Periods re-started and I feel normal again!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Periods re-started and I feel normal again!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Tue May 13, 2008 2:10 am

I have spent about three years in a peri-menopausal yo-yo of spotting, flooding, weepy moments, grumpy moments, anxiety and the rest and then, in August of last year my periods finally stopped. Hooray!!! But the emotional symptoms kicked in worse ... lots of insomnia, worry, feelings of doom and gloom and indecision.
Anyway last month, after an eight-month gap, I had a period which really surprised me as I thought they were dead and gone away. OK, that's probably some kind of hiccup in the plumbing system, I thought. But now, exactly a month later, here I am again with another period! The weirdest thing is, though, that I feel very well and the emotional stuff just isn't there any more. In fact, I feel normal !!!
Now I can't explain why I had an eight-month gap nor why I am having periods again. It's too difficult for my pea-brain to try and get around. But whatever hormones have been sloshing around seem to have now settled down - my brain seems clearer, my logic and decisiveness have returned. Is this what oestrogen does for you? If so, then I would might consider getting HRT because this, to me, is a conclusive proof that my hormones have been really messing with my head as well as my body!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Re: Periods re-started and I feel normal again!

Postby minniepauz » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 am

Hey gorgeous, you are definitely the poster child for peri-menopause! And I would say you might cause several others to also consider some low dosage hrt because yes, that's the effect of having enough estrogen in your body that you've once again found some hormonal balance. Not to say it will STAY that way, but this is the fluctuation we've been trying to warn women about. Thank you so much for continuing to share with us!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby nethnee » Tue May 13, 2008 10:22 am

hi the very same thing just happened to me I hadnt had a period for nine months but I noticed in the last 2 weeks that i started to feel better aand the hot flushes had dissapeared and I was getting a good nights sleep again.I thought I was finshed with periods and was thrilled with myself gut I got my period again this morning :cry: . but what worries me is ''does this mean that the hot flushes start all over again ? am i back to square 1?''.I am 47 years old alot of people tell me I am a bit young to be going through the change of life. My mom died when she was 51 she had a hysterectomy when she was 36 so I never saw her go through it and I have no one to compare myself with as I am the eldest of 4 sisters.I just found this site and am delighted to be able to read about other peoples experiences. :wink:
nethnee

Postby minniepauz » Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 am

Welcome nethnee....we're happy you found us. :) You will most likely have hot flashes again when you stop producing enough estrogen and your hormones start fluctuating again. I think the hardest thing for us women to understand is that this doesn't all happen as a step-by-step, smooth process. That's why we call it a roller coaster and to make it even muddier, look at all the types of roller coasters there are in the world. None of them follow exactly the same pattern either. :(

I think it helps (a little, anyway) to know that there are many possibilities on the path to Post Menopause. Just expect the unexpected and don't get your hopes up too high at the first sign of "change". Could be a long, long road ahead!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby nethnee » Tue May 13, 2008 4:02 pm

thanks for the lovely welcome dee :D lets hope this rollercoaster doesnt get too scarry :roll:
but I do know what you mean by the ups and downs of a rollercoaster.Lets hope we all enjoy the ride :bouncy:
nethnee

Postby snoopy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:36 pm

That is great. I however would think gee after going that long without one I would be done for good!! :D
I want to weigh what I used to weigh back when I thought I WAS FAT!
snoopy
Combustible

Whoops, have my periods stopped again?

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:14 am

Hmmm, I thought it was too good to last! After writing my original post, that my periods had returned after an eight month gap and I felt normal again, I have started to have the hot flushes again! And I haven't had a period for two weeks, now. So I am late, or have I re-started this hormonal yo-yo? :dontknow: Oh brilliant, going through all this again is really something to start looking forward to (NOT !!!)
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 am

That IS a really long time, Gorgeous....any of us would have thought it was the end. I only hope that period you just had WAS your last one ever!!

It's times like this when I think it would have been interesting to have known what your oestrogen levels were 8 mo. ago compared to now. A lot of doctors won't do the test when someone first begins having symptoms, but my theory is that we could learn so much if more women had a baseline reading and then another 6mo later and then at 12 mo.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby kazy68 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi ya ladies,
My GP refuses to do a test for my hormones he says they are a waste of time and there is no point, should i push for a test or just leave things the way they are im not sure what to ask for. :roll:
Karen
x
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:13 pm

I would tell the doc that you understand that the tests are not conclusive at this time, but a year from now it would be interesting to compare the results. Say that you are aware of how your hormones are going to fluctuate and it will help to know how far along you are. If you have no baseline then you don't know how far you've gone. That would be my interest anyway. :)

You could ask Dr. Judy if she can find any benefit whatsoever in getting these tests done (at least once a year). Seems it would give researchers a lot more information as to what is going on with women in general.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby kazy68 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 am

Thanks Dee,
I never thought of it that way, it would be so interestin to compare the results, i will make an appt to see my GP and i will let you know what he says, thanks for your help and advice i can always count on you for a quick answer :D :D :D
Karen
x
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby ladydebubba » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:17 am

I know one thing, since early February my periods have been coming just under or over 8 weeks apart. And have been light the entire time. Even at the halfway point they were not heavy. But this one here that was late also, but around 6 weeks after the last one showed up last night and with a vengeance. I usually do not start off heavy but this one has and I felt awful last night. I guess this is all part of it. The past several I have not even had so much as a cramp but last night I was really cramping.

And of course I had another followup pap smear Friday to check my cervix again. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it starting off so bad. Hopefully not. I know I have felt really bloated for several weeks this time around and hope it was due to that problem. I cannot stand cramps though. I am now in day 10 of this period. Lovely. Just what I want, an extended period. And the irritating sensations down below are still present. This stuff bugs me and irritates me. :banghead:
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby mid40 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:55 pm

:shock: very interesting thread! after over 6 mo. w/o a period- major sleeplessness & hot flashes & foggy thinking, depression, etc- i've had periods for the last 3 months and feel 100% BETTER and back to my old self!!!i'm 46 & 1/2. ahhh, the change of life.... cheers. :mrgreen:
mid40
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:20 am

Mid40....you're in peri-menopause, which means your hormones start fluctuating and your body starts producing less estrogen......that is where the hotflashes and other symptoms come in. Then things swing back and maybe you produce more estrogen, enough to have a period and your symptoms subside. Each "shift" might produce more symptoms for a longer time, less periods until you have no more. When you go for a year without a period, you would be post-menopausal. You might still have symptoms though.....there's just no cut and dried way to go through this Ladies :yuck:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:16 pm

So when I have a period every two months that results in a period I have produced enough estrogen huh. Well, I have too much estrogen this time because this period is like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going, day 18 now and me on Provera to try and get myself straightened back out. I have very heated feelings down below and the bleeding makes it's moderate to heavy appearance usually everyday, only one day did I see nothing on the sanitary napkin. Is this still breakthrough bleeding I'm having from the Provera, tonight's dose will be pill #7 out of 10. I wonder if my body is trying to rid itself of all the extra endometrial lining that built up on my uterus between the two month time frame between periods but this last one showed up at closer to just 6 weeks after the previous one, not 8 or 9 weeks. My urine did test positive also for a UTI.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause