Peri-Menopause, Pee and Pride Pissed Away

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postby marytkelly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Last week, I was running around the house dancing all over the place after watching my newly beloved Colorado Rockies advance to the WORLD SERIES.

Since then...I have now come to these stark realizations and truths:

I cannot sneeze and hold my bladder.

I cannot cough and hold my bladder.

I cannot dance and hold my bladder.

I cannot yell at my husband and hold my bladder.

I sound like a cow.

How about, "I cannot sneeze and contain my urine"?

Hmmm...too sanitary (there's nothing sanitary about any of this).

How about, "I cannot cough and not pee at the same time?"

Crass.

How about, "I cannot dance and be dry?"

Too vague.

How about, "Run and Piss".

Too adolescent male.

The humiliations I've suffered in the last 6 months over these pee-leaking incidents are becoming numerous and out of control.

The worst was when I was recently walking with my friend Susie out of a restaurant after a fine meal. I was in my cute age-denial blue jean mini-skirt.

Since I only sneeze in duo's or triples, this ups my chances of exposure. I did one of my 3 in a row sneezes, and was mortified to realize that the yellowish liquid containing waste products that is excreted by the kidneys and discharged through the urethra was running down my legs!

I was more mortified than a 12-year girl in white pants getting her period for the first time.

Luckily, my swift and subtle sweep down my leg, as if I was swiping off an irritating fly, seemed to fool Susie and most of the passer-byers (with the exception of that one hot guy whose blatant stare at me was quickly replaced with a look of disgust).

My bio-identical hormone doc told me that my newly slapped on emergency estrogen patch would help with this "incontinence".

Between experiencing menstrual periods every two weeks and this unwelcome walk down the pre-verbal days of wet diapers, I'm obsessing about a large supply of DEPENDS.

Aren't Depends for 80-year old's, not 40-50 something-year olds?

Are the 50's the new 80's when it comes to bladder control?

Is there anyone out there who has this same problem? I did have 4 children in 5 years, but that was a long long time ago.

The other night when my Cinderella Team won, I was yelling and jumping up and down in my living room (a double whammy):

"YEAH ROCKIES!!!" (pee, pee), "GO ROCKIES!!!" (pee, pee), "ROCKIES REALLY ROCK" (pee, pee, and more pee).

Good thing for my husband's old sweats. Hope he doesn't mind.

Mary

:oops:
marytkelly
Warm Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Y'know what Mary...in spite of all the physical crap, I think your humour is doing great.
You made me smile.

I don't get that, maybe because of my 2 emergency Caesareans, rather than vaginal deliveries, (I get plenty else though :( ),
- although I need to pee so many times at night...my bladder has a 'oh she's now lying down and closing her eyes,' radar inbuilt. :(

Are the 50's the new 80's when it comes to bladder control?
:D you should 'write' - you have a talent.

seriously...many sympathies :(
there again, someone who can still wear a denim mini-skirt...why do you need my black-trousered or stretchy jeans daily sympathy? :D
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby marytkelly » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, humor is an essential vitamin for me to take in my daily life. I read recently that laughter on a daily basis can add 8 years to our lives!

And you have a daughter going through puberty?

You need a sense of humor real fast!!!

Thanks again,

Mary
marytkelly
Warm Pauzer

Postby ladydebubba » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:27 pm

I have the same problem. I cannot ever sneeze without peeing a little bit. I wear pantyliners many times for that purpose. And I am 47. :shock:
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby Simone » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 pm

You are very funny. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm new to this forum and am not quite sure of how to get around, but I'm trying. I don't have this problem, but if I were you, I'd go for a liner or if you need, a depends and enjoy life without this added stress. :oops:
Thank you, Simone
Simone

Postby danmia » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:26 am

Well here's a cooincidence I was just going to post about peeing problems. Mine is not the leaking kind, although I do wear liners just in case hehehe the way the menopause goes you never know when the next thing is going to happen. Mine is when I pee lately it's so long, where does it all come from? I had to get up twice last night and it wasn't like a UTI because it went on forever. No pain, no stinging just peeing. There was a commercial on TV last night for Monastat and I said oh I havent had one of those infections for years, and my husband said shut up meaning dont say that because you will. So that was funny or not. Sometimes I have to say when I'm constipated with my IBS that seems to affect my bladder a lot. Anyhoo your post was so funny you have a great sense of humor and I do sympathize with your problem, isn't this all such fun? Without a sense of humor I don't think we would ever survive this torture. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for making me smile a 7.00am this morning and hope this is just a phase for you.
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seawind36 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:00 am

I have to add in my thanks for the smile! Sometimes when things like that happen I just want to crawl in a hole1 I feel like I have to be the only person in my age group that is doing this so it helps so much to come here and find out that it isn't just me!!! LOL Hubby and I go shopping and so often, I end up the trip hurrying to get home and change, saying - I am going to start carrying a change of clothes and underwear for me, just like I do for the kids! But I always forget, until it happens again!

I definately sympathize!
Robin, the certifiable granny
Peri since 2002
Seawind36
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:27 pm

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Brandy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:02 pm

:oops:

I'm right there with you... I really thought it might be that I wait too long (lazy) to get up and go to the restroom. Invariably - a cough and yikes, I run !!!
Brandy
Warm Pauzer

Postby marytkelly » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great, compassionate and funny responses.

I will say that now that I've been on this life saving estrogen patch, the whole pee thing has definately tapered down.

I tried it out the other night when I was watching the first game of the World Series between the evil Boston Red Sox (no offense please--my daughter goes to college in Boston and I love bean town) and my beloved Cinderella Rockies.

At the end of the game I was jumping up and down and NO LEAKAGE!

Except from my eyes...13-1 Red Sox.

Mary
marytkelly
Warm Pauzer

Postby Bevy1958 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:49 am

I had a good laugh reading these posts and I'm happy to say I didn't pee. I know I shouldn't laugh at you ladies but you wrote with such humour I couldn't help myself. A couple of years ago I had that problem as well and it could get embarrassing. My doctor gave me a perscription for Detrol-LA and my wet pants were dry again. One capsul a day and I no longer have to squeeze to sneeze!!
makin snow angels with just shorts and a T-shirt on...that cools me down!!!
Born 1958...been peri since about my late 30's
Bevy1958
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 am

Oh my!! Can I use that in a cartoon? hahahahah....love it....squeeze to sneeze!! LOL :rofl:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby drjudy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Another boon to ladies who leap and leak is a skin patch called Oxytrol (sounds like a washday product, doesn't it?). This patch is changed twice weekly, and the medication is delivered across the skin in a steady fashion. Hopefully with fewer side effects.

Many women in my practice have found Enablex the best prescription product for this problem.

All that emotion, Mary, for nothing in the World Series. The not so mighty Rockies have struck out...big-time.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Bevy1958 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:19 pm

minniepauz wrote:Oh my!! Can I use that in a cartoon? hahahahah....love it....squeeze to sneeze!! LOL :rofl:

as long as you send me a copy of that cartoon...lol...to think my leaky peepee inspired a cartoon. :lol:
makin snow angels with just shorts and a T-shirt on...that cools me down!!!
Born 1958...been peri since about my late 30's
Bevy1958
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause