New Symptoms

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New Symptoms

Postby notreadyyet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 pm

Hello all, new here.

I am nearing 50 years old. Have suspected peri-menopause for the past 7-8 years.

Cycles have dropped from 36 to 31 days. Periods have dropped from 7-10 days to barely 3. But they are a very heavy on day 2.

PMS is horrible! I get paranoid and worried about everything. I keep my mouth shut, knowing it will pass. :D Not much fun.

Sleeping is very difficult. Body aches, restless, thinking about everything I should not be thinking about. And...the thing that made me think I need to really pay attention, I had night sweats last week. :oops: I woke up 2 nights before my period started, hot, took some clothes off, the night before I started my period I woke up to wet PJ's, wet sheets, wet hair on my neck, you name it, definitely a night sweat. Now I'll have minor ones all month, it is a pattern that I've noticed, but what about the major ones? It is common to have them on the nights right before starting your period?

The other thing is feeling out of sorts, in general. More forgetful. Dropping things. I really do not think I have any physical problems, but I do not feel like myself. I get anxious more easy and feel stupid when I cannot remember things.

No age in my life has ever bothered me, not 50, not 40, but this pending change scares me to death. It makes me feel old. I know, whah, whah, whah, but I have always felt so good physically and now I can see it changing. What steps I am taking is trying to eat healthy, cut out some caffeine, and cut back on artificial sweetners. I do not use white flour, white sugar, and I do not eat white potatoes (haven't for years). I plan to begin an exercise program, slowly. :roll:

I started my periods when I was 9 years old, a good long 41 years ago. But they say you do not stop any sooner simply because you started young. I am ready for the mess and pain to go away, but I am not ready to give up what I consider a part of my youth.

Anyone else dealing with these types of feelings?
notreadyyet

Re: New Symptoms

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 am

I started having peri symptoms when I was 34 (I'm 38 now). My PMS is far more intense than it used to be. I have the night sweats, the itchy skin (that drives me batty!), my emotions are more... roller-coaster-y. My periods are out of whack (I used to be a every-28-days person, like clockwork! The moon followed MY cycle!). I have aches and pains, forgetfulness... I have around thirty of the thirty-five symptoms.

I know they say that when you start has no bearing on when you "end", but it would only make logical sense to what they tell us in fourth grade sex education. I recall being told that a woman is born with as many eggs as she will ever have (which is why later-in-life pregnancies are risky and difficult). And if that is the case, the sooner we start throwing out our eggs with our periods, you would logically assume we'd run out sooner. Does that mean those of us who started at nine (as I did as well) are born with substantially MORE eggs than someone who started their periods at fourteen?

My mother didn't start her own period till she was sixteen (imagine her shock at my starting at nine!). Her menopause was kickstarted by a hysterectomy at age thirty-eight (her symptoms started in her early to mid forties). So, we'll never know when she would have started if she had to wait for nature to take its course.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby notreadyyet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:40 am

Is it common for the night sweats to worsen right before the period starts, or is that anxiety? I cannot imagine being that anxious, though, even with the increased PMS. I never am during the day.
notreadyyet

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 pm

The anxiety and depression are some of the symptoms I don't have. My hot flashes/night sweats do get worse as my PMS gets going. My periods are sporatic now and that's one of the things I've learned to notice as a signal that I'll have one soon.

My mood swings and PMS problems seem to get worse if I'm under more stress than normal. (I say it that way because I live with a certain amount of stress on a daily basis).

Stress affects everything.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby notreadyyet » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Good point about the number of eggs that we start with. I had forgotten that we were taught that logic. Doesn't make sense now that we've had periods for 41 years!

My mother had a hysterectomy at 38 as well. She had severe night sweats and other problems a few years later. All that I can remember, because I was young and dumb, and menopause was foreign to me, was that she was on hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

I have had PMS all of my life, but it changed over the years. When I was younger I just felt ill, nauseus and achy all over. When I was in my 20's and 30's I would get depressed, sad, weepy, no body aches. Then I went on to a paranoia during PMS, anxious about things. I keep it under control. But the lack of sleeping and night sweats is pretty new, as well as the muscle and bone aches, and when it happens, it takes a while to recuperate. I feel better the night after I start my period, but it takes a while to get beyond the time frame where I lost sleep. Then, the big then :D , I think to myself, "I started...but what is it going to be like when I don't start. These symptoms are going to be there constantly because the hormones are no longer going to fluctuate with a cycle." Oh boy.

I am working on dealing with it both mentally and physically. Nothing in my life, as I said, has bothered me until this. I guess my biggest worry, I might as well blurt this out, is that someday it will affect my sex life. But shhh...my husband's drive isn't what mine is anyhow. 8) So perhaps all will be cool.
notreadyyet

Postby FilleFrançaise » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:49 am

Hello Notready,
You're doing some very good things to lessen your symptoms. I can only applaud you cutting out caffeine and all white carbs! It's helped me but tough to stick to.

The exercise will help, too. I've lost all of my energy in the past 3 months, where before I was the exercise Queen. Oh well... maybe it'll come back?

I don't think we are ever "ready" for this. I could have happily waited until I was dead.

Take heart and be well,
Fille :hello:
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause