Aching Bones

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Aching Bones

Postby susanj » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 pm

New to Forum

Hi,

This is my first post on the forum. I am 47-years-old and going through peri-menopause. I have lots of different symptoms, but I have a question about one in particular that has been really bothering me lately. Has anyone had problems with aching bones and muscles? For the past 2 weeks my left arm (I know, the one associated with heart attacks) has been aching, off & on. Sometimes it seems to settle in my elbow, most of the time it just aches. A couple of years ago I am the same problem with one of my legs. Until 2 weeks ago, it had been ten months since I had a period. Then for about a week, every time I went to the bathroom, I was wiping a little blood. I never actually bled though. I never put a pad on. I also have a thicker middle than I used to have. I have hot flashes, not as bad as some I've heard about, but a lot of mornings, I wake up drenched in sweat. I'm looking forward to hearing other's real life stories about their experiences.

Thanks,
Susan
susanj
On Fire!

Re: Aching Bones

Postby minniepauz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Welcome Susan! It seems that you're right smack in the middle of this like so many members here.....the right age, the right symptoms and now you're in the right place. :) Many women have had those aches and pains start up during peri-menopause. No one has determined an exact cause yet, it just seems to be part of it for SOME women. My theory is that it might be our first taste of normal aging. It could be a lack of something like magnesium in your system, who knows? This is why in a perfect world our doctors would know what to test for at this time to get a base line so that as we progress further towards menopause, we would know what levels of what are affecting what!! But since we have insurance companies controlling so much of what doctors can do these days, it has to be on a more whistle and a prayer.

If I were you, I'd read as much of these stories as possible, throw in a couple of good articles from the internet and take it upon yourself to conclude that you ARE in peri-menopause and decide what your options are based on your health history, doctors' recommendations and whatever else comes into play for you. Be sure to keep your sense of humor in good shape too....you're gonna need it! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Glad someone mentioned this as I have a similar thing. I feel sometimes like my bones are aching, particularly in my thigh bones - strange, eh. The only thing I can liken this to is when I was about twelve and had growing pains!! I remember my mum telling me it was the body stretching itself to get bigger ... not sure if she was right but it was in fairly intensive bursts and felt like it was right in the bones.
Perhaps this is a 'growing-older' pain ???
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby kazy68 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi there fluffpot,

I to have this problem especialy in my thighs to, when i was younger and my mom was going through the meno her legs used to ache, when we asked if she was ok she simply replied, it's just my legs getting ready to shrink a little, we always used to laugh at this one but over the years i feel she has shrunk :?
I know that as we age we DO get smaller, maybe this is puberty in reverse :lol: it is the same achy feeling as it was way back then, let us hope we dont all shrink too much eh! :lol:

Kazy
xx
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby cheri45 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Hey girls,

I just turned 47 today and I know for me, anyway, magnesium is awesome at keeping the achiness away (among other things), mostly in my legs at night. I take 250 mg after breakfast and 250mg 1/2 hour before bedtime with a few almonds. Try to get magnesium cirate though and not the oxide as it doesnt absorb well.

Ann Louise Gittleman's book "Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause" is one of the BEST books I've read, and keep referring to as I need to... or, more like when I forget what I read and need to refresh my brain on something I need to know! :D

Cheri
cheri45

Postby minniepauz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:58 pm

Happy Birthday Cheri!!! and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing too....

:bd: :party:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause