deprived of sleep HELP!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

deprived of sleep HELP!

Postby kazy68 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:37 am

I'm so tired, on Friday evening i dindn't get much sleep about 4 hours, as a result on Saturday i was totaly wacked and didn't move out of the bedroom all day, didn't sleep at all just watched a bit of T.V and did nothing, i thought i would sleep that night i was exhausted, how wrong was i, i had a shower got some clean p.j's on went to bed watched a film and thought this is it i am bound to sleep, at 2.00am i was down stairs watching the snow fall yawning my head of but i could not go to sleep, my dear hubby got up with me and looked totaly shatterd but would not go to bed until i did, finaly at 4.30 we went up to bed, DH went straight of bless him, me i sat there watching news 24 and the snow out of the window,then i watched the clouds move over for the dawn chours of the birds, now i knew i would not drop off, finaly i looked at the clock and it was 6.45 and THEN i finaly dozed of, and i slept till 11.00 am this morning, i am still totaly wacked and feel out of it and need sleep badly i do seriously hope i can go to bed tonight and sleep, i mean sleep right through the night and not wake up at all untill 7.00am in the morning, hopefully i will as it is back to school tomorrow and i would hate Bradley to be late on his first day back, if anyone out there has any ideas on how to get a good night sleep PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Karen
xx
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Re: deprived of sleep HELP!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:59 am

Karen - you and me both! the last few weeks have been horrendous with lack of sleep for me...
my son (18) goes back tomorrow too...for his last ever term :shock: ...his A-Level term (have a 15 year old at home who we can't find the right school for too).
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby FilleFrançaise » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:27 pm

Oh Karen,
I hate not sleeping! It's got to be the worst problem ever. I've had insomnia/rough sleep for about 4 months. I'm drained.

My doctor gave me Magnesium supplements. I take 200 mg. morning and night (400 mg total). This seems to be helping. I'm crossing my fingers!!!

I've also read that calcium and Vit D supplements can help too. Haven't tried yet.

Try pushing yourself to exercise during the day (I know this is so hard when you're exhausted). Even walking would help. I'm not sure what else to suggest. If you find anything, let me know!

Take care and don't pull your hair out. Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Postby greeneyes83 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 pm

I'm having the same problem. It's gotten really bad in the last month or so. I can't sleep through the night, and I wake up about every 2 hours. Every morning I wake up at 6am and can't go back to sleep. I'm sooo tired. Also dealing with hot flashes for the 1st time. Is there anything I can do to lessen the hot flashes and get some sleep? I feel out of sorts too...very anxious (I've been diagnosed with GAD and it's worse now).
greeneyes83

Postby minniepauz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:23 pm

I can see right now we're going to have to create a "Sleep Lab" section of the forum. I will do that right away and then when you all post, try to give more detail about what kind of problems you're having (like greeneyes83 did) and also what have you tried? Do you take hormones.....I'm wondering if women on hormones are having the sleep problem?

I'll do some research and see what we can come up with.....sometimes it might be changing our habits, the type of sleepwear we use, other sleep aids (cool pillows, fans,) or maybe it's not being able to get to sleep vs staying asleep. As you can imagine there's more than one way this problem manifests itself!! Let's see if we can narrow things down a bit.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:35 pm

greeneyes83 wrote:[color=#408000]I'm having the same problem. It's gotten really bad in the last month or so...
this seems to be something we're all seeing, almost :shock: what is it...pre-Spring problems?
anxiety because of world news?
not being flippant but I've just read 3 or 4 posts (including mine) saying this has got worse recently...
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:37 pm

greeneyes83 wrote:(I've been diagnosed with GAD and it's worse now).[/color]
sorry, what's GAD?
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby greeneyes83 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi,

GAD stands for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
greeneyes83

Postby warminspringsun » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi

I find drinking a glass of milk at bedtime helps with getting to sleep. (has trytophan in it which is meant to help you get sleepy, so do bananas) I do wake up most nights in the night due to night sweats, but don't usually stay awake too long.

Warminspringsun x
Born 1961
surgically menopausal due to endometriosis
warminspringsun
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:50 pm

Warm....have you considered buy a set of the "wicking" sheets sets? I know the pj's work too, but they don't help with your feet, hands, arms and face where the sheets will. They're kind of expensive, but depending on how bad your nightsweats are it could be a great investment. I've even heard from women who's husbands have night sweats too so the sheets would be of benefit to both of you.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby isis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 pm

I think that the not able to sleep symptom is the worst part about menopause. It just stuffs everything up. Magnesium seems to work at alleviating the problem, I was taking it previously then stopped and began sleeping even less, I have since resumed and where as I still wake up about 5 times each night I am able to get back to sleep. I just brought some Celestial Sleepytime Tea so maybe that will help as well.

I have tried not drinking alcohol/coffee and that does not seem to make any difference. I've been going to the gym on a regular basis for the last 9 months so exercise does not help with my sleeping. I have also tried a course of acupunture.

At one stage I was thinking of getting some sleeping tablets but from what I have researched on the internet it does not seem to be advisable.
isis

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:45 am

I read somewhere that lettuce, maybe on bread and butter, can help induce natural sleep, - something in the lettuce...maybe it's magnesium, can't remember...
for magnesium I enjoy cashew nuts.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause