Does ANYONE have chills INSTEAD of hot flashes???

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Does ANYONE have chills INSTEAD of hot flashes???

Postby Welsh girl » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I never read about anyone having chills instead of hot flushes. I know some of you have chills after a flush but thats not what I have. I've had one or two warm monents but nothing really worth mentioning. Also, anyone having tingling or pins and needles in their feet? I've heard they are both peri symptoms but no-one ever seems to mention them. Am I Odd?????
Welsh girl
Warm Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:01 pm

chills, cold...thyroid?

I can't say I have had hot flushes/flashes yet, but that's because I think I still have oestrogen as I am still ovulating/having periods..
but have plenty of peri/pre-menopause symptoms*... :(

it's worth going into your personal detail over this as we're all different

*it's worth noting that oestrogen can still be around, and infact, sometimes dominant, whilst progesterone can be very lacking
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby JAM » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:21 pm

NO, you are not odd!! I get the chills more often than the hotflashes too. It is a symptom of perimenopause. I'm 49.

My Gyn recently put me on low dose birth control pills so I will have a regular monthly period and she said it will help with the cold/hot flashes too. I had a endo biopsy and that had showed that I was estrogen dominant. I went on Prometrium (a progesterone) but then my estrogen was too low and I still wasn't having a period.

Mine aren't too bothersome but they do feel odd. I have read on other message boards about the cold chills during this time too.
JAM

Postby Welsh girl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. Any info from anyone is so much appreciated as I haven't had my hormones tested.

Thanks everyone and keep them coming....
Welsh girl
Warm Pauzer

Postby ladydebubba » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:45 pm

I get weird chills at times also. But I have in the past had flushed feelings around the neck and upper body also.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Re: Does ANYONE have chills INSTEAD of hot flashes???

Postby findthetime » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:07 am

My husband is a large man, our 2 sons are large and athletic (no fat here), our 2 daughters have lungs that hate these Alabama summers or even toasty winter nights, and I'm on the small side. Maybe I should say, "I WAS on the small side!" Anyway, needless to say, our home has always been kept on the cool side. No, It's down right cold! I'm talking about wearing sweetpants in the summer! In Alabama! But.....

Over the past 3-4 years the frequency of hot flashes began to increase. During one of those "private heatwaves," as I stripped yet once again, my husband turned over to face me and said, with a smile beginning to emerge on his face, "Now you know how the boys and I feel when you turn the thermostat up." By the way, this had not occurred very often. His comments were nipped in the bud once he saw my eyes roll and head shake ever so slowly from side to side. Before I could utter a word, he was up and adjusting his small table-top fan on my bedside table. At least he has a sense of humor about things and usually knows when to lock his lips. Just as I began to enter the sleep-wake state and thought to myself, "Yea! I may actually get to sleep!" it hits. A freezing frenzy! I mean a bone-cold type of cold. As I was swipping my arm across the foot of the bed trying to locate the fleece blanket, without realizing it, I was muttering out loud about who and why would someone take my blanket. I guess this awoke my husband because just as he leaned over to toss the blanket my way, his cheek hit the back of my left hand. Yes, that's right , his cheek hit my back-hand. (I can't help but chuckle when I think about this.) I wish I could have seen the expression on his face and thank goodness he couldn't see me grinning ear to ear. He got up and said that he would return once I "was settled." He really was a good sport. No since both of us not sleeping. The kids needed at least 1 parent rested and in a good mood for the next morning.

Thus began the cycle of hotflashes followed by freezing frenzies. Over the past 6-8 months I have only experienced these freezing episodes. I tend to stay cold as a baseline then develop the freezing episodes. The evenings are worse than all those early years. I have been through the battery of test and everything is normal...... no anemia, thyroid, or anything else. In fact my lab work looks better than they ever have.

Well, I guess now you know that I'm easily side tracked and lost in details. I think it's because I think in pictures. My mind has always put into pictures the things people say, things I read, songs, and etc. However, if you were to ask my husband, he'd say that I'm just a little bit ditzy and it goes right along with the blonde mop on my head. And to this I would respond, "At least I have hair." There I go again. Sorry!

Sooooooo, Yes, I get the chills too and it seems to just be part of this era of life.

I look at it this way, if I must, "In everything give thanks," I will. So what if the icing on the cake (the silver lining) is that I get to have a chuckle at my husband's expense as he deals with me dealing with all these changes AND 2 daughters just entering the hormone overloaded teen years. He has no hope....The poor thing....Naah! God has got to have a sense of humor. After all, He did plan all this. Right?

Thanks for posting the question. None of my gal pals have experienced the chills; they are all just drowning in a sea of sweat. Now I know I not alone.

Fighting the freezing frenzies,

findthetime

DO you think God but this name, findthetime, (I've used this for email for over 10 years) in my head because I would frequently ask my husband, "Where am I going to find the time to do this?" I mean with our busy schedules, 4 kids, and their busy schedules I was living based on a jammed-packed schedule. I guess I found the time. It's between 12AM and
4-5 AM. Why not? I'm awake!
findthetime

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:31 am

:D I sympathise, with you and your husband...and your husband is like mine, who not only has a hormonal wife, but a hormonal teenage daughter too.

Last night about 4 a.m. I woke really hot...too tired to go downstairs and check if my daughter had turned the thermostat too high (as she does sometimes).
It was predicted to be minus 7 C here last night, but I did NOT feel cold.
Eventually I had to open a window, (even though we live on a very noisy inner city street :( ), and turn off the radiator in this bedroom...
I didn't really sleep after that, and at one point went quite cold, but didn't know if I was really cold or not, as it kept changing...

:|

P.S. 'my husband's face hit my hand' :D in our sleep once (in about '94) when I was acting out a weird dream, a nightmare (which I don't get usually). It was a shock to both of us, but we saw the funny side later.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Oh my goodness!!! I thought it was only me who was having this symptom. Its been 9 months since my last monthly and I had some hot flashes a few months ago but now I am just half frozen ALL the time. Miserably, uncomfortably so. Sometimes it starts as a trembling, shivering chill somewhere around my waist and moves up and out. I have been bundled up like an eskimo most of the winter.
I had always wondered how I would fare when this time of life came. My Mom did not have too much trouble when she went through "the change", but I have always been a "chilly person" anyway and I am not a sweat-er at all. It has to be really hot before I sweat.
I am due to go in for my check-up in a couple months and I just figured that if hormones can throw off our temperature control system and give us hot flashes, why couldn't it do the opposite? Next week/month the hot flashes may start. :cry:
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:32 am

gracious granny wrote:I am due to go in for my check-up in a couple months and I just figured that if hormones can throw off our temperature control system and give us hot flashes, why couldn't it do the opposite?
... the thyroid is the temperature regulator for the body.
I know you said you had it checked, but, especially, if they just use the T.S.H. test it doesn't always give a true picture....different labs have different guidelines too.

Some people get thyroid issues with age, some earlier through auto-immune (like myself), but it does usually cause chills and coldness when hypo (under) thyroid.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:57 pm

I have a family history of Hypothyroidism so my Dr. has always been very careful to do a complete thyroid profile on me. But when I go in I will ask more questions about this symptom.
These "cold flashes" are odd Because they come on just like a hot flash. Only cold instead of heat. When it happens I am covering up and when it passes I take stuff off. As I said I have always been a chilly natured person and we have had an especially cold winter here where I live. But I will have it checked out in depth. Thanks for the advice. :D
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 am

Yesterday, after I took my shower, I had one of those nausea-inducing, dizzying, drenched-like-a-marathon-runner hot flashes. After I got past the nausea and dizziness, I laid down in bed, with my fluffy bathrobe just thrown over me to cover just the barest parts. Less than five minutes later, I was shivering from the cold. I curled up in a ball under my fluffy robe to get warm and ended up taking an accidental nap.

I felt better when I woke up, but still! I was cold for hours following that!

Oh, as for hormones- my husband and 16 year old son get to put up with me (menopause monster), and my almost-15 year old daughter AND the 18 year old daughter. They're both on different kinds of birth-control pills for two different PMS/period issues... and their cycles are exactly a week apart. The guys who live here get maybe... one good week out of a month!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby getnthere » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:10 pm

At night I alternate between cold and hot. The covers look my husband have been goin' at it all night but that is unfortunately not the case (that's another post) HA!
Anyway...I do have some tingling on the back of my right shoulder that has just begun to bother me. You want to be sure it's not a pinched nerve though so you want to be sure and get it checked out. I've had a pinched nerve before and it not only tingles it hurts so that may be the difference.
getnthere

Postby romancechick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:41 pm

My body temperature is never the same as anyone else's in the house. Just this afternoon I picked up my son up from school, my daughter (18) was on the sofa with a blanket and a book. I was so hot I was sweating (it's 85 here!) just looking at her.

Usually though, I keep a sweatshirt or jacket handy at all times. People in Baton Rouge keep their buildings at 65 in the summer, so I'm always too cold inside. And in our house, I'm either cold when everyone else is comfortable or I'm having a hot flash and tearing off my shirt!

I sleep with blankets, but spend the night tossing them off or hauling them on.
Nancy
http://www.nancysbrandt.com - my blog and writing website
http://weightloss.dreamhost.com - my weight loss blog

No power in the 'verse… can stop me.
romancechick

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Does this look familiar? :)

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby romancechick » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:34 pm

change the man and woman around and it could be me and DH, except we never have a window open.

I used to put the fan on over the bed because of hot flashes and night sweats. Nothing's more fun than holding a little 4 year old with a fever who is falling asleep on your shoulder as you get a hot flash!
Nancy
http://www.nancysbrandt.com - my blog and writing website
http://weightloss.dreamhost.com - my weight loss blog

No power in the 'verse… can stop me.
romancechick

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause