success without HRT?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

success without HRT?

Postby bizykatbird » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:33 pm

I am 45, peri menopausal, right know I am the only female in my immediate family with all my working parts...my mother had a hysterectomy....took HRT for years....ended up with breast cancer and a double mastectomy in her late 50's early 60's. My sister, who is 48... has had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis. She is on the hormone patch. My mothers opinion...even with her breast cancer history is that I would not be able to make it without hormone replacement. I really don't want to poke anything medication wise into my body that I don't have too. My Mom has had all sorts of medical problems, and is on all kinds of medications.... I believe some of which just causes more problems....that they prescribe more medicine for...
Well after rambling on here....I want to know who of you out there, are making it through or have made it through without any type of Hormone replacement? Is there hope?? :?
Kathy
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

Re: success without HRT?

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:15 pm

if you feel you are in pre-menopause, why would you think of just looking at oestrogen (the culprit in things you're worrying about).

There is progesterone too, which many of us in pre-men need to get the balance.
(see a number of other threads here, including comments from Dr. Judy)
sorry I'm on GMT time and it's late and I'm tired - forgive briefness.

Kathy, do you know if you lack oestrogen?
many of us in a certain stage of pre-men have too much oestrogen actually.
(It sounds like your family has oestroegen dominance - sadly :( ).
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby bizykatbird » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:44 am

I haven't ever had my hormone levels checked, so I really don't know.
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 am

Kathy....I'm 60 (in April) and have never taken hormones since my periods stopped (naturally) at 41. (I believe it was early because I was a smoker). My mother had another child when I was 16....she was 34 and then sometime after that she had a hysterectomy and has been on estrogen to this day at 78....so far no cancer thank goodness. My sister, who also smoked, is 58 started taking bio-identical hormones about a year ago and seems pretty happy with the results except she's had some trouble lately with her hair falling out or thinning and I think she had her prescription adjusted....not sure since she lives in IL and I'm in MI.

Anyway, my point is.....we're all different and we just have to make a decision based on our own personal history. I've gone without hrt and SO FAR, everything is fine. My mother's been taking it for years and years (Premarin) and SO FAR she is fine. My sister is taking it and SO FAR is fine.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby bizykatbird » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Does there seem to be a difference between those who go through it naturally and those who have surgical menopause? Are you more likely to need the replacement if you are thrown into menopause due to a hysterectomy? I have been diagnosed with fibroids, and although at this time they are not bad enough to require any kind of surgery, but there may be that possibility down the road.
Kathy
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

Postby gracious granny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:49 pm

I have read several books about peri- and menopause the past few years that have stated that menopause that comes on abruptly through surgery is harder to cope with than when it comes naturally. I guess when its natural it comes about more slowly and gives our bodies more time to adjust. But I am no Dr. :biggrin:
I went through the pre-menopausal years through most of my 40's and now at 48 I am going into my 10th month since my periods stopped. The irregular odd cycles drove me batty but I am of the mind too that I don't want to take HRT if I don't have too, so far it hasn't been too bad, but I wouldn't refuse to try HRT if I really started having problems.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:28 am

Sorry my previous post seemed a bit abrupt and probably didn't explain properly.

bizykatbird, what concerns me is the H.R.T. is offered, but it is always estrogen/oestrogen based. Nothing else seems to be considered, firstly, by most G.P.s (doctors).

If you read some other threads on this forum you'll see, even confirmed by Dr. Judy, that fibroids feed on oestrogen.
Breast cancer can come from too much oestrogen...

I'm not sure, but isn't endometriosis a type of disorder that too much oestrogen does not help?

as other thread discussions explain, and Dr. Judy is good at explaining, there is a stage of pre-menopause in which some women have too much oestrogen, and not enough progesterone to counter-balance this, so get some troublesome symptoms.

another problem is that doctors sometimes offer synthetic progesterone (progestin?), which is not as effective as the bio-identical natural progesterone.

(I have had my female hormones checked, but haven't gone back for the results yet, as I find our doctors too stressful and unhelpful)
But my symtoms are classic low progesterone (short cycle - heavy periods and other things).

If you are wanting to avoid H.R.T. -
and have concerns about breast cancer and fibroids, I offer you these links as they will explain better than I can.

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/estrogen_dom.html
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/main_hormone_news.html
http://www.minniepauz.com/jpaley2.html
http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... .Menopause

I do believe that estrogen gets into our bodies from outer sources, like water etc too...and it is important that we do not have too much.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby bizykatbird » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Wow thats really interesting....there are several symptoms on that list that I have...
Everyone has been very helpful. Thank You. I guess the Doctors don't check hormone levels unless you specifically ask them too? When I go in for my checkup in May I am going to request they check them...
Kathy
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Even then they may not check hormone levels 1. because they fluctuate day to day, sometimes hour to hour and 2. because many insurance companies won't pay for the tests.

Many of us have begun to know our bodies much more intimately throughout this process because we've found that our intuition is as valuable as a doctor's "diagnosis" for something that is natural and will happen to every woman. We just have to trust ourselves and our "sisters" who have shared their experiences. Remember: MENOPAUSE IS NOT A DISEASE, IT'S A LIFESTYLE!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 am

minniepauz wrote:Even then they may not check hormone levels 1. because they fluctuate day to day, sometimes hour to hour .....
Many of us have begun to know our bodies much more intimately throughout this process because we've found that our intuition is as valuable as a doctor's "diagnosis" ...
yes, that is what I was thinking...

that's why I've not rushed back to the doctors to get my results...as I know they don't even do full blood tests with my thyroid (which is another issue), and so I don't have confidence in the usefulness of it...
but as you say, Dee, I have learned the patterns and symptoms of my changing body and menstrual cycle over the last few years...
I have read plenty, from a wide variety, from those who have open minds and experience...
and that is helping...
the natural progesterone cream is already balancing up my cycle, (on 26 days now) and improving my skin.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:26 am

I think this article is useful on this
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/news_bhrt.html

some quotes from it...

Use a sprinkle of common sense and a dash of logic

Rule 1. Give hormones only to those who are truly deficient in them.

The first rule is common sense. We don’t give insulin to someone unless we have good evidence that they need it. The same is true of thyroid, cortisol and all our hormones. Yet, conventional physicians routinely prescribe estrogen or other sex hormones without ever testing for hormone deficiency. Conventional medicine assumes that women after menopause are estrogen-deficient. This assumption is false. Twenty-five years ago I reviewed the literature on hormone levels before and after menopause, and all authorities agreed that over two-thirds (66 percent) of women up to age 80 continue to make all the estrogen they need. Since then, the evidence has become stronger. Even with ovaries removed, women make estrogen, primarily by an aromatase enzyme in body fat and breasts that converts an adrenal hormone, androstenedione, into estrone. Women with plenty of body fat may make more estrogen after menopause than skinny women make before menopause.

Hormone replacement therapy is a laudable goal, but it must be done correctly. HRT based on correcting hormone deficiency and restoring proper physiologic balanced tissue levels, is proposed as a more sane, successful and safe technique.

(he recommends saliva testing, rather than blood serum testing, as more reliable)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this online checklist about hormonal balance might be useful
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource ... etest.html

obviously not to be taken on it's own without reading up on things in more detail.

see this about fibroids too
http://www.johnleemd.com/store/fibroids_uterus.html

it would explain why I have to urinate a lot.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby warminspringsun » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:23 am

Hi

I am surgically menopausal and not on HRT. I took it for the first 6 months and it made me ill, putting up my liver function which is coming down slowly now that I've stopped taking it.

I have felt better without it than I did with it, but the tiredness gets me down, however that could also be due to having two major surgeries within 18 months so I am hoping it will improve as the months go by. I am 9 months post op now.

warminspringsun x
Born 1961
surgically menopausal due to endometriosis
warminspringsun
On Fire!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I've avoided taking HRT although many of my friends are on it. To be honest, I've probably had a fairly easy time from what I have read and seen of other women's experiences. I had a couple of years of really heavy bleeding which were difficult to cope with, but that's stopped. Hot flushes, although not as bad as throwing the bedsheets across the room, and itchy skin have been the worst of it. Emotionally I've been fairly OK although I went through some kind of depression, feeling really sad and depressed and crying, which lasted about three months. I always use soya milk which I think does make a difference, and I only have one cup of coffee a day instead of the normal 8-10 which I drank some years ago.
I wish I could say that I ate a healthy diet but it could be better. Despite eating plenty of fresh stuff I have recently got a tubby waist which I am trying to shift!
My doctor has offered HRT but I don't think my menopausal experience has been so extreme and I am very cautious about medicines, so I wouldn't take stuff unless it was really necessary. But I know that my friends have had good experiences on HRT as they had dreadful symptoms, so I guess it is a matter of luck that I've been able to avoid it so far.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause