Fibroids

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Fibroids

Postby Bambi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:42 pm

I requested my records last week from my ultrasound back in Nov. I had called twice to ask and both times they told me I had one fibroid that was benign and no f/u ultrasound needed for one year. But now that I'm looking at the lab report here's what it says:

1 fibroid, 4.2 cm x 4.4 cm x 4.8 cm. Subserous. Left lateral wall.
Uterus Abnormal, size 8.6 cm. Anterio-posterior 3.5 cm. Transverse 6.8 cm. Volume 107.8 ml.

That seems kind of big for a fibroid to me. Is it? The stuff about the uterus I suppose might mean abnormal in "size"? Because the fibroid is large? (I've never been pregnant). And subserous? Does that mean it's in the wall and growing away from the uterus?

I've always had terrible cramps but this is the first time I've been told I had a fibroid. First time for an ultrasound too but they only did it because they felt it in my yearly exam this time.

It's my understanding from reading that estrogen levels spike around peri so maybe it had a growth spurt and will get smaller as I go through it but do you think I should go ahead and ask for a follow up ultrasound before one year?

I have a dr. appt. next week to test FSH levels and want to make sure I ask all appropriate questions.

Bambi
Bambi
Hot Pauzer

Re: Fibroids

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Bambi wrote:
It's my understanding from reading that estrogen levels spike around peri ..
yes, the connection between estrogen, or oestrogen as we spell it here, and fibroids has been something that has been sinking in with me, in relation to me being in peri-pre-menopause, and pretty sure I am what Dr. John Lee described as oestrogen-dominant...

and, strangely, I was thinking, only this week, of the need for a dedicated thread on Fibroids as a few ladies have written about having them...
and I was wondering how to present what i was learning and to share some possible helps...links, writings etc.

(bit too tired now, as on G.M.T. - maybe I can sort out what i mean in the morning).
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby FilleFrançaise » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 am

Oh my!
My GYN suspected that I had fibroids because sometimes I have bleeding, while taking progesterone/estrogen therapy. However, after the tests, I don't have any. But she's still menacing me with a hysterectomy if I should bleed during my "cycles".

This makes me very nervous although many women have simple hysterectomies. That way I'd be able to drop the progesterone from my HRT. What do you all think?

Best to you, Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Postby Bambi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:25 pm

Just about everyone I know who has had a hysterectomy has said it either started with fibroids or they were very present once they got to that point. Everyone who had surgery though does say they did it because of never-ending bleeding. And that it wasn't a matter of one fibroid but many. I read somewhere that 40% of women have them but by talking to some people I know that % sounds low. Maybe it ranks low because people do have but don't know it. My sister swears one of hers was large enough it showed. That one side of her tummy pooched out more than the other. After surgery it did not.

Bambi
Bambi
Hot Pauzer

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:32 am

from http://www.npis.info/menopausenatural.htm
Oestrogen stimulates breast tissue: it can encourage the development of fibrocystic breasts, and supplementing with oestrogen is known to increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer. It also stimulates the lining of the womb, the endometrium, increasing the risk of endometrial cancer and encouraging the growth of fibroids.

After they had been using the natural progesterone for a while, Dr Lee’s patients brought him other information. Those who were still having periods reported that their premenstrual tension had vanished. Others told him that their fibrocystic breasts were clearing up. Women who had suffered from water retention for years no longer needed diuretics.

Women who had been suffering from depression were starting to feel good. Some women with low thyroid function reverted to normal, and women with fibroids found that they shrank or were sufficiently contained that surgery could be avoided.

from http://www.progesterone.co.uk/index.cfm ... .Oestrogen
Oestrogen Dominance
Natural progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum after ovulation and balances the side effects of otherwise unopposed oestrogen. Under influences of anovulatory cycles, menopause stress and dietary antagonists, progesterone production ceases or is suppressed and the effects of Oestrogen Dominance, can be observed. Many women experience otherwise unexplained weight gain from the lack of progesterone that is required for proper thyroid function.

It is also important that we distinguish Natural Progesterone from Yam Extract and from its counterparts in the drug industry - PROGESTINS.

Although these drugs are commonly referred to as progesterone, this is a misnomer, they are synthetic. In some ways they mimic the effects of progesterone in the body, but in other important ways they gravely interfere with natural progesterone and can create and exacerbate hormone related health problems, and be a primary contributor to the condition referred to as Oestrogen Dominance, some symptoms of which include...

from http://www.minniepauz.com/jpaley2.html
All hormones, taken orally, are delivered straight to the liver where they are rather
efficiently broken down. First given by painful injections for threatened miscarriages,
progesterone was then prescribed in a variety of ways for PMS, including by rectal
suspension and vaginal suppositories. No wonder that women did not rush to
embrace these preparations. More recently, progesterone has become widely
available as a skin cream, sold over the counter. Just like the estrogen skin patches,
progesterone absorbed through the skin is not first passed through the liver so it is
more readily available for use by the body.

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/fibroids_uterus.html
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby FilleFrançaise » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Seventeen,
Thanks for the link! I read it over and am totally confused. The information was very clear but I don't know what to do. I seem to have many of the estrogen overdose symptoms listed, but I'm taking progesterone (synthetic, HRT).

I'm very afraid to change from the HRT, because I did once and had nothing but problems. I am going to talk to my GYN armed with this excellent information.

Again, thank you so much for your help.
Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Postby happyhere » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:57 am

Bambi,
I had fibroids & my Dr. kept an eye on them from my year to year pelvic exam, & also how heavy my bleeding was. My Dr. told me that fibroids are hereditary. My Mom also had a hysterectomy when she was around 36. I had fibroids, read Dr. Lee's book & tried using progesterone cream to shrink them but that didn't work for me. I had a thermal ablation in July of 06, that didn't work because fibroids were to big. I started bleeding for 24 days straight after the thermal ablation. I have always read where fibroids shrink after menopause, I was only 50 could I last maybe 6 yrs or so bleeding like this all the time!!! Fibroids are most always benign from what I have read. I opted to have a hysterectomy in Feb. of 07. Couldn't take the heavy bleeding anymore. I lost 13lbs after the surgery because my uterus was so big!!

happyhere
happyhere

Postby FilleFrançaise » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 am

Happyhere,
I hope you are recoving well from your operation. Please get better soon!
Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause