Insomnia, Night sweats...UGG!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Insomnia, Night sweats...UGG!

Postby TimeInMyHands » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:13 am

I am still having periods so I assume I am in peri-menopause...although they are getting sparse and coming sometimes twice a month and then none at all for several months.

I just had another awful night, waking up several times to throw the covers off, then waking up freezing abit later and piling them back on!
I know I got some sleep last night...just not much!! :(

And the Night sweats are not even full-fledged sweats!! My forehead breaks out in a cold sweat and my feet feel like they are in an oven, but the rest of my body is OK. Weird, huh?
I have never been much of a "sweater" anyways so maybe that has something to do with it?

This seems to be my worst symptom {so far!}...I can deal with occasional insomnia but the waking up several times after I have already gotten to sleep is making me cranky, not to mention feeling like I need a nap at some point in the day!
Any ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jane
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby TimeInMyHands » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 am

Oh and PS...I am currently having some other health issues {abdominal pain} not related to menopause that I'll post about later.
The Night sweats and insomnia seems to have gotten worse since this all came about so I wonder if it's related or because I am worried about some testing I am having done soon?
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:15 pm

I suggest that you make a list of all your symptoms and then go down the list and make a note if it could be peri or if it's related to another condition. Then see your doctor and have everything kind of separated to discuss. That will show the doc that you're up on what's going on, but need help sorting out your options.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby TimeInMyHands » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:08 am

Thanks Dee! My GYN just kind of stands back and listens quietly when I discuss my peri-menopause symptoms!
It's almost like she has nothing to offer me...not much input at all other than to keep exercising, strengthen my muscle tone and always after me to quit smoking. {which I plan to try again after I get my health issues out of the way!}

Sometimes I feel like I am talking to a brickwall!! :roll: And this from a woman DR!!!!!

I am due for my annual routine PAP and checkup in January so I will start making a list like you said and see what she can do for me then.

Jane
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Jane says:
I can deal with occasional insomnia but the waking up several times after I have already gotten to sleep is making me cranky, not to mention feeling like I need a nap at some point in the day!
Any ideas? Thoughts?

I've also suffered insomnia because of night sweats and hot flashes, and I know how cranky it can make you!! :cuss:
For myself, I do get a nap if I can through the day! After-all... I've got to have enough rest to get me through the night! :rofl:
The world will never care how much you know,
until; The world knows how much you care!
Zon
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:53 am

TimeInMyHands wrote:It's almost like she has nothing to offer me...not much input at all other than to keep exercising, strengthen my muscle tone and always after me to quit smoking. {which I plan to try again after I get my health issues out of the way!}

I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago and most of my health problems went away....honestly! I had chronic bronchitis and high blood pressure and it went away when I quit. I know it's hard but you really would feel better if you quit. I smoked for 43 years and then decided that the possibility of emphysema or cancer was just not worth it anymore.

Be sure to read the "Can You Quit" part of the forum, you might find some inspiration there. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm

During the Summer, our AC went out for 24 hours. I swelled up to twice my size and all.

My dad paid to have it fixed (which turned out to be a waste, because it wasn't even broken, apparently, it froze itself). But he also paid for us to have a yearly maintainance program. Part of it is a seasonal inspection on the unit. A week ago, the guy came out to inspect and repair anything. The entire inside of our furnace was rusted out... totally. Apparently, its been spewing carbon monoxide for at least three years!

He said he wasn't "legally allowed" to let us run the unit. We had to get a home equity loan to get a new furnace. It gets installed Wednesday.

But, it got me thinking... all my health issues have gotten worse in the last three to four years... I wonder how fast those things will clear up now that we're not being exposed to carbon monoxide!

Our house is old and drafty, so as the furnace/AC was spitting out the carbon monoxide, our house was seeping it- which is why we're not dead!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby TimeInMyHands » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:05 am

Thanks everyone and sorry I went MIA so quick after just getting started here! {LOL! 8) }

We are planning a wknd visit to my daughters and I have been trying to get everything together she wants us to bring her, laundry done and packed, a sitter for my birds and dog boarded, yada, yada, yada!! :P

This is probably not the right place to post my health problems but just a short note that I am scheduled for a Colonoscopy in mid-December after an ultrasound reveiled swelling on my intestine and a "Chrohn-like appearance". Needless to say, I have been in alot of discomfort for the past month and a half and with the peri-menopause, NOT much fun to be around at all! I am hanging in there tho! :roll:

Zon...Oh, naps are a MUST sometimes!! :D LOL! Thanks for the welcome!!

Minnie...I actually quit smoking this past March for a whole month using "Chantix" {hubby quit too!!} but ended up relapsing horribly once it began getting warmer out!

I plan to try again soon using the "Chantix" and every other tool I can find!! Thanks for directing me to the "Can You Quit" forum!! :D

psexypsychic...That is scary!! :shock:
We have a really old house too and several years ago the chimney cap got blown off in a storm and birds built in there over the summer clogging it up! It was a mess to clean out but the guy said we were in danger of being exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide!

Take care all and have a great wknd!! I will pop back in next week!!
~Time~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Time

I've suffered from early waking for quite awhile, no problem GETTING to sleep just waking REALLY early anywhere from 1-4 hours after falling to sleep....tho lately (knocking on wood) I've slept all nite thru. I won't take the prescription sleep aid my Dr. suggested as I had some customers at the pharmacy tell me tales about driving/eating/etc...while using it....last thing I need!! lol
Hopefully yours wont be longlived. good luck with the colonoscopy..the only part I minded was the prep...all i can suggest with that is eat lite a few days before the procedure and drink the stuff COLD!!! Keep us posted

Psexy...I'm glad no one got hurt by the furnace etc...that can be so scary and with no real warning either!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby TimeInMyHands » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:57 am

Glad to be back home! We picked the absolute worst wknd to go visit daughter at Ohio State with their huge loss to Illinois at Saturdays game! :(
Other than that, we had a nice visit and I got an early start on my Christmas shopping!

colopam...Thanks! I have heard the worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep before! Actually I am more worried about the IV since I have this huge fear of needles! :shock: Hopefully they will get the "happy juice" flowing real quick and I won't even care!! LOL!

I don't blame you for not wanting to take a prescribed sleep aid. I do pretty well with just taking a Tylenol PM now and then but I have always had trouble with feeling groggy the next day even with just one.
I am going to try wearing a cami and sleep shorts to bed and see if that helps with waking up feeling like I'm in a frickin' oven! I am just going to wear them underneath my usual PJs which I need till I go to bed since it has gotten colder here in Ohio, but I'm strippin' down when its bedtime! {LOL! :wink: }
I'll let ya'll know how it works for me!

~Time~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:21 pm

Love your avatar, Time!! It adds some nice color to the board!

If you have trouble with nightsweats, I would invest in some "wicking" sleepwear. One of my favorites (and I believe the best prices) is http://www.serenecomfort.com

The best natural sleep aid I've ever used (other than Sleepytime Tea) is called Dreamerz! I'm hoping they are going to become an advertiser on my site in the near future, but you can check it out here: http://www.dreamerzfoods.com I'm telling you, it really works great and tastes delicious!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby TimeInMyHands » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks Minnie! :D I will check out those sites but actually did better last night with the cami and sleep shorts than I have in weeks!! Yay!! :D

I just noticed you were from "that state up North" that we play this Saturday!! LOL! :wink: Interesting!!
There is a documentary on HBO tonight about the rivalry between OSU and Michigan but unfortunately we don't get that channel...I would have loved to watch it!

~Time~
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:11 am

Time
I haven't had hot flashes yet (quickly knocking on wood) but have in the past had warmies, tho not for awhile now that I think of it...I always said I'd never know whether I was having a hot flash or not being down here in God's waiting room (FL) and working in a VERY hot environment. We sleep with a fan on year round mostly for the sound but when its hot we have it directly on the bed (I always have it directed at my legs otherwise so I can cuz it feels good. The nite time temps (daytime now to think of it) are perfect rite now (55 at nite and 70's in the day) this is the time of year that perfect down here it make the 3 mos of high humidity and heat worth it.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby TimeInMyHands » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks Pam! Oh, what I wouldn't give to live in a year-round warm climate!! It is getting COLD here in Ohio!!! BRRrR!!

I must have spoke too soon cause I had the night sweats again last night even with the cami and shorts on!! :(

I do pretty good though, if I can keep the sheets just around my middle and leave my arms and feet out!! LOL!

~Time~
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 pm

I have to sleep with my legs elevated because of edema, but my feet and calves are always uncovered. And, I have a little fan on my side of the bed that blows on me.

Meanwhile, the husband is on the other side of the bed with a blanket and a big comforter. My heat is set at 68 degrees and when someone complains they're chilly, I say, "Put on a sweater! I'll break your fingers if you touch my thermostat!" (usually followed by a hiss or something). ;)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause