OTC test kits

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

OTC test kits

Postby Bambi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:21 pm

MY second post! If anyone read my intro a couple of days ago they'll see I am just FULL of Q's :) I'm relating to everyone here and it makes me a little less anxious but I am quite freaked out since this seemed to hit pretty suddenly (in my mind anyway). So when I missed the second period I found an OTC test kit. I think it was called "Menocheck" and it's a urine kit with color bars like a pregnancy kit. Has anyone used this and/or know the reliability of these kits? I took one test right after I realized I'd missed a month (and had continued to have a 2-3 week spotting a month prior). It read negative. I did then get my period the following month. Missed again so did the second test in the kit and it read positive. When I'd missed a couple of months again I looked for another kit. Had to go to 6 drug stores before I found one. Walgreens appears to be the only one even carrying them and only one store had them and it was on sale as if phasing out (this Menocheck brand is the only one even carried). I wondered if this meant they were phasing them out for some reason and thought it was weird only one brand available when there were probably 20 Pregnancy and 10 Ovulation kits (even a man's fertility OTC!)

So I was having really bad dull cramps (pelvic and lower back) for a few days but that was it and when nothing happened again I used another test. It came out negative again. This was this morning. I am following instructions to the T and not on any antibiotics, hormones, etc that should confuse the test. I am NOT pregnant (not a chance there!)

Thoughts?
Bambi
Hot Pauzer

Re: OTC test kits

Postby minniepauz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:02 pm

The tests are not as reliable as pregnancy tests (they weren't either when they first came out), mainly because your hormones fluctuate so dramatically....sometimes from hour to hour. :)

I think they're good in some cases when a woman suspects maybe this is the beginning. It kind of helps reassure her that she's not losing her mind. :) But they are not exact and it seems to be confusing to you. It will only say yes or no, but like I said it could be wrong.

What I'm trying to do is educate women about what to watch for at the very beginning (irregular periods) and what the process will be through the months and years to come.

Glad you found us here and I look forward to getting to know you! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Bambi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Yeah - First one no, second one yes and then third one no (all within 3 months). Can't imagine though why else I would have such irregular periods at 49 though. I've never in my life missed more than one and now I'm going on three.

I read on some other site that you can fluctuate so much that they can be unreliable and then read on another that they are 99% accurate and as good as what they test with at the gyno.

I made an appt. today to see gyno though (in 2 weeks). Do you think their test is more reliable? Also, what other tests should I ask for? Is there one that measures hormone levels as opposed to FSH?

Honestly I'm feeling pretty good other than freaking about missing periods and cramping all the time like it's imminent.
Bambi
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 am

Here's some information about testing for menopause:

Patient history and typical clinical features suggest menopause. A Papanicolaou (Pap) test may show the influence of estrogen deficiency on vaginal mucosa. Radioimmunoassay (RIA) may be performed, but because of the expense involved, it isn’t necessary to confirm a diagnosis of menopause. If done, RIA shows the following blood hormone levels:
❑ estrogen: 0 to 14 ng/dl
❑ plasma estradiol: 15 to 40 pg/ml
❑ estrone: 25 to 50 pg/ml.
RIA also shows the following urine values:
❑ estrogen: 6 to 28 µg/24 hours
❑ pregnanediol (urinary secretion of progesterone): 0.3 to 0.9 mg/24 hours.
Follicle-stimulating hormone production may increase as much as 15 times its normal level; luteinizing hormone production, as much as 5 times.
Pelvic examination, endometrial biopsy, and dilatation and curettage may rule out organic disease in patients with abnormal menstrual bleeding.
---------------------------------------------------------------
The FSH is the most used test, I think, but you can pretty much figure you've started the process when your periods become irregular...... mine stopped at age 41, so you're right on cue. Thyroid problems can have very similar symptoms so it's a good idea for the doctor to check that too.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause