Supplements

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Supplements

Postby jennykerty » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

I had an appointment at the Midlife Center at our local women's hospital.
I had a hysterectomy a few years ago (kept ovaries) so I don't have bleeding to gauge whether my periods are becoming irreguar--I wanted to confirm that I was having permenopausal symptoms--not going nuts....

The doctor said she was the exact same age as me (47) and she said she has the exact same symptoms as I do...She confirmed that they are definitely caused by perimenopause: Anxiety and (mild) depression that comes and goes from one day to the next (sometimes even within the same day), loss of libido, itchiness, gassiness. I also have scalp acne, which she says is caused by hormones. I get occasional migraines. and about a year ago, I swear a bug crawled up my leg--enough so, that I went directly to the bathroom to check--of course nothing was there--but i had the feeling of crawling skin (only on my thighs) for at least a month--never had it since though....

A few interesting things came out of it:

1. I learned that what your mom and sisters went thru is a good indicator of how you might feel during this time. (Not absolute but can be a good indicator.)

2. If you are really having alot of trouble, there is help out there for you. Pretty much all of the symptoms can be treated. She and I discussed a mild anti depressant or use of St. John's wort--although she thinks I have a touch of seasonal affective disorder and we'll see if it works itself out.

3. I was sproradically taking supplements. She gave me a list of supplements to take(which also could help with mood swings). I was shocked by how many/much:

Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D(all in one pill) 2x daily
Fish Oil 2x daily
Multivitamin 1x day
Vitamin D (1000 mg) 1x day

4. Also, since my hormones are fluctuating so much from day to day, and from morning to afternoon sometimes--testing is not that helpful at this point....

So I am going to go tonight and get all the supplements and work up to the full dosages she prescribed-probably over a week or two.
I have to agree with alot of you, it is bewildering and scary how I feel sometimes--but this site helps alot.

Jenny
jennykerty
Warm Pauzer

Re: Supplements

Postby minniepauz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks Jenny, very good post. I believe more and more doctors are "getting it" when it comes to recommending an alternative for those that don't want to take hormones. I've been taking almost the same combination of supplements you listed and the one thing I would say is to try to get as many as you can in gel caps or liquid form (yes, even the cal/mag/VD). I still don't believe the pills (multivitamin and calcium) disolve fast enough to do our bodies much good before being eliminated, especially those of us who pee more frequently.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause