long period for the first time...at 45.

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

long period for the first time...at 45.

Postby tata » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi all, just joined today! I have been on my period now for 11 days!!! This has NEVER happened before. I do not have hot flashes, other symptoms include: depression, anxiety, extreme tiredness, just completely out of sorts :? . I am 45 years old, started my period when I was 12. Pre-meopause?????? That thought never even entered my mind..... :banghead: Feel so fatiqued and unsocial......I hate to even leave the house :baghead: . Would appreciate any advice.
tata

Re: long period for the first time...at 45.

Postby minniepauz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:21 am

Welcome tata....my periods stopped when I was 41 and many others here started having irregular periods in their 30's. We women all run the gamut of stories for sure. Most likely you have started peri or pre-menopause. If you look at the symptoms page, it says :

If you have two or more of the following symptoms, it COULD be the onset of peri-menopause. Many of the symptoms could indicate other problems too (such as thyroid), so it would be a good idea to make note of what you are experiencing and see your healthcare professional, who can then help you determine the best course of action for you personally. And remember, some of these are normal effects of the aging process where the only treatment is acceptance and taking good care of yourself! (this is where the laughter comes in handy!)

Just to calm your fears..... Peri-menopause (before menopause) is when you start noticing something is a little "off", (usually with your periods) or maybe it seems like you're more irritable than usual. Everyone has different symptoms at different times (and at different ages) so it's really hard to determine exactly when you started into the peri-menopause phase, but when you can start putting 2 or 3 or more of these symptoms together and they're hanging around for more than a month, it's pretty safe to assume that you are starting the process of change that every woman will go through in her lifetime. This is why it's a great idea to make notes on a calendar of anything that seems out of the norm for you.

Welcome to our world and don't worry.....soon you will understand the process. You probably won't LIKE it, but you'll understand it. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: long period for the first time...at 45.

Postby tata » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:39 am

Thank you Minnie!! I really appreciate this board and your help.
tata

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause