Early onset?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Early onset?

Postby Tab » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Has anyone here experienced early onset menopause? If so how early? I have an appointment with my doctor next week, but I'm trying to find out all I can before I go in.
I figured I've just been having severe night sweats, but as I started to read up on that, the meno-symptoms are looking way too familiar. I'm sure they will check my thyroid and test for diabetes when I go, but none of these options sound too appealing...
Any info on early onset would be helpful. (Or hopefully, help me not worry about it so much since I haven't been able to have children yet... a whole other story) Thanks all!
Tab

Postby drjudy » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:50 pm

Dear Tab,

You didn't mention how old you are, or whether or not your periods are wacky. It is certainly possible to experience early menopause--I've had one patient go through it at 26, but at that age it's called premature ovarian failure.

Perimenopause, marked by changes in cycles and other symptoms, can go on for years. So even if you're experiencing early signs of ovarian faltering, you may have years before you actually cease menstruating altogether. Checking for other reasons for your symptoms is a reasonable strategy.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause