So Is it Almost Over or Just the Beginning?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

So Is it Almost Over or Just the Beginning?

Postby Zetti » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:05 pm

I love that there is a whole section now for peri problems!!!!

Maybe I'm further along in this grim process than I thought . . . since it took me years to figure out I was even in peri tho a friend of mine like 4-5 yrs ago told me that was why I was so irritable and I thought Hah! I'm too young!

My always like clockwork periods are irregular now, the last one was a real trip to hell, horrible cramps which I normally don't get.

I went to the doc, no insurance right now due to divorce. Doc said my symptoms certainly could be related to peri, tho he thought my dreams of meno may be a bit of wishful thinking . . .

He said the only way to be absolutely clear on what the hormone situation is would be w/blood work that he said was cost prohibitive until my new insurance kicks in. He felt it could wait awhile, nothing seriously wrong w/me.

On the good news side, I've lost 10 lbs in the past yr and my bp was 110/72 (I'm 49 yo).

Doc put me on lexapro for the moods and an older med, I think it's restaril (?) on a prn basis for the sleep problems. He rx'd it b/c it's an old drug and thus very cheap. It was only $23 for 100.

This is the 1st time my periods have gotten off track, it's been over a mo since the last one other than some oddball dribbling a few wks ago. Normally I'm like clockwork every month.

Now I wonder if this means I'm actually close to the end of this joyful time of peri rather than the beginning??? The migraines and nausea are definitely easing up.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:23 am

Hi Zetti....it might be better for you to concentrate on the journey through the "hormonal jungle" rather than the destination (menopause) because there's no way to tell how long it might take to get there. You won't know for sure until you haven't had a period for 12 mo., so if you went 6 mo. without a period thinking, "this is it, I'm on my way to being DONE with this stuff", you could be sorely disappointed if you then had a period and have to start counting all over again...... honestly, it works on us mentally! It's better just to make every day the best it can be and become educated about what to expect.....make yourself as healthy as you can during this time and the entire process will be not so dreadful.

The awareness we have today has completely changed the face of menopause! MENOPAUSE IS NOT A DISEASE, IT'S A LIFESTYLE (tm) We need to start broadcasting that to the world! :) As a matter of fact, I have made it available on shirts, mousepads, journals and lots of other stuff in the Minnie Pauz Shop! http://www.cafepress.com/minniepauzshop/162238
Zero

Postby Zetti » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:27 pm

minniepz wrote:Hi Zetti....it might be better for you to concentrate on the journey through the "hormonal jungle" rather than the destination (menopause) because there's no way to tell how long it might take to get there. You won't know for sure until you haven't had a period for 12 mo., so if you went 6 mo. without a period thinking, "this is it, I'm on my way to being DONE with this stuff", you could be sorely disappointed if you then had a period and have to start counting all over again...... honestly, it works on us mentally! It's better just to make every day the best it can be and become educated about what to expect.....make yourself as healthy as you can during this time and the entire process will be not so dreadful.

So true. As my doc said: *A watched pot never boils*.

I still haven't even missed one period, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause