Hot Flushes Starting In Strange Places

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Hot Flushes Starting In Strange Places

Postby MaryH » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Hello -

I am 51 years old and have had very regular periods for the past 6 years or so. Prior to that I never knew when I was going to start. I have tracked the length of my cycles and they are shortening (from 35 to 30 days over the years). This past month was the first irradic cycle. I had a period that lasted 2 days (normally I go three) then a week later I started light spotting (without the normal cramps). That cycle was 47 days.

I feel I have been in peri-menopause for years. My PMS has worsened, my periods have shortened (from a week to 3 days), and as I said, my cycles have gradually shortened. My sex drive is fine. My waistline is a huge battle now. My skin has changed, much less supple. My hair is definitely going gray. And insomnia, especially the week prior to my period, is a big problem, along with joint aches. It all sounds fairly normal to me up to this point.

What I am newly experiencing are hot spots, crazy as that sounds, I cannot describe it any better. Today I felt hot behind the upper arms, above the elbows. No pain or faintness is involved. When I felt the hot spots come on I did get flushed, a light sweat, not terribly so. Are these normal symptoms for the beginning of hot flushes? From what I have read here the symptoms can (and do) vary from person to person. I had another feeling of warmth later in the day, below my neck, but not in my chest. Again, it was not severe. It felt like the temperature in that region had suddenly increased! I have woke to hot sweats from time to time, but I have attributed that to anxiety (which has also been on the increase). PMS starts approximately 15 days prior to my period start date. Any thoughts?
Mary H.
MaryH

Re: Hot Flushes Starting In Strange Places

Postby MaryH » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 am

After reading through your board, I realize my symptoms are very mild in comparison! I hope someone comes forward, though, and says, yes, I have experienced something like that! The Big M world is quiet. :)
Mary H.
MaryH

Re: Hot Flushes Starting In Strange Places

Postby psexypsychic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:38 am

I've been having hot flashes since I was 34 (I'll be 40 in a few weeks) and I can't remember what they felt like before they were these full-blown sweat attacks. I rarely have the dizzy/fainting kind of hot flash (maybe a handful of times in comparison). But I do remember when they weren't quite as intense. I don't remember details, though, like how they started or how I felt then. (I know this probably wasn't much help!)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause