Brighid Discovers the Endocrine System!

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Brighid Discovers the Endocrine System!

Postby Brighid Moon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm

[quote]Thyroid health
A natural approach to hypothyroidism can work wonders

Okay so! Imbalance of Estrogen + Stress = Anxiety/Panic = Cortisol Explosion = Adrenal Fatigue = Hypothyroid = Stress/Anxiety/Panic = Cortisol Explosion = etc. etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

I have no idea if this has been discussed before (probably has been), but I was researching due to my own issues with panic attacks, and the EMT said to have my thyroid checked, and I thought "Hm, connection?" - so now I know what to do. :D

Edited by Dee Adams: I have to remind members that you cannot copy and paste articles from other sites due to copyright laws so I have removed the article that was posted here and left only the link.
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Re: Brighid Discovers the Endocrine System!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Wow...freaky!! I just posted on your other post to suggest having your adrenals checked too. See, this is why it's good for women to talk to each other. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Brighid Moon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 pm

LOL Yeah! I caught that! :D

My friend is taking me in for my blood tests on Thursday, then I'll reschedule with my gyn (I was too exhausted today and needed to take a break so I cancelled). In the tests she has it so I'm being tested for this, though I didn't know that until this morning, rereading the blood work order. LOL She's so good, she's way ahead of me! :D :thumbsup:
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby Brighid Moon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Hooray for me! It actually works to sit there and just remind yourself that it's all just chemical "drug" reactions in your body - so you may as well sit back and "enjoy the ride"! I got through my first full-blown panic attack by myself, without help and without paramedics! :bouncy: :bouncy: "A bit shaky but still on our feet!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:25 am

I've been dealing with hypothyroidism since I was 18 years old. And its one of my key points next week at a doctor appointment.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby RacerWife7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:33 am

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 22 (actually, I'm Hashimoto's). MY question has always been, do women who are ALREADY hypothyroid tend to go into perimenopause EARLIER? I MY mind, it stands to reason that if their hormonal system is already out of kilter because of thyroid, wouldn't it make sense that the other hormones that work with thyroid get out of whack fairly easily? I have never been able to find ANY studies on this. So, if anyone has any insight into this, I'd surely appreciate it.

WTG, Brighid getting through your panic attack on your own!! WOO-HOOOOO!!! :D
~ Janet, age 45 (46 in March 2011)
Mom of 2 young boys / Wife of a Saturday night racecar driver / former country line dance instructor/choreographer
Hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), Peri
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby craftyvalerie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:27 am

way to go girl!!....you got through it on your own!........I am wondering how the adrenals are tested .....is it just a blood test and why isnt it done for screening for us suffers?........
craftyvalerie
Combustible

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:03 am

RacerWife7 wrote:I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 22 (actually, I'm Hashimoto's). MY question has always been, do women who are ALREADY hypothyroid tend to go into perimenopause EARLIER? I MY mind, it stands to reason that if their hormonal system is already out of kilter because of thyroid, wouldn't it make sense that the other hormones that work with thyroid get out of whack fairly easily? I have never been able to find ANY studies on this. So, if anyone has any insight into this, I'd surely appreciate it.

WTG, Brighid getting through your panic attack on your own!! WOO-HOOOOO!!! :D

I started having noticable peri symptoms at 34 years of age. I started having my period at age nine though. I've had a doctor tell me that when you start has no bearing on when you "finish", but everything I was taught in sex ed and health class was that women are born with as many eggs as they'll ever have. So it just seems reasonable if you start expelling your eggs at a younger age, you'd get through them at a younger age. I was twenty-five when I skipped a period for no reason (no stress, no illness, just skipped one).

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby RacerWife7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:19 am

That makes perfect sense to me, too, psexypsychic!! Why do these totally logical things seem so outrageous to the "professionals"??? I just don't get it.
~ Janet, age 45 (46 in March 2011)
Mom of 2 young boys / Wife of a Saturday night racecar driver / former country line dance instructor/choreographer
Hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), Peri
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks, guys!

craftyvalerie wrote:I am wondering how the adrenals are tested .....is it just a blood test and why isnt it done for screening for us suffers?........

It's a blood test you do first thing in the morning after a fast (only water allowed). Annoying. I didn't get to it this morning, either. Ah well, always another day.

And yeah, it makes total sense that if these endocrine systems are so interrelated that it might affect early perimenopause to already have an imbalance. Also with the egg-loss thing! But I'm no doctor, I would just guess! :wink: :P Maybe something Dr. Judy would know?
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby craftyvalerie » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:58 pm

What is a normal T-4 LEVEL?.....my T4 was 1.6........tsh 1.4.......when I asked my doctor about results...she said dont worry about it :banghead: .......I have thought from the beginning of all my problems that it was thyroid related.....
craftyvalerie
Combustible

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm

RacerWife7 wrote:That makes perfect sense to me, too, psexypsychic!! Why do these totally logical things seem so outrageous to the "professionals"??? I just don't get it.

My "professionals" are usually students because I go to the VA Hospital. The doctors look like my kids!

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:40 am

This might help (certainly more than your doctor) :(

http://www.endocrineweb.com/tests.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Jann » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 am

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroism about 4 years ago at age 45. I have since gone into remission and was told I would go hypothyroid eventually as my thyroid "burnt" itself out. I also felt this was the beginning of my menopausal symptoms as my hormones were all out of wack. The weight gain is driving me crazy as I was always able to control my weight before my diagnosis. Actually the only good thing about Hyperthyroidism was the rapid weight loss, but I have now regained it all and then some. :x
Jann

Postby Brighid Moon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:03 pm

:mrgreen: Finally was able to get to the doctor's and get my results back! No hypothyroid! (Nor hyper-!) All my blood-work came back just swimmingly - with even my cholesterol barely over what it should be (he said just walking would lower it). So now I don't have that to worry about/blame for what's happening. That's a relief!
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause