What's happening to me?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

What's happening to me?

Postby dixiesparkles » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:36 am

:?: Recently I've had an onset of just awful things that leave me feeling scared and bring on terrible anxiety. I get very hot at times, which I can deal with, but I feel like I'm running a low grade fever. I'm not sleeping well and now am having these terrible palpatations. That's the scariest part. I haven't had any change in my period so I'm wondering what's going on. I've had a check up and my doctor doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with my heart, so I guess I'm just a little paranoid. I usually feel really tired and drained. I have hypothyroidism, but I treat for that going on 15 years. I take synthroid, and I am considering taking a multi-supplement along with black cohosh. I wonder if that will react with the synthroid. Does anyone here know. I just don't know if I'm starting menopause or not since my period remains the same.
Any advice is appreciated
dixiesparkles

Postby Zero » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:04 am

How old are you, dixiesparkles? That might help determine if your symptoms are related to peri-menopause or the hypothyroidism. I'm sure Dr. Judy will respond to you, but the more info, the better since she does not know all the details of your history.

Please remember that all comments here are not to be considered medical advice, just some guidance as to what you might ask your personal doctor and lots of support in helping you deal with a sometimes trying time of life.
Zero

Postby dixiesparkles » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:49 am

Oh, I am 46 years old, sorry
dixiesparkles

Postby drjudy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:37 am

Dear Dixie,

There's an interesting study that was recently described in The New England Journal of Medicine. The doctors were studying sleep problems, and in the course of their investigations they hooked their female subjects up to monitors of blood pressure and pulse. Coincidentally, one woman in her mid-40's had a hot flash while being monitored. Her blood pressure dropped 40 points and her pulse rate rose significantly. This demonstrated what I've always assumed, namely that palpitations are a big part of menopausal symptoms, and when associated with blood pressure drops, would also cause weakness, dizziness, and anxiety.

I do think your symptoms are associated with the hormonal fluctuations of perimenopause. I do think, however, you should consider with your doctor a test called a holter monitor, where you carry around a small recording device which monitors your heart action for twenty four hours. That way you both can see what your heart does when you experience palpitations. If you don't have palpitations every day, another type of monitor called an event monitor may be more helpful to determine what's going on. There are several types of rapid heart beats that come up even in normal hearts that respond best to specific medication.

Perhaps just knowing that these symptoms are normal and that your palpitations aren't dangerous will be sufficiently reassuring to allow you to carry on. But remember, these darned perimenopausal symptoms can be real show-stoppers, especially anxiety and sleep deprivation. There are things that can be done to alleviate them, so discuss the possibility of some kind of treatment with your doctor.

While you will ultimately come out on the sunny side of menopause, it can take awhile. I'm glad you've found this forum where a lot of other women are sharing their stories and successes about navigating this difficult phase.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause