Is This It???

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Is This It???

Postby TimeInMyHands » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi ladies! I haven't checked this site for awhile now and I do apologise! Life got hectic, busy and I just haven't had much time but I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with!

So, I have not had a period since May 14th and I am wondering if I am finally done...is this it for me? Is there any way to tell or do I just have to "play it by ear", wait and see? (*I have had sporatic periods for years now but never gone this long without one.)
I seem to have something like "phantom periods" though...where I have all the symptoms (anxiety and cramping being the most noteable!) but no bleeding whatsoever! I also suffer from IBS/Diverticulosis and even though I am not having a period, I get really bad flare-ups during the time when I should be. (*I have an apt. with my Gastro DR next week to look into this problem)

The hot flashes aren't real bad and I seem to only have them at night when I'm sleeping causing me to toss and turn, throw sheets off, back on...I'm sure you know the drill, LOL! :lol:
The mood changes though are very noticeable and most of the time I feel like I could rip the head off a bunny!!

What do you think? Am I done...finally??
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Re: Is This It???

Postby minniepauz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:13 pm

You have a ways to go before you are "done". You have to go 12 months in a row with no period (including spotting) and then you would be considered post menopausal. If you've had any spotting during that time, you should really start counting over again. We're all so different, there's just no defined, absolute date that says you'll never have a period again and that it's impossible to get pregnant....unless you've been totally clear for 12 months.

I'm concerned that you thought you might be done after 3 mo. of no periods. This means that some women are not getting the information they need. I'm just curious about how you came to that conclusion? I don't remember your age or other circumstances of your health, so fill me in if you get a chance. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Is This It???

Postby TimeInMyHands » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks for the quick reply Minnie! :D
Yes, I kind of figured that might be the way it is, but thought I would throw it out there anyway, LOL!

I am 45 and no, I do not feel my GYN has been giving me enough info on the topic...in fact, I almost "fired her" awhile back but decided to give her another chance. I live in a small town and good (female) GYN's are hard to come by!
I plan to be more proactive at our next apt and let her know that I NEED INFO and ideas on how to get through this! :)

Other than the IBS/Diverticulosis I was diagnosed with in Dec.'07, I am generally in good health, exercise daily and try to eat a good diet. Still working on the stress though! :roll:
Oh, and I had the tubes tied in 2001 so we don't have to worry about getting preggo! LOL! :wink: Thank goodness!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me." ~Erma Bombeck~
TimeInMyHands
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause