your local hospital and see if they offer any seminars, etc. on menopause. I don't know what you have available to you there or what your own thoughts are regarding hormones, homeopathic solutions and other ways to ease the symptoms you're having. I know there is an Australian Menopause Society, but they're probably as helpful to "real" women as our menopause societies are....NOT.

What age are you and are you still having periods? I'm just trying to figure out what stage of peri you might be facing....
minniepauz
Site Admin

Peri (or Pre-) Menopause

Postby bizziebee » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi there Dee - good to hear from you again.
Yes - a great number of people have never heard of this place.
I am nearly 48 years young and still get my periods but without warning and never regular - ie between 5 & 14 days in duration.
Some months worse than others. It seems every 3 - 4 months, I have a bad bout of discomfort and I get at least 95% of all your meno symptoms and at times really bad. Like now - and I think I'm going crazy. We don't have the facilities you mentioned and we do get regular visits from a gynaecologist from Australia. I also have endometriosis and have never had children. In January this year, I had a laparoscopy and a DNC by the gyno and he told me then I was going through the change and suggested I have a hysterectomy which would cure all the symptoms!! What a load of crock that is I have since found out. You may also be interested to know that I started my menstrual cycle at age 9 which was a shock to myself and my Mum. I have had a good checkup and have had blood tests done, but the pathologist told me FSH tests can never determine menopausal symptoms!!
It's the racing heart and hot and cold flushes that scare me the most and when I told my doctor I though I was having a heart attack - he laughed. He checked me out and said that I am in excellent health and my BSL and cholesterol results were perfect and the only test they are waiting on results for are my thyroid tests.
I hope this has given you a good idea on what I am going through at the moment. Like I said - almost 100% of all the 35 symptoms you list - I am experiencing.
Have a great day and take care until next time.
Cheers
bizziebee :oops: :)
bizziebee

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause