"Women's Health"... what does that mean to you?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

"Women's Health"... what does that mean to you?

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Over five years ago, the veteran's hospital informed me that I would be switching "clinics". The VA hospitals do things by "team"- and your Social Security number (specifically, your last four digits) determine what team you're on. My spouse is on the "Gold Team", my dad is on the "Diamond Team" and up till then, I was on the "Ruby Team". It doesn't mean anything other than for catagorization purposes.

So, they tell me, "Women's Health Clinic" is where all my appointments will be happening from now on. That was also the year I started having undeniable symptoms of peri-menopause. Of course, I didn't know it had a name, I just assumed I was going through menopause early- just as I've done everything in my life early.

Today, I got a call from the VA hospital. They've scheduled an appointment for me on November 10... with the gynocologist. What the hell? All these years I've been complaining about peri symptoms (and if I had to list them, it would be nearly the whole list). "Women's Health Clinic" implies to me that they're taking care of my FEMALE health needs!

I guess not... and after having bi-yearly (and sometimes more) clinic visits for five years- and me complaining EVERY time and asking for a hysterectomy EVERY time... they FINALLY decided to send me to the gynocologist.

I was considering telling them that I was pursuing my menopause issues with a civilian doctor- but ONLY my meno issues... that way I could have my daughters' gyno (who we LOVE) and she'd help me.

Well, I suppose we'll just see what happens on November 10th. I wonder how young this child-doctor will be who sees me on that day. :roll:

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Re: "Women's Health"... what does that mean to you?

Postby RacerWife7 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 pm

UGH! How frustrating! I'd think the same thing - that they're finally taking your female issues into consideration. :roll: ...You must feel like this: :banghead:
~ Janet, age 45 (46 in March 2011)
Mom of 2 young boys / Wife of a Saturday night racecar driver / former country line dance instructor/choreographer
Hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), Peri
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby psexypsychic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 pm

I wrote a blog about my appointment today.

It just never ends...

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:27 pm

The doctor called with my test results. I don't have cancer or any "abnormal cells that could lead to cancer".

Now I've got an ultrasound on November 24th and a follow-up appointment two weeks later.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:26 am

Great news, Patty!!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:38 am

I ALWAYS really enjoy your posts, Sexyp............ you have a unique ability to take a "sore subject" and somehow find a way to lighten it! I love that about your posts! I wanted to comment on your blog. First on the fat issues. Geeezz.... who hasn't had some weight or body issues. Most Doctors I have kmown always use "fat" as the reason a person migh not feel good. (and I guess rightfully so many times.....) My partner at work is very heavy and when he goes to the doctor for a cold..... they tell him he is too "fat" LOL... tell him something he doesn't know. I have ALWAY had weight issues myself. I was a fat kid... a fat teen ( and by that I mean 250 lbs. in middle school) a thin teen (lost 135 lbs in high school) a thin young,married woman who turned really fat (330 lbs.) during the course of a very bad marriage....... back to a very thin 35 year old divorced (finally) woman, losing 209 lbs....... to finally a 50 year old woman, trying to find her way and oh yeah, carrying around 20 extra pounds around her middle. It has been difficult having a decent body image..... when I can't seem to keep the same body long enough. This is a subject I could talk about for hours. (but I won't :mrgreen: ) I have a very compassionate place in my heart for people with weight problems. Having walked in those same shoes many times..... I know the pain of "the looks", "the judgements" the "Oh, you have such a pretty face" On the flip side of the issue..... when I was very heavy during my first marriage I only had 2-3 periods a year. During my divorce I lost the 210 pounds and by the next year I was having regular (and I mean like clock work) periods! Now.... I had been divorced also, which lifted a HUGH amount of stress from my life. Was it that my body was working better because of the weight lose OR because my life was much, much better? Who knows......... It does always crack me up when people used to tell me I needed to lose weight.... I liked to act shocked.... Like I hadn't a clue.
Anyways...... my next comment and I will make it brief.... is about your chihuaua story. I loved it!! We have 2 golden retrievers (good dogs) but after my mom died several years ago..... I saw a little guy (chi dog) in the pet store who stole my heart. I wanted him and oh, the arguing began between me and my husband. He WOULD NOT have that dog... it was a sissy dog ... and so on and so on. Long story short... I got the little guy, Sam, and you CANNOT chisle the two of them apart. He is the best dog ever!!!!!! Anyways.... thanks for your posts... the were very enjoyable to read and REALLY hit home with me!! :flower:
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks, Kris.

What gets me about the doctor telling me its because I'm fat is that all this started BEFORE the fat came on. And the reason the fat came was because of all this. Its ridiculous. I have my ultrasound scheduled for Monday, November 24th and just got the letter today to "call and schedule your follow-up" because they don't do it automatically anymore.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 pm

I updated my blog last week about the ultrasound fiasco. I got a call yesterday that I now have an appointment scheduled on December 17 to have another test and then have the Mirena IUD inserted.

Overall, I'm not happy with this... but I'm doing it because I want to feel human again. I just hope it freakin' works.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Good luck, kiddo...I'll keep you in my thoughts. This just might be the answer!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:56 pm

I updated my blog about my doctor appointment. Go ahead and read it if you want.

I sure help they're right about this and it works.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 am

Yesterday I was informed by my 'not womens health' doctor that I have a Vitamin D deficiency. They sent a supplement that I have to take three times a week. Then they'll follow up with more tests in about a month.

:banghead:

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:42 am

It's good that they found SOMETHING!! and the Vit D is really important. I'm taking 4000 IU of Vit D3 per day to help my psoriasis (along with fish oil and flax seed oil). Are you taking any other supplements at all?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:45 pm

I only take what my doctors tell me to because of the possible interactions with the plethora of medications I take. Till this (Ergocalciferol VITd2- which I cannot pronounce) new drug, I was never told to take anything. I've asked before if I should take a daily women's vitamin and was only told: "If you want to, it would be okay, but... *shrug*" I don't drink milk very often, but I do eat yogurt and cheese (at least two tablespoons of cheese a day, usually mixed with a salad). So I always thought I was getting plenty of calcium.

What I take daily:

prescriptions:
Levothyroxine
Lisinipril
Hydrochlorothyazadide
Gemfibrozil (gembibrosil?)
Twisthaler
*other* asthma inhaler (can't remember the name and its in the kitchen right now)
And I have an albuterol inhaler for emergencies that I rarely use because my asthma is well-maintained by those two inhalers (together, they do was Advair does).

OTC:
Prilosec
Loratadine (both of which used to be prescribed to me by the doctor but I can't get now because its available over-the-counter)
Extra strength Acetaminophen (which doesn't really work)

And now, three times a week, I take that Ergocaciferol... I took my first dose last night and I'm not as exhausted as I usually am. So, I figured, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I'll take those...

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby psexypsychic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 am

I'm not sure if the Vitamin D stuff is working... but I'm taking it 3 times a week.

Finally, some good news on the horizon... I saw an orthopedic surgeon yesterday. I have the knees of someone much older than my age and I'm a candidate for total knee replacement.

I blogged in detail- "We've exhausted all other options..." and it only took three years.

*~my MySpace~*

psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:23 am

Finally, huh? Good luck with all of that!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause