New here, need advise.....

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postby Skylark » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:42 pm

Hi, Just found this site yesterday.
I'm 53, and had my last period in April, or so I thought....... started spotting a little yesterday and now looks like it is my period.
A couple of years ago I had really heavy bleeding & clotting, Dr. did endometrial biopsies and it showed that I had hyperplasia (no atypia)
Put on Provera for 6 months and more biopsies showed the hyperplasia had gone. Pap results have been normal since, last pap done in April 04.
I really thought I had seen the last of my periods......
Sorry it is so long, can the Dr. do an exam while I'm bleeding?
Skylark

Postby purple haze » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:05 am

I don't have an answer to your question, but I went through a time when I too thought this is the end and wham it was back.
Take care.
purple is my color,
a hippie mama to a hippie mama
granny nanny to 4
purple haze
One HOT Woman!

Postby Skylark » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply Crittermom, appreciate it!
Will make an appointment for next week with Dr. see what is going on.
It is nice to know I'm not alone.
Thanks
Skylark

Postby drjudy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:32 am

Dear Skylark,

Sounds like perimenopause--periods disappear, you adjust to the rest of your life free from bleeding, then wham there it is again. It's important, however, in your situation to make sure that you do not have the hyperplasia again. Your doctor can check this out even when you're bleeding. He/she may suggest you go back on cycled progesterone whether or not you again have hyperplasia just to avoid that possibility in the future.

Perimenopause is a time marked by variable supplies of estrogen, sometimes the levels are quite high, and no progesterone. This hormonal mismatch is the reason that hyperplasia develops.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause