Have rules changed with Menopause?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Have rules changed with Menopause?

Postby mothermercury » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:43 am

I'm new gang! I'm 54. Thought I had all this perimenopause/menopause stuff figured out until my FSH results came back. Doctor said I was Post-Menopausal. (score of 79) WHAT?!?!? I thought I was still in perimenopause. Have the rules of menopause changed? I thought one had to go 12 months without a period to be considered menopausal at all. Went 8 months without a period then had 2 in July/ 25 days appart. Seemed like natural periods. Haven't had anything since. Will need an ultrasound and possible biopsy of the uterus if I start up again he said. With the need of cystocle surgery coming up, I'm going to go ahead and consult a regular gyno. and see what she thinks I should do. If my uterus is going to have to come out, might as well do it all at once.
Have any of you been through this or had a uterus biopsy? I'm wondering what to expect. Are the ovaries checked at the same time? My pap just came back and it was good.
Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
mothermercury

Re: Have rules changed with Menopause?

Postby menopaused » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm

The rules haven't changed according to all of the experts on menopause. You have to go 12 months without a period before officially reaching menopause. I'm glad that you are going to see a gynecologist. The biopsy and other tests will hopefully rule out any uterine problems. I haven't had this done so can't give you any help on that.
To your health and happiness
www.menopause-symptoms-revealed.com
menopaused

Re: Have rules changed with Menopause?

Postby minniepauz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:15 am

mothermercury wrote:I'm new gang! I'm 54. Thought I had all this perimenopause/menopause stuff figured out until my FSH results came back. Doctor said I was Post-Menopausal. (score of 79) WHAT?!?!? I thought I was still in perimenopause. Have the rules of menopause changed? I thought one had to go 12 months without a period to be considered menopausal at all. Went 8 months without a period then had 2 in July/ 25 days appart. Seemed like natural periods. Haven't had anything since. Will need an ultrasound and possible biopsy of the uterus if I start up again he said. With the need of cystocle surgery coming up, I'm going to go ahead and consult a regular gyno. and see what she thinks I should do. If my uterus is going to have to come out, might as well do it all at once.
Have any of you been through this or had a uterus biopsy? I'm wondering what to expect. Are the ovaries checked at the same time? My pap just came back and it was good.
Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

I had the biopsy and it's somewhat uncomfortable but if you take a couple of ibuprophen (or whatever you normally use for pain/headache) it will help. It's nice to have a friend with you too, just in case you feel a bit weak or dizzy after the procedure. The ultrasound will show if there are any cysts or other masses on your ovaries I think. It's good that you will get a second opinion too! Best of luck with all this and let us know how it turns out. Sorry I'm responding so late! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause