Is this normal???????

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Is this normal???????

Postby clwflorida » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 pm

I am 48 years old. I do have hot flashes. But, I have not had a period in over 5 months. Yes, it is nice in one way, but is this normal? Could they start again at anytime? I feel fine and am not on any HRT. I will not do that, I have melasma, and have heard the HRT could aggrevate that condition. Along those same lines, does/did anyone have melasma and did it go away during peri/menopause?
clwflorida

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! What you're describing is totally normal. You're a perfect example of normal. :) Yes, you're likely to have some irregular periods in the months (and possibly years) to come. You may be one of the lucky ones who just stops (like I did at 41). You just won't know what your menopause looks like until you've experienced it. :)

What is melasma? It's not too bad going through all this without hrt.....I never took any, but you may have to really make some adjustments in your lifestyle. Being educated and prepared for the unexpected is going to help you along the way.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby barveda » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 pm

In the last two and a half years I have had two D&C's by my gyno, and nothing changed. I started missing periods a few years ago, and as of right now, I am experiencing 4 months with out one. Prior to this length between, it had been 4 months as well. I keep counting....
barveda
Warm Pauzer

peri-hell

Postby sfgirl1 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi all. I'm returning to the board after a 2 1/2 year absence- my name was sfgirl but I can't find my old login info. I've been blessedly absent of hotflashes that were the reason for my coming here back then- until about a month ago. UGH. It has graduated into full blown no-sleep nights- hot cold soaked shivering, et al. No period in 5 months. I'll be 46 in 2 weeks. Making an app. w/ a gyn- someone told me there's a blood test I can get to see where I am in pre-meno.

My memory has been going. Yikes! So my approach is to do as many natural remedies as I can unless it gets intolerable. I have a family history of breast cancer so I need to be careful what I put in my body. I've been using homeopathic pellets in the middle of the night and those help a lot. Whoa, here comes another. Gotta go- and anyway I can't remember what I was saying. HA!

Thanks, Dee, and glad to see you stayed not smoking. That is such an accomplishment (one whos been there). :P
--am almost 46 & having night sweats & hot flashes.
sfgirl1

Postby barveda » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:43 am

Sleepless nights...me too! Once I do fall asleep, I awaken suddenly. I feel as if my nerves are shot and forgetfullness is getting worse. I have to keep everyday things in regular spots throughout the house, because watch out if I don't. I can spend a lot of time trying to find them. IE: my purse, meds, cigaretts....etc etc. This change, has changed the core of who I was....ARGH!
barveda
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause