Doctor says I am too young! (I am 46)

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Doctor says I am too young! (I am 46)

Postby judyc » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:11 pm

Hi, New here. I have been having, what I believe to be Perimenapausal symtoms for over 6 years or so. I am now 46. My obgyn always tells me that I am too young.

Well, my Mother went through menopause at age 42, other relatives were 39 or right around there.

Things seem to be getting worse. My obgyn did put me on the Pill (Apri) for EVERY DAY, I have been on it for over 4 years. I have a period only about once every 4-5 months, if even that. This is for only about 2-3 days. I was put on the pill to stop my periods as they were extremely painful- I'd even pass out due to the pain, at times. Also, the pill was to help with migraines. So, I was not on the pill for any menopausal reasons. She says there is no need to stop the pill to find out if I am entering menopuase as I am too young.

However, I have difficulty sleeping, have for the past 2 years. In the past 2-4 months I have been having, what I think, to be Night Sweats. I am not sure. My bed does not get really soaked, but it does get wet in different areas, from my sweating. My pillow gets quite wet. I don't understand, because it is not hot in my bedroom. I am a little warm when I discover I've been sweating, but certainly not hot!

I am also more itchy than normal. Dry skin, I think. I've not heard that could be a symptom, until I read the possible symtoms that "Minnie Pauz" has posted.

I am not sure if I have hot flashes or not. I had noticed in the past I'd get suddenly warm, at times too warm when others are quite comfortable. Occasionally I have it happen now, too. But not enough for me to noitice it, not a problem at this time. BUT the NIGHT SWEATS are, it is almost everynight.

I am tired during the day, or just fatigued. This is probably due to not sleeping. So....................what do you think?

Should I insist a test to see if I am menopausal or what? Is there anything that can be done about the night sweats if I am? I see my GYN in December. I only see her once a year. Do I need to be more assertive at getting tested.
Judy
judyc

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:48 am

Judy, what would you do different if a test showed that you were starting the process? It definitely sounds like you're in peri-menopause (you won't be in menopause until you've had no periods for 12 mo.), and many women start even earlier than 46. My periods STOPPED at age 41 and I've never had another one since then....I'm 56 now. There's really no definite path that every woman is going to follow, so it's good to educate yourself on the wide range of possibilities, consider your own health history and habits and determine how you want to deal with this transition.

The main thing is to trust your instincts. You have several of the symptoms that indicate that you are indeed starting to "change" and you really don't have to have a test to tell you that your body is producing less estrogen. Talking to other women and hearing the stories tends to give us all more confidence in knowing what is going on with our bodies.

Welcome to the club, Kiddo!!
Zero

Postby drjudy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:46 am

Dear Judy,

I've never understood this "too young" business. I've seen women with menopausal symptoms at 26, although then it's called premature ovarian failure. While being on the pill is a reasonable strategy through perimenopause, as you can see, it's no guarantee that you won't have symptoms, and they tend to be the worst during the week off of the pill.

The advantages of checking for menopause, as I see it, are two. One, you won't feel discounted and like you're losing your mind as you get confirmation that you're there (and I suspect that you are fully into menopause, and the few periods you get are pill-induced). Two, if the pill is not controlling your menopausal symptoms, it may be time to try other strategies, including not taking a week off from the pill, coming off the pill and trying a hormone therapy that provides more even levels of hormones, or switching to the birth control patch Ortho Evra).

If your gyn. is more in an obstetrical phase of her professional life (oriented towards women still in their reproductive phase of life), you might ask around and find a doctor who's interested in treating the whole woman who's in the next life adventure.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby debo » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:04 pm

OK, I'm a newbie, and I had a MOST horrible experience at the doctors yesterday...

I have been experiencing many (over 2/3) of the sypmtoms described here in this forum..3-4 months between cycles, the hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. I have been discussing this with my doctor, (a FEMALE doctor, by the way) who says I am 'too young' to be even peri-menopausal...when I was outlining the symptoms I've been experiencing over the past 3 years, and she's been my doctor this long, she suggested, are you ready for this...PSYCHIATRIC COUNSELING!!! You can imagine my shock, and the feeling of being completely alone..not to mention wondering if maybe I was nuts...I've been going to the same doctor for the last three years now, and have complained of several of the sypmtoms listed, at different times..the itchy skin, sleeplesness, easily agitated, etc...she's never really done anything about any of it. I had almost made up my mind to change doctors yesterday, after visiting your forums here, my mind is now made up. Time for a different doctor!!
debo

Postby Zero » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:07 pm

Good for you, Debo! We don't have to "settle" for a doctor who doesn't seem to be up on the latest information OR who doesn't seem sensitive to what you've been telling her for 3 years. You didn't mention your age, but the main thing is that your questions be answered, your concerns be addressed and that you aren't treated like a child when it comes to your health.
Zero

When It's Our Time, It's Our Time

Postby lynie pause » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:45 pm

JudyC,

I can't believe your doc. thought you were too young, what is with that...your body is the one that tells you what is wrong and your body does not go by the book when its time.....geese, I'm 43 and going through it alot of women am sure would wish there were a exact date and time when we all would go through it...if we only wished for that., a yr. say 50 and we all would go through it at same time, could you imagine? The whole world going through it at that same intervals? When it's time for us it's time and we must adjust. I would seak more advice is my opinion and this place is one good place to start I feel. It has been a great help to me.

Lynie..good luck Judy :lol:
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:08 pm

:evil: Debo, that's intense. Run, don't walk. These "doctors" need this site for their education. Dee, why don't you go back to school for your obgyn license?

:)

stories like this are why for me it's all about DIY; educate yourself, trust your own perceptions. use common sense, but know you are the one who is closest to the truth of your own body, what you're going through! :twisted:

sfogrrl

Postby Zero » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:08 pm

Anonymous wrote::evil: Debo, that's intense. Run, don't walk. These "doctors" need this site for their education. Dee, why don't you go back to school for your obgyn license?

:)

stories like this are why for me it's all about DIY; educate yourself, trust your own perceptions. use common sense, but know you are the one who is closest to the truth of your own body, what you're going through! :twisted:

sfogrrl

Oh my goodness....I'd be afraid of having a cartoonist as MY ob-gyn!! hahahaha!! This is why we have Dr. Judy in the house! But you're right on about the DIY, sfogrrl.....this is what I've been teaching for 7 years now! And I think women are doing a great job of helping each other find the information they need, as well as the courage and the encouragement to tackle all these changes!
Zero

GEESE O DEB O

Postby lynie pause » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:01 pm

DEB O,

I can't believe there are that many doctors ou there that don't understand and expecially her being a women, what a world we live in huh? Apparently she has not gone through it or somethin? I would defently check out other doctors after that comment like you really need someone to give you bad advice or make you feel that way. As women going through this sometimes we already feel like we are losing it but we don't need that extra push towards those thoughts, do we? :cry: :roll: Good luck to you and all the women who find people out there that are not understanding hang on and hang in there. :wink:

Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby toolgirl150 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:03 pm

Wel, y'all are not to young. I'm 39 and I believe I'm just starting perimenopause. I don't have all the symptoms, but enough to give me a heads up. EVERYTHING I have read that the symptoms can start as early as 35, shame on that dr for making you worry. Ive just got to say, I'm glad i read here and around the internet before I ran to my doctor all panicky....

You are definatley not alone...
toolgirl150

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause