Could I be perimenopausal?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Postby Anne » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:05 pm

:) Hi I have a lot of questions but I'll try to be brief. I am 40 years old. My mom was menopausal at 52, completely without a period. I have an anxiety disorder that I have had for a number of years. I have learned how to deal with it and I am currently taking Luvox, which keeps my anxiety under control. I am by no means a nervous, uptight person. I love my life, two GREAT kids, loving, kind husband and a close network of friends. I am an avid jogger and I am a grade two teacher. A job I adore. Lately, I have noticed that my heart speeds up. It is like I can feel it beating fast. It doesn't happen all the time and doesn't happen in situations that may cause anxiety. I have been told by several doctors that I have low blood pressure, very low, 90/60. Plus I go to bed and I am totally not tired, not all the time but maybe once every two weeks. Usually my heart is beating rapidly at the same time. Yet I don't feel anxious or worried about things. I am a very happy person, a real giggler.
Anne

Postby Zero » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:08 am

Hi Anne! It's possible that you're starting the process (I was post-menopausal by 41/42). It's really just a matter of recognizing the symptoms (http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html) and being aware of what's going on with your body. Have you mentioned it to your doctor? Has there been any change at all in your periods?
Zero

Postby Anne » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:08 pm

:) Hi Dee! I've noticed that my periods are coming about every 5 or 5.5 weeks, my breasts are very tender and my period will start, then stop and then come on really heavy for 1 day. After that heavy, heavy day it is light for about 2 or 3 days.
Thanks for responding. Let me know what you think.
Kendall
P.S. This is a great website, very informative.
Anne

Postby drjudy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:42 pm

Dear Kendall,

Perimenopause is defined by a change in your menstrual cycle from a previous normal. I think with your longer cycles, tender breasts, heavy stuttering kind of bleeding, that you meet that definition.

Whether or not hormonal changes are causing your heart palpitations, if they are driving you crazy, affecting your sleep, making you anxious, lowering your blood pressure, making you dizzy, then you should figure out what is going on. There are two kinds of portable, small heart monitors that can be worn (Holter or event) that would indicate what your heart was doing at the times that you feel it speed up. Ask your doctor if one of these testing devices is appropriate for you so you can find out what is happening and what, if anything, can be done about it.

You may be years away from menopause, but perimenopause can go on and on and very much affect the quality of your life.

Good luck,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause