what exactly do hot flashes feel like?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

what exactly do hot flashes feel like?

Postby tammy27530 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:05 pm

i have been experiencing something that a few people have said sound like a hot flash,but im not sure. i am 32 have had almost complete hysterectomy,have 1 ovary left. the feelings i get are like im burning from my stomach to my head and down my arms,and either with it,just before,or sometimes after i get this weird feeling almost like something is stinging me. what is this? does it sound like a hot flash? could some people please explain what yours feel like? thank you also i almost never sweat with this.
tammy27530

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi Tammy....everyone's experience is quite different, but it certainly sounds like a hotflash to me. I've heard descriptions (including my own) about this internal heat that starts about chest level and slowly works up to the neck and then face..... I've heard some that come on instantly intense all over the body, or some that just their ears get red. I wonder if the "stinging" sensation might have to do with nerve endings? Just a very uneducated guess....

You might want to visit http://www.hysterhome.com where Becky may be able to give you more info too. I'm glad you found us! Sorry you're having to go through all this at such a young age!!
Zero

"power surges"

Postby pb4ugo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:43 pm

My Mom turns bright red and sweats bad when she has a hot flash...mine come on gradually but fast and once I clue in that it has started I am sunk...nothing stops it and it just has to run its course...I also do not sweat with mine...but Oh I really want to strip naked to get away from the heat...(that is really bad when driving a school bus loaded!!! :?)...I am also one of those that have worn sweatshirts all summer in Central Oregon and this summer I started wearing camisoles with built in bras so that I could get undressed when necessary...I don't have a lot of "power surges" but Man they are bad when they hit...My DD's both say that they are my "inner child playing with matches" and they also believe in the "power surge" theory as I get kinda grumpy with them during a hot flash toooo... :twisted:

Happy surging!! :wink:

Dalan
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!!
pb4ugo

Postby tammy27530 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:43 am

minniepz wrote:Hi Tammy....everyone's experience is quite different, but it certainly sounds like a hotflash to me. I've heard descriptions (including my own) about this internal heat that starts about chest level and slowly works up to the neck and then face..... I've heard some that come on instantly intense all over the body, or some that just their ears get red. I wonder if the "stinging" sensation might have to do with nerve endings? Just a very uneducated guess....

You might want to visit http://www.hysterhome.com where Becky may be able to give you more info too. I'm glad you found us! Sorry you're having to go through all this at such a young age!!

i have just found out also i have scoliosis. my dr said it is pulling all of my muscles to the left and it is causing bad muscle spasms. i wonder if the muscle spasms can squeeze your nerve endings and cause it. i guess i should have went to med school :wink: thank you. all of you have been angels to me. i am so glad i found this board. i will be here a long time.

tammy
tammy27530

Postby Zero » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:52 pm

Sorry to hear about the scoliosis, Tammy :( My 18mo old granddaughter has it also. I agree with you that it certainly sounds like it might be your nerve endings creating the sensations you've been having. Keep after your doctors to look at the whole picture.....your hysterectomy, the scoliosis, your hormone levels and even your family history. Sometimes they never consider how anything might be related and then they only treat one or two issues (and usually with prescription meds).

Has anyone suggested chiropractic treatments for you? This is what my son (who IS a chiropractor) is doing for his daughter with the scoliosis, since the only thing that can be done medically is surgery.

I hope you DO stay around here for a long time, but I also want you to get support from many areas like the hysto sites I mentioned and now the scoliosis support groups. Please keep us informed on your situation! Type scoliosis support into Google and there are some very good sites to visit. Just try to educate yourself totally on these conditions that you're dealing with and you'll come out way ahead, ok?
Zero

How can I convince doc to help when blood results are normal

Postby goldie99 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:59 pm

I had a total abdomenal hysterectomy coming up on two years ago this June, my ovaries are still in tact. Gradually I"ve been getting more and more wierd sensations and I'm wondering if it's menopause. My doc keeps telling me my hormone levels are normal, but I just know something is out of wack. The most bothersome symptoms are a strange prickely, static heat sensation that I feel and I can't put a description to it, it's very creepy feeling. Along with the heat sensation I feel restless and extremely irritable. My libido is non existent and I my face is breaking out like crazy. I feel alot of gastric bloating and belching. I'm 43 years old. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that I can take that will make me feel normal again? How can I convince my doc that I'm having this problem despite normal blood test results?
goldie99

Leftover ovaries

Postby drjudy » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:33 am

The problem with leftover ovaries post-hysterectomy is that a lot of them stop working--25% malfunctioning within six months of surgery. It sounds like both of you, Goldie and Tammy, are going through perimenopause, probably earlier than you would've had you not had surgery. It's a phase of wild fluctuations of symptoms--mood, hot flashes, and the signs that doctors love (hormone levels) are normal at times, and totally out of wack at others.

Keep beng assertive with your doctors to work with you on solutions.

Tammy, I agree with Dee that a good chiropractor would be a strong ally to help you keep as healthy as possible during this transition. He/she obviously can't change your scoliosis, but they can optimize your alignment, especially after those spasms pull even harder on your spine. I have also experienced those spasms due to a rotation in my lower back, and my chiropractor has absolutely saved the day for me when every step on my right foot causes the back muscle to seize up. I also believe exercise and GENTLE yoga or pilates under the supervision of a skilled instructor goes a long way to controlling these symptoms. Nothing wrong with a little muscle relaxer either--Skelaxin works well for me but everyone is different in the way they respond to medication.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby AlaskaGirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:55 am

Wow... I'm glad I stumbled upon this place :D !!

It's incredible to see how many others here have also had partial hysterectomies.. I had one ovary removed, and the doc said back then that I would still encounter menopause..

Welp.. now I'm 46 and I've I started having the "Hotflashes from Hell" maybe 3 or so weeks ago!

Mine come on abruptly and are worst during the night (even though it's not restricted only to night time)... When I get one .. YOW :o ... I kick all of the blankets off, tell the dog to take a hike if he's sleeping on the bed.. and a lot of times, I have to get up and cool off somehow..

Seeing as I live in Anchorage, that's not too hard to do.. :wink: I just walk out on the deck in the middle of the night and check on the northern lights while I wait out the hot flash..

The problem is... they are really brief, and the next thing you know... :? I'm freezing my butt off! It's driving me nutz! Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold... GRRRRRR!!!

I guess the good thing for me is that (so far anyway) I haven't noticed any other symptoms.. But the hotflashes are severe and I can't stand them..

I haven't done a ton of research yet.. but I plan to read all of the posts on the board here and see what others here do to try and relieve hotflashes...

Anyhoo... Glad I found you guys! I'm sure I'll have some dumb question to ask after I try to make my way through all the posts :lol:
AlaskaGirl

Postby scottie » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:09 am

"Seeing as I live in Anchorage, that's not too hard to do.. I just walk out on the deck in the middle of the night and check on the northern lights while I wait out the hot flash.."

AKgirl, this sounds lovely! Two of my sons have visited Alaska and loved it!

Back to hot flashes! They feel like you are going to spontaneously combust until finally they subside. I know what you mean about hot, cold, hot cold. There are times that I take one arm out of my jacket so it's half on and half off. Looks dumb, but who cares? :lol:

scottie
scottie

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause