weird symptoms?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

weird symptoms?

Postby Canuck Di » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:00 pm

:(

I am either having panic attacks, hypoglycemia or menopause. Do any of you exper. hot sweaty then cold clammy, lightheaded (like I'm going to faint) fast heart beat, even at night when I'm trying to sleep? How does one know if it's menopause or one of the above? I am 51, (hysterectomy, so it's hard to tell what's going on! ) What natural remedies are there out there if I am in the minniepauz?? Hope to hear from someone soon! I think I'm going crazy!
Di
Canuck Di

Postby drjudy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Dear Di,

Hot sweaty followed by cold clammy is about what you'd expect during perimenopause. The changes in blood vessels that accompany hot sweaty can set off lightheadedness and palpitations.

Panic attacks are common in this phase of life, and being unpleasantly aware of your heart racing can set off a panic attack. I doubt, however, that you are having hypoglycemic episodes as the origin of your troubles.

There's lots of information available on various 'natural' remedies that other women have found helpful on this board. I recommend, however, that you check in with your doctor to confirm that no other medical problems are complicating your picture, and to hear out what sort of conventional treatments you could opt for as well.

best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

more weird...

Postby katzdu4 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 pm

I have had chronic body & joint aches for the last 2 yrs. I've been checked for Lupus, RH, and just plain old arthritis and all they found was that I had some inflamation evidenced by my blood tests. If I sit for longer than 10 mins., I stiffen up like the tin man in the rain. This aching along with those hot/cold flashes also interferes with my sleep.

My other weird symptom is instead of vaginal dryness I feel like I have KY jelly there all the time. My Dr. said it was ovulation fluid...like I'm in a constant state of ovulation????? That's when she put me on the patch for 4 mos. The patch helped the stickies but now that I'm off of it that yucky stuff is back.

Does anyone else have these problems? I'm tired of the Dr. not being able to find anything wrong and while that is a good thing, I still hurt & feel slippery... :shock:

~~Leandra
katzdu4

Postby drjudy » Sun May 15, 2005 10:38 am

Hi Leandra,

Joints that stiffen and ache with inactivity is one of the best kept secrets of perimenopause. I know it's listed in the 35 symptoms, but somehow it's seldomly discussed. This was one of the worst peri- symptoms for me.

I don't know what to make of your vaginal discharge. That does sound like ovulatory dischage, but you clearly can't be in a state of non-stop ovulation. Whatever it is in the hormonal climate of ovulation that influences the cervical glands to put out copious clear mucous must be operative for you now. Short of suppressing your own hormones with the patch, and I know that's been a mixed bag for you with respect to other symptoms, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Thanks, Dr. Judy!

Postby katzdu4 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:29 pm

Thanks so much Dr. Judy for taking a minute to address my questions. It really helps to know that info. about my joint stiffness. Maybe I'd have better luck if I went to a GYN instead of a fam. practice Dr. or a nurse practitioner for these problems. It is just very hard to find a female gynecologist in my small town area. :roll:

I can deal with the icky discharge...it was just a curious thing and it did stop when I was on the patch. My bladder leaks so wearing Poise panty liners takes care of both problems for me. Not many female urologists around here, either, or I'd get my bladder checked.

At least with the info from this list, I can feel relatively certain that I'm not going CRAZY!!

Hugs to you!!
~!~ Leandra
katzdu4

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause