Can this really be this debilitating?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Can this really be this debilitating?

Postby Brighid Moon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Just what the topic says. It's kind of a whine. I'm trying hard to not let this menopause get to me, but the symptoms, especially around period-time, are so debilitating that I can't even get out of bed some days. Is this normal? All my medical tests came back okay! I don't get it! :freaking: :cry2:
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Re: Can this really be this debilitating?

Postby gracious granny » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:39 am

Hi Brighid,

I don't know exactly where you are on the hormonal roller coaster, but if you are in peri-menopause I think that stage was 10 times worse than when actual menopause happened.
Seriously!!! The horendous PMS, that sometimes lasted for 2 weeks :yuck:
I compared it to a summer thunderstorm, you know the kind where the thunder/lightening/wind will be horrendous and seem to go on forever but when the rain (or the actual period ) comes its like drip, drop, nothing. Hated that. :x Then there was the terrible fatigue, and not to mention the emotional instability, OH! and the constant crying.
Yep, menopause has definitely been easier I think. G.G.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:48 am

Oh, God, I hope you're right Granny! I am in peri-, and I still have periods! (And 27 out of 35 symptoms!) I wish they'd just spot! LOL That'd make this at least worth it, but no, I get the opposite. :yuck: I think what makes it feel worse (though I tell myself it has to end someday!) is not knowing when it's going to end. I take comfort in your words and the hope that when it finally does end at least things will be better! But I never thought I'd be this debilitated, even a few months ago. I read somewhere that the harder it is the shorter is lasts or something? But I'm terrified of believing it! LOL I don't want to set myself up! Oh, but I do hope they're right, too! I tell you what, though, being here with this support has really helped me in adjusting to this time of my life and understanding what's going on and hopefully what to expect! :D
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:06 am

Oh, I had my WHOPPER periods too, Brighid, but that was just it. You never knew what to expect. I'd say My peri lasted about 5 years with the last 2 years being the worse. By the time I got through that, actual menopause was a non-event. Now I know thats not the case for everyone but it was for me. Hang in there.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:54 am

Thanks Granny. LOL I have no choice but to hang in! It has to end somday, right? I keep reading it lasts from 5-8 years normally. I wonder if I count from when I first started getting the panic attacks (out of the blue), which is at the same time I started growing my first (godsforsaken!) facial hair? (My tweezers sit beside me all the time, and I have extra in my purse! LOL!) If that's the case, then I began at 38! That might mean I'm almost over this last huge hurdle! This would be my fifth year, if that counted, instead of my almost third! Oh, I hope it's true! I just keep holding on to that hope!
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause