What is the goal during peri?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What is the goal during peri?

Postby Coping » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:22 pm

My confusion is what am I working toward? Feeling better all the time, most of the time? I have done the doctor route (have a GP and a GYN) and can't say it was rewarding although I am now on low dose birth control pills, Paxil CR, and blood pressure medicine.

Medically speaking, will we ever be symptom free or is the goal for each of us to get our symptoms to a level we (individually) can tolerate and function under?
Coping
Hot Pauzer

Postby drjudy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:38 pm

Dear Coping,

You got right to the heart of the matter with your qto get our symptoms to a level we (individually) can tolerate and function underuestion, one that I always encourage women to consider.

I think there are two goals to perimenopausal healthcare. The first is to evaluate symptoms in light of how much they interfere with normal life, and to seek therapy that does just what you said: "to get our symptoms to a level we (individually) can tolerate and function under." Some women may become symptom free, others may just look for a decent night's sleep, moderate energy, and a mood doesn't alienate those nearest and dearest on a daily basis.

The other goal is to evaluate health risks in light of our current state of health and family history, screen for risk chronic and somewhat preventable diseases such as heart disease and osteoporosis, and adjust medications (such as blood pressure drugs) and health habits to optimize our chances to stay well and independent for years past menopause.

I hope your current meds. and current team, while less than perfect, will meet those goals for you.

Thanks for bringing up a great subject for consideration!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:44 am

Here's my take on what we're shooting for (as women):

For those of us in some stage of hormonal change, we are constantly searching for BALANCE in our lives.

I want to offer you some of the ways I've managed to find my balance this past year and my goals for the new year. I certainly don't have all the answers, but feel a responsibility to share my discoveries with you and hope that some of my comments will help in some small way to make your life a little happier, easier, more organized and together.

1. Reasses priorities.... things have changed in our lives and we need to make US a priority!

2. Don't look back..... let go of the past. We made our mistakes and we've lived with them and punished ourselves long enough.

3. Express your true feelings...... stand up for yourself and your beliefs. Try not to worry if someone will get mad at you for saying what you need to say or doing what you need to do!

4. Pick a focus, any focus....... it's a matter of getting organized and not letting anything change your course of action until you are ready to change.

5. Reach out for help when you need it...... whether it's a book of inspiration, an appointment with a therapist, or a business coach, just DO IT! You'll be glad you did!

6. Be grateful....... there's ALWAYS someone who is worse off than you are. Finding something to be grateful for will help you appreciate where you are and how fortunate you really are.

7. Share what you know....... the internet has been one of the best sources of comfort, information and support for women who feel they are alone and losing their minds! Every time you share your story, you help someone else!

8. Laugh, laugh, laugh...... need I say more?

Zero

Thanks!

Postby Coping » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:24 am

Thank you both for your reply! I have been a faithful visitor to the website. Everyday it is very comforting to read questions and stories that sound so familiar. It is half the battle to know we are not alone!
Coping
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause